Value of: Should Rangers trade Lafreniere?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Should Rangers trade Lafreniere?

• Total voters

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Kings short of wingers. Would happily give a 1st and some good centre prospects for Laf. Kings give Vilardi, Turcotte, Madden and 1st. Doubt Rangers interested in trading him tho.

all of that for Laf?! I think that would be an easy "yes" from Rangers at this point.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Point per game, two-way winger? If he peaks one season like that, I will be amazed. 80-point players in NHL are rare.

He'll be a top 9 forward most of his career with a few years in the top 6. I take Quebec junior stats with a grain of salt. I know Crosby. But lots of flameouts. I like Kakko puck sense more.

Lafreniere's problem is he'll carry around #1 overall his whole career. If he tops out as a 50 to 60 point guy, that's actually pretty darn good in the world's best league. But I had people telling me this guy was a lock as a superstar. Couldn't be parted with for Eichel. Ever. In a redraft 2020, today, pretty clear he doesn't go #1.

Miya tough to say. He was the consensus/undisputed No1 in that draft by literally every scout.
On a bottom feeder/ rebuilding club does he put up 25 goals 50 pts this/last year??? Who knows.
Depending if they just kept feeding him heavy minutes/PP time warts and all.
Having watched every minute of LaF/Kakko since they’ve been drafted, the only thing kakko does better then LaF currently is skate, and it took him 2 years to get to that point.
He literally went from possibly the worst NHL player from 2 years ago, to a dependable defensive fwd, and now he’s just finally starting to produce points.
Both these guys are used to playing a lot of minutes all their lives, I’m sure it was a bit of a shock to both being 3rd line guys in limited situations for 2 seasons without any time on the PP or quality line mates.
Covid certainly also had a developmental impact imo.
But mainly it’s the skating/opportunity. If you don’t get that, there’s really no way to build confidence.
Not including either for Eichel was the right move when you also factor in the financial loss of Zibby.
They would have basically been losing a PPG C in his prime for nothing just to bring in Eichel, while he’s very good, also has his own health issues.
No reason to give up all those years of control for 2 guys who are going to be very important contributors in the future.
Actually, the silver lining in all this for the rangers is neither guy should really get a huge next deal unless LaF has close to a ppg season next year....
But trading 1 of kakko/LaF for Eichel and losing Zibby for nothing ( had a NMC on final contract year) would have been 1 step fwd and 2 steps back.
And I was perhaps the biggest supporter of bringing Eichel to NYR.
I’m not sure how you can label LaF Nolan Patrick but be happy with Krebs as the main piece coming back....
Krebs likely tops out as a solid 2C if all goes well imo...
3, maybe 4 years of Tuch if they think they can resign him
And a late 1st....
That’s hardly a haul compared to some of the proposals Sabres fans where throwing out saying that’s the least they get.

Last edited:

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Rangers then lose Zibanejad (who they most likely can't sign), get rid of Kakko or Laf, for Eichel and whatever they brought back for Zibanejad. Not sure that puts them in a better position going forward. Still a big hole.

Zibanejad is signed long term already for the Rags...

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Zibanejad is signed long term already for the Rags...
Yes, once rangers resigned zibby, that pretty much killed any pursuit of Eichel ( financially).
Rangers biggest need is a cost controlled 2C that’s solid 2-way and has runway to improve.
Basically a long term replacement for Strome

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Kings short of wingers. Would happily give a 1st and some good centre prospects for Laf. Kings give Vilardi, Turcotte, Madden and 1st. Doubt Rangers interested in trading him tho.
Yeah, they’d trade Kempe before they make that idiotic trade

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I agree. You do it for an established top 10 scorer in the league. One that plays Center and is on the PP/PK and has tons of grit and leadership.
Lol. A 35 game sample doesn’t make him a top 10 scorer (for the record he’s currently 15th.). He’s a good player. A career .660 ppg player. Outside this season he’s only ever scored at a ppg once (in 10 seasons). So maybe dial back the hyperbole on him. Yes. Miller is a good player. Yes. He’s worth a good deal in a trade. But no team moves a former 1st AO who’s just in his second season.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I can see why a person would look at trading him now if they truly think he is going to bust and get what you can now . However I think it’s still too early and way too risky to give up on him this soon . It would be nearly impossible to know for sure .

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
They definitely need to do something about their forward development. To date, they only have a combined 169 points out of forwards drafted 1st, 2nd, 9th & 21st between 2017-2020. 1st, 2nd, 9th & 21st overall in the 2022 draft would land you damn near anyone short of McDavid in a trade. Can't keep squandering high firsts like they did with Lias Andersson.

Lafreniere has another year of his ELC to play with, but the other three should be fair game this season/off-season.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
no, any expected return is not enuf.

key here is recognize LaF is fully all we thought/hoped, EXCEPT his teen legs are still being worked out to get to primo NHL level.

Like Strome, he is an adequate + skater at the moment. He looks good w/Strome b'c they are at the same level of skating.

Unlike Strome, who has plateaued as far as skating is concerned, LaF is still improving.

Rangers should stop using Strome as a crutch, sell offensively gifted 2C for a proft, use Barron at 3C, get offensive boost from Kravtsov as soon as he can get here. Use Chytil as 2C LaF-Chytil [better skater than either LaF/Strome] and Gauthier [great skater w/Kreider-esque speed]. Let that line grow together as LaF skating develops.

Impatience, win now foolishness is not the answer in the long run

also
CAP CAP CAP
Lafreniere is not a teenager. He's turning 21 this year. I don't expect his skating to really get much better. Look at his skating from 2 years ago at the WJC, it's really not any better today than it was then.

Rangers would be lucky if his skating were his biggest problem.

Reactions: danteipp

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Lafreniere is not a teenager. He's turning 21 this year. I don't expect his skating to really get much better. Look at his skating from 2 years ago at the WJC, it's really not any better today than it was then.

Rangers would be lucky if his skating were his biggest problem.

What is his biggest problem?

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
Yes, once rangers resigned zibby, that pretty much killed any pursuit of Eichel ( financially).
Rangers biggest need is a cost controlled 2C that’s solid 2-way and has runway to improve.
Basically a long term replacement for Strome

Filip Chytil? Please, please, please!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad