Value of: Should Rangers trade Lafreniere?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Should Rangers trade Lafreniere?

• Total voters

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
if yes for what return?

I remember when he and Kakko couldn't be traded for Eichel. Vegas will look like the smartest team in the league shortly. Rangers should have grabbed Eichel. Lafreniere is Nolan Patrick level player. His stats show it and when you watch games, he just doesn't look like a dominant player who can drive games. I think Kakko's upside is higher.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
It's surprising to me to see him struggle on the offensive points area but the kid just dominated the WJC at age 18 when you usually see that in age 19 seasons. Not too many have dominated like that in their draft year at age 18.

Regardless, it's not about him busting. It's about flipping him for a center of equal value and potential if they consider a trade.

Yea he’ll get there. Hopefully soon. But that’s really the only way a deal gets done. I have no idea how the brass rate Wright internally, I’m sure it’s high. But I have no clue who they rate higher between him/LaF. But you’re right, a center of that magnitude would be the only way a deal gets done

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yea he’ll get there. Hopefully soon. But that’s really the only way a deal gets done. I have no idea how the brass rate Wright internally, I’m sure it’s high. But I have no clue who they rate higher between him/LaF. But you’re right, a center of that magnitude would be the only way a deal gets done

Personally, I think anybody in that top 5 will have maturity issues in the NHL from age 18-20... including Wright. He's a very good talent at center and plays a 200' game well but the days of young guys coming in and dominating are few and far between. Takes time

Pre draft, I had Lafreniere as a Huberdeau talent on wing. I got jumped for saying it cause #1OA and what he did at the WJC at age 18 had people emotionally tied to him being a star out of the gate. Some posters probably think Wright dominates early too. I have my doubts on that

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I remember when he and Kakko couldn't be traded for Eichel. Vegas will look like the smartest team in the league shortly. Rangers should have grabbed Eichel. Lafreniere is Nolan Patrick level player. His stats show it and when you watch games, he just doesn't look like a dominant player who can drive games. I think Kakko's upside is higher.
Sure....
I’d re-evaluate when LaF has an extra year of development like Kakko.
LaF by far has a better shot and is a better finisher.
Comparing him to Patrick is pretty off. The kid will probably get around 20 goals as a 19 yr old on one of the better teams in the league this season with no major PP time and 3rd line minutes.
I’d wager this post looks pretty silly by the time LaF is 21-22.
I’d wager he tops out as a PPG solid physical 2-way responsible winger.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
If the Rangers were looking to move him for another prospect, then the Sens should offer Tyler Boucher (10th overall pick 2021) for Laf.

NYR scouts were in on Boucher before the Sens picked him. Boucher had a rough go at his college stint, just signed and will play in the OHL when it resumes, currently practising with Belleville Sens. Missed hockey because of COVID last year, so the Sens took a big swing at his potential given his tools. Post draft some projected his potential to be a Tom Wilson type impact player - very physical, perhaps less pugilistic and more speedy. A playoff type player who provides physicality and offence.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the Rangers were looking to move him for another prospect, then the Sens should offer Tyler Boucher (10th overall pick 2021) for Laf.

NYR scouts were in on Boucher before the Sens picked him. Boucher just signed and will play in the OHL when it resumes, currently practising with Belleville Sens. Missed hockey because of COVID last year, so the Sens took a big swing at his potential given his tools. Post draft some projected his potential to be a Tom Wilson type impact player - very physical, perhaps more pugilistic and speedy.

I don't think Boucher turns the needle. Lafreniere still has top 5 value IMO. Boucher is a good young talent but that's not the piece I see the Rangers trading Lafreneire for. Might change in a few years if he continues to struggle at age 21/22 but that's a story for another day

Reactions: armani

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I don't think Lafreniere is at Patrick's level of disappointment yet. Maybe it happens but he's a long way away from that level of disappointment. Lafreniere is not far off of what Hughes did in his 2nd season when you factor in usage. Hughes doesn't have anybody blocking him from #1PP unit and top line minutes

Who is better between Kakko and Lafreniere? Guess work and way to early to act like experts on that one.

I do agree with your Vegas statement though. They are legit contenders now like Tampa is. Knights vs Lightning final would be entertaining IMO. Lets hope Eichel's surgery holds up over time.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

no, no need for bad neck, high cap, and high trade return Eichel. And Nolan Patrick had major injury issues, terrible comparison to Lafreniere. Laf is kind of similar to Buchnevich lots of good skills, but not really a a dominant offensive driver.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
hmmmm. I actually like this. Would the Rags do Habs 2022 1st (unprotected) + 2 x 2022 3rd's for Laf?

I would be willing to part with that from a Habs POV. Especially if we acquire another 1st or two via Chairot, Gally or Allen
Your basically the only one willing to part with our 2022 first.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
What if the Habs just OS him in summer 2023??? Depending on his development, we could really make NYR squirm with a solid OS!

That would be the perfect scenario after drafting Wright and Bedard in the next two drafts!
Good luck with that.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Rangers then lose Zibanejad (who they most likely can't sign), get rid of Kakko or Laf, for Eichel and whatever they brought back for Zibanejad. Not sure that puts them in a better position going forward. Still a big hole.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
The only trade that would make sense and help them is for a C to compete. Unfortunately, they have cap challenges next year with Zibanejad and Fox both having their extensions come in. Strome could come off the books, if not and he is extended, he'll add to the problems.

Having Lafreniere on his ELC gives them another season to make some changes for cap reasons.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
If Kings offer 1st + Byfield for Laf is that too much or too little?

lol what?

The Kings will not do that under any circumstance !!!!!

I watched the Kings-Rangers game very closely and couldn't find a single player i would even be remotely be interested in.
In general the Rangers looked incredible slow and this against one of the slowest teams of the league.
I couldn't even say if Kakko played, Laf at least got a tripping penalty if i remember.

the Rangers would do themself a very big favor to keep Kakko and Laf and see what they can do growing up a little. Kakko is on pace for a career high season and Laf will most likely reach the 20 goal mark.
Right now their trade value would be more than underwhelming

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Personally, I think anybody in that top 5 will have maturity issues in the NHL from age 18-20... including Wright. He's a very good talent at center and plays a 200' game well but the days of young guys coming in and dominating are few and far between. Takes time

Pre draft, I had Lafreniere as a Huberdeau talent on wing. I got jumped for saying it cause #1OA and what he did at the WJC at age 18 had people emotionally tied to him being a star out of the gate. Some posters probably think Wright dominates early too. I have my doubts on that
Same. I don’t think Wright is a Crosby/McDavid type 1OA. He will likely be a very good player in a few seasons though. it’s really tough to say how his first year stats wise will go. Most 1-2-3 even top 5 oVA picks usually go to rebuilding teams that finish near the bottom of the standings, not on teams that have solid vets ahead of them. I guess a lot will depend on who drafts him, how they use him, and if their team is playing for a playoff spot/division winner at the time he starts.
On a rebuilding team that has nothing to lose, it wouldn’t shock me at all if they play Wright 18-20 min a night in all situations warts and all and not really care if he makes mistakes.
If that’s the case, it won’t surprise me if he has a better 1st year then Hughes/LaF stats wise.
Having panarin/Kreids ahead of him at LW has def cut out a lot of ice time/opportunity for LaF so far. That won’t always be the case.
Hopefully Kreids maybe switches to RW in the near future, or maybe even is traded next season or the following year.
Once LaF refines his skating a bit more, as well as becomes more comfortable with NHL itself, they are going to have to get him more ice time.
It’s very likely next season that he takes over Stromes spot presumably on our 1PP.
All of that ice time with Fox/Panarin/Zibby/Kreider should have a major uptick on his numbers when the opposing team has 1 less guy on the ice.
Even if they want him to roll on 3rd line for 1 more full season after this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs Halifax

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
lol what?

The Kings will not do that under any circumstance !!!!!

I watched the Kings-Rangers game very closely and couldn't find a single player i would even be remotely be interested in.
In general the Rangers looked incredible slow and this against one of the slowest teams of the league.
I couldn't even say if Kakko played, Laf at least got a tripping penalty if i remember.

the Rangers would do themself a very big favor to keep Kakko and Laf and see what they can do growing up a little. Kakko is on pace for a career high season and Laf will most likely reach the 20 goal mark.
Right now their trade value would be more than underwhelming

Yeah I did not see Byfield playing either, not even a single minute of icetime :sarcasm:

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Yeah I did not see Byfield playing either, not even a single minute of icetime :sarcasm:

Because we know how to develop players.
It's a good thing if 19 years old are not running the show

Anyways, do not listen to all the other ghouls, keep both Kakko and Laf, i really think they will turn into something great each.
I would love to get Kakko to the Kings but don't see any reasonable way for both teams to make it happen

KingKempe9

Feb 18, 2019
Kings short of wingers. Would happily give a 1st and some good centre prospects for Laf. Kings give Vilardi, Turcotte, Madden and 1st. Doubt Rangers interested in trading him tho.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Sure....
I’d re-evaluate when LaF has an extra year of development like Kakko.
LaF by far has a better shot and is a better finisher.
Comparing him to Patrick is pretty off. The kid will probably get around 20 goals as a 19 yr old on one of the better teams in the league this season with no major PP time and 3rd line minutes.
I’d wager this post looks pretty silly by the time LaF is 21-22.
I’d wager he tops out as a PPG solid physical 2-way responsible winger.

Point per game, two-way winger? If he peaks one season like that, I will be amazed. 80-point players in NHL are rare.

He'll be a top 9 forward most of his career with a few years in the top 6. I take Quebec junior stats with a grain of salt. I know Crosby. But lots of flameouts. I like Kakko puck sense more.

Lafreniere's problem is he'll carry around #1 overall his whole career. If he tops out as a 50 to 60 point guy, that's actually pretty darn good in the world's best league. But I had people telling me this guy was a lock as a superstar. Couldn't be parted with for Eichel. Ever. In a redraft 2020, today, pretty clear he doesn't go #1.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

NYR scouts were in on Boucher before the Sens picked him. Boucher had a rough go at his college stint, just signed and will play in the OHL when it resumes, currently practising with Belleville Sens. Missed hockey because of COVID last year, so the Sens took a big swing at his potential given his tools. Post draft some projected his potential to be a Tom Wilson type impact player - very physical, perhaps less pugilistic and more speedy. A playoff type player who provides physicality and offence.
Haha, funny.

Reactions: bl02

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Because we know how to develop players.
It's a good thing if 19 years old are not running the show

Anyways, do not listen to all the other ghouls, keep both Kakko and Laf, i really think they will turn into something great each.
I would love to get Kakko to the Kings but don't see any reasonable way for both teams to make it happen

Yes I agree Rangers are pretty bad at developing players, some guys they rush in NHL, some they overcook in AHL or Europe.

How do you explain Byfield's less than stellar production in AHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad