Seravalli: Significant interest in Texier, Columbus asking for 1st and roster player

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Texier is finally coming through as a top-6 forward with skill and speed. The only issue is the Jackets need a center and Tex is showing he is most effective as a winger (which the Jackets are loaded up on with Laine, Voracek, Bjorkstrand, Nyquist, Chinakhov, Domi, etc. etc.).

A 1st is fair, especially if it is coupled with a roster player as a cap dump.

His primary drawback is ability to stay healthy.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What is with all of these teams asking for 1st rounders and a prospect for guys who clearly should not bring back that kind of return? It's just bizarre to me.

Why would a team pay a prospect and a 1st for Texier when they could add to that slightly and get someone like Boeser or Miller? It's just odd. Texier is definitely unique due to being so young and cheap, but still. I'd rather add a bit more to get a substantially better player than spend that kind of capital on someone like Texier.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
What is with all of these teams asking for 1st rounders and a prospect for guys who clearly should not bring back that kind of return? It's just bizarre to me.

Why would a team pay a prospect and a 1st for Texier when they could add to that slightly and get someone like Boeser or Miller? It's just odd. Texier is definitely unique due to being so young and cheap, but still. I'd rather add a bit more to get a substantially better player than spend that kind of capital on someone like Texier.

It's the Goodrow Coleman Effect.

Young effective roster player with a little term @ small money. It means the asset is worth more than what the player is probably worth in a vacuum.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007

True but once these guys are traded or teams are out of the running for them, they will circle back around to these secondary guys

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think the big thing is Tex has 2 years at $1.5 million and then is still an RFA. Maybe teams are desperate to shed payroll.

Also, he has 11 goals in 36 games this season so maybe someone tries to buy right when he is breaking out.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
A lot of teams are just fishing, seeing if they can get an overpayment. In the end all these teams asking for a 1st plus for players, not many will actually get their asking price and no trade will happen or at a reduced price. I mean why not ask for overpayments, if you don't ask then you're likely not to get it.

This comment is a general statement, not just aimed at this one rumor.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Why would Columbus deal Texier? He's one of their most valuable assets. He is a great player and a Canes killer. I'd pay the moon to get Texier on my team. Does Alexandre want out of Columbus? I can't fathom why the CBJ fans would want to deal Tex.

This is my thinking too. He's so young, so cheap and has so much upside. I doesn't matter what phase you think your team is in, that's a great building block.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010

Savard and Foligno got a 1st last year.
Would you rather Toronto acquired Texier? I would.
Tampa won the cup so I'm not going to fault them for their move. They clearly didn't regret winning.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
As a CBJ fan, this one is a shocker.

I don't want to trade Tex, he's finally starting to break out. Brings some swagger that our team is lacking.

That said, I'm not opposed to the idea if the price is right...

Reactions: cslebn

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I'd love Texier in Ottawa, if we ended up outside of the top 10 I'd consider giving up our 1st this year for him. "roster player" is pretty vague, So a 11-15 pick+Chris Tierney? I may be alone on HFSens in this offer, but I'd do it.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
This doesn't seem like a bad price, albeit "roster play" is quite the broad statement. Why are they souring on a young cost controlled guy who seems destined for a 2C spot long term?

Edit: maybe the answer is he isn't a C in the long term? Is he sticking at winger?

Kellen

Apr 17, 2019
No way this is actually true.

He fits the rebuild age, is finally starting to break out- if not for his injury I think there is tons of hype around him, he was doing great playing with Kuraly and Robinson for god sakes- give him actual line mates and watch.

kids made of glass however

Reactions: cslebn

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Teams are going to have to ask the NHL to have 2 1st rounds in the draft....because it seems like every player rumored to be available is worth a 1st.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad