Seravalli: Significant interest in Texier, Columbus asking for 1st and roster player

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
What is with all of these teams asking for 1st rounders and a prospect for guys who clearly should not bring back that kind of return? It's just bizarre to me.

Why would a team pay a prospect and a 1st for Texier when they could add to that slightly and get someone like Boeser or Miller? It's just odd. Texier is definitely unique due to being so young and cheap, but still. I'd rather add a bit more to get a substantially better player than spend that kind of capital on someone like Texier.

If it plays out in this way, it's just supply and demand. Few teams looking to add can afford Boeser or Miller (Vancouver's willingness to actually retain salary is a ?) moving forward without major surgery. Few teams looking to add can't afford Texier or Hagel outright.

Jovavic

Concept of a Plan
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Only way Jarmo does this is because he thinks Tex isn't an everyday player long term because of his injuries. He was only just now playing like he did when he first came over a few years ago because of a serious back injury. I'm not ready to hang the Glascal LeClaire sign on him just yet...but I'm not the one making the decisions.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Only way Jarmo does this is because he thinks Tex isn't an everyday player long term because of his injuries. He was only just now playing like he did when he first came over a few years ago because of a serious back injury. I'm not ready to hang the Glascal LeClaire sign on him just yet...but I'm not the one making the decisions.
If that's the case then nobody is going to give up a 1st and a roster player for someone whose own GM doesn't think is a long term every day player.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
If you're team is going to draft late and you need a winger, I think it's a no brainer to add Texier at that price.
What are the realistic expectation for that first anyway? Texier is only 22 years old, you'd be lucky to get a players who becomes as good with that pick.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I don’t get this one…. This is not a player teams would shop given his age.

if Columbus was a contending team this might be something they would offer in acquiring a deadline player.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Let's parse what's being written.

1) The CBJ are taking calls on Texier, who is generating interest.

If this is to be believed, then the team is not shopping him around, but merely being contacted about the player and not hanging up.

2) The ask is a first-rounder and a roster player.

Sounds like the kind of ask where you don't really want to trade the player but if you can get an above-market return, you'd consider/do it.

I, like many CBJ fans, really like Texier. I don't want him traded. But he seems to have settled in as a not-center, and there are a lot of those both on the current roster and in the pipeline. I guess you could see possibly moving him if something valuable is coming back. Sounds like Jarmo might be thinking along the same lines.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Sakic should be all over this.

This is likely the same situation as Hagel...he's a great young player who has shown growth this year and does a ton of things really well with speed. He's also a bargain for another year and still an UFA after that. It's not so much that their clubs are trying to deal these players - it's that they are premier (especially when you take into account age, upside and contract) role players that should be able to extract surprisingly impressive packages from contending teams.

Everything I like about Hagel I like about Texier even more. I think his upside is significantly higher. He will need a raise one year earlier (summer '23) but sheesh, for $1.5 million for this year and next and still only an RFA after that? Every single analytics-driven and speed-driven franchise who wants to improve but doesn't have a lot of cap flexibility is going to be all over him, even if the price is a 1st++.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Reality is, of course Columbus is taking calls on Texier. They aren't actively shopping Texier. He's had a great year with a freak injury (broken finger - slash I believe) and can play up and down the lineup. He's exactly the type of player Columbus needs long term, in my opinion. I don't see him moved without a king's ransom. He's skilled, plays with a little edge, all three zones and has speed. Oh, and he's only 22. Just don't see this aside from a team calling Columbus and saying "Hey, any chance you would move Texier?".... "Sure, but it's going to hurt. He's exactly the type of player we want long term."

I think we'll see plenty of this type of thing beyond Texier. Just about every team that's out has a player, or few, that other teams would want. Why not ask...

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I think this is the part of the thread where I come in and declare that this player, that I've never really focused on, is not worth a 1st.

Reactions: Byrral

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Reality is, of course Columbus is taking calls on Texier. They aren't actively shopping Texier. He's had a great year with a freak injury (broken finger - slash I believe) and can play up and down the lineup. He's exactly the type of player Columbus needs long term, in my opinion. I don't see him moved without a king's ransom. He's skilled, plays with a little edge, all three zones and has speed. Oh, and he's only 22. Just don't see this aside from a team calling Columbus and saying "Hey, any chance you would move Texier?".... "Sure, but it's going to hurt. He's exactly the type of player we want long term."

I think we'll see plenty of this type of thing beyond Texier. Just about every team that's out has a player, or few, that other teams would want. Why not ask...

Yeah, it's the Hagel situation.

Fortunately for CBJ fans, most people have at least heard of Texier so not quite as many "dur dur dur who is this guy Columbus is crazy they can't get that for a third liner I don't know anything about dur dur dur guess my 30 year-old third pairing defender is worth 1st too dur dur dur" comments in this thread.

Reactions: Dumais and Viqsi

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
What is with all of these teams asking for 1st rounders and a prospect for guys who clearly should not bring back that kind of return? It's just bizarre to me.

Why would a team pay a prospect and a 1st for Texier when they could add to that slightly and get someone like Boeser or Miller? It's just odd. Texier is definitely unique due to being so young and cheap, but still. I'd rather add a bit more to get a substantially better player than spend that kind of capital on someone like Texier.

Because most contending teams absolutely cannot afford guys like Boeser or Miller without sending cap back and they either don't want to do that or can't do that.

Its one of the reasons rentals have been more expensive.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
If you're team is going to draft late and you need a winger, I think it's a no brainer to add Texier at that price.
What are the realistic expectation for that first anyway? Texier is only 22 years old, you'd be lucky to get a players who becomes as good with that pick.
He'd be awesome on Nashville's 2nd line.

Reactions: jfhabs

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The Leafs have Dermott and Kerfoot available, a 2nd and a prospect is acceptable and much cheaper than the 1st+prospect everyone wants for their mediocre players :P

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Sakic should be all over this.

This is likely the same situation as Hagel...he's a great young player who has shown growth this year and does a ton of things really well with speed. He's also a bargain for another year and still an UFA after that. It's not so much that their clubs are trying to deal these players - it's that they are premier (especially when you take into account age, upside and contract) role players that should be able to extract surprisingly impressive packages from contending teams.

Everything I like about Hagel I like about Texier even more. I think his upside is significantly higher. He will need a raise one year earlier (summer '23) but sheesh, for $1.5 million for this year and next and still only an RFA after that? Every single analytics-driven and speed-driven franchise who wants to improve but doesn't have a lot of cap flexibility is going to be all over him, even if the price is a 1st++.
Agree with that. Texier would fit very nicely on the Avs given his speed, and the low caphit would offer a tonne of flexibility in the off-season.

If the ask if 1st + roster player I wonder if Avs 2023 1st + Compher would be of interest to CBJ.

Reactions: josra33

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
The Coleman / goodrow trades has everyone thinking their player (on a decent contract) should earn them a 1st.
I don't know where he's played in the lineup this year but his PPG looks decent for that price and I remember being impressed with him in our last meeting with Columbus in the playoffs. I wouldn't hate a 1st+Raddysh for him with appropriate retention, but I seriously doubt Columbus would do that.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Says Frank Seravalli, who talks about "taking calls" but not making them. There's a difference between listening to interested parties and trying to solicit interest.

taking calls means hes for sale.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Pittsburgh’s first would be in the 20s or hopefully 32nd. Pittsburgh’s 1st + defensive stalwart Zach Aston-Reese. Get a cheaper winger to replace Rust/Kap/Zucker all or some may be gone after this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad