Should Johnny Gaudreau be inducted into the HHOF?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
USA Hockey Hall of Fame no doubt!

Leads USA players in all time points in the World Championships, WJC gold medal, National Championship, Clark Cup winner, and Hobey Baker Winner (should be 2x winner but was snubbed in 2013). The man is a USA hockey legend.

• Wow
Reactions: 1989

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Although the HHOF has been severely water down over the years, it’s still a no for me. A very tragic event but he was still not a HHOF level player

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
He should be in based on career trajectory and averages imo. To me about it about impact and not how long you stick/stuck around.

Reactions: BlueSeal

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I'm having a hard time getting over the fact that he died and I'm not a Columbus or Johnny fan, it's just f-ked up how this went. As a person, it just kills me inside.

As a player whose life was stolen from him, how do you say he's not good enough? He's been damn near a point per game player and a beast in the playoffs. One of the best players whose ever worn the Jackets sweater and he's only been there what, two years?

The NHL, Flames and/or Blue Jackets will find a way to honor him once everyone's past the pain this has brought. I can't even sit down and type this without taking a moment to tell folks how much I appreciate them. Life hits faster than everything. Please take a moment and do the same.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It's tricky. His best year was a HHOF worthy year, but otherwise it's been a mixed bag 'hall of good' career. And he doesn't have the career totals or silverware. And while they make an exception for guys on that if their peak was insane, I'm not sure Johnny was quite at that level.

I think it's important they honor him in some way, but HHOF might not be it.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
He certainly peaked higher than some of those inducted over the last couple of decades, and with longevity, he may have put together a clearly superior career as well...

LaFontaine was inducted with 902 adj. points in 865 games

Neely was inducted with 629 adj. points in 726 games

Gaudreau had 794 adj. points in 763 games

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Yes, absolutely. I think most people saying no have no idea about the history of the HHOF because there is precedent for this.

Ace Bailey (193pts in 313gp) tragically died from an injury and was inducted. Same goes for Bill Barilko (62pts in 252gp) whose career was cut short due to a tragic plane crash. Hell, Hobey Baker who has a trophy named after him for college hockey (which Gaudreau won) is even in the HHOF despite never playing in the NHL. Willy O’Ree only played 45 games but is in because of breaking the color barrier and his legacy. Women’s hockey players who wouldn’t be able to beat high school boys are in the HHOF.

Honestly it would be shocking and disrespectful to me if Gaudreau doesn’t get inducted to the HHOF. He is a star player, put up one of the best seasons since Mario Lemieux. A 4th round long shot overcoming great obstacles with size and was one of the most influential players in shaping today’s game.
Ace Bailey suffered a career ending injury in 1933. He died at the age of 88 in 1992. He ,was elected to the HHOF in 1975.

Reactions: Chainshot

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Not sure which route I'd go personally. If forced to answer, yes.

I hope they name a trophy after him though. One of the most liked players accross the world IMO, similar to Bergeron.

He also used to troll transfer markets often, really loved him.

paragon

May 5, 2010
No, if you need to honor him name a trophy after him. For example rename Lady Byng or Masterton.

Reactions: BlueSeal

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
There are three all time players to die during their NHL careers: Howie Morenz, Georges Vezina, and Tim Horton. All three were slam dunk HHOFers based on their playing careers.

The HHOF didn't exist when Vezina and Morenz died so they were inducted years later. Horton did not have the waiting period waived.

The NHL did charity remembrance all star games for the widows, which is probably the most appropriate thing in this circumstance.

Based on his on ice career, no Gaudreau wasn't on track for the HHOF. Whether the voters induct him because of the tragedy is something else.
Charlie Gardiner says hi.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Awful idea. When the time comes the organizations he’s played for have more than enough money to honor him correctly. The NHL can also find more appropriate ways to honor him as well.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Before we wax poetics about the Hall of fame being reserved for special players it is important to remember; Kevin Lowe is in the HHOF.
7-time All Star, 6-time Cup Champ. Head Coach, GM, President post-hockey in the NHL and Internationally for his entire life, you could argue he could have made it in as a “Builder” as well.

He was a defensive defenceman and not a superstar by any means during his playing career. But if Lowe can’t make the HHOF as a defensive defenceman then pretty much no defensive defenceman can ever make the HHOF. Which wouldn’t be right.

Reactions: albator71

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Johnny Gaudreau was one heck of a hockey player don't get me wrong but no I don't think he accomplish enough as a player to be in the HHOF. You have players like Alexander Mogilny and Vincent Lecavalier who accomplished more in their career then Gaudreau are not in the HHOF.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The answer is no, with all due respect to his legacy, but he had one exceptional season and a number of very good to good seasons. I don't think he ever made it past the second round of the playoffs and has no individual awards outside the lady byng.

That being said, it would not surprise me that the lack of imagination at NHL HQ will lead them to letting him in.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's significantly more tragic, but I think the comparable cases would be guys who had their careers dramatically shortened by injuries. And the guys you look at in that case are Bure, Forsberg, Kariya, and Lindros, all of who had more individual accolades to point to who are the recent of examples of this. His main accolades are one 1st team all-star and 1st team all-rookie, and I guess you could give him bonus points for finishing 4th in Hart voting twice. But, Bure had 2 rockets (should be 3, but award didn't exist for him one year), a 1st Team All Star, 2 2nd Team all stars and a Calder. Kariya has 3 1st team All-Stars, and 2 2nd Team, Lindros had a Hart, a Pearson, a 1st team all star and a 2nd team All-Star. Forsberg has 1 Hart, an Art Ross, 2 Cups, 3 first team All Stars, and a Calder. All had All-Rookie team.

His number will likely be taken out of circulation, and potentially in the rafters for both Columbus and Calgary. His number will absolutely get retired at BC and he'll get into the College Hockey Hall of Fame.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Jersey retirement in Calgary and Columbus should suffice imo

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I think he deserves to make the HHOF, what happened was terrible and that's not my only reason for him to make it at this point. I really do think he would be a safe bet to hit 1000 points or more. pretty sure 1000 points is almost damn near a lock for HHOF

they add 4 people every year, many will get in who some think shouldn't make it but they need names that make a good story too it seems sometimes

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
1000 career points isn't a HHOF career.
I think he deserves to make the HHOF, what happened was terrible and that's not my only reason for him to make it at this point. I really do think he would be a safe bet to hit 1000 points or more. pretty sure 1000 points is almost damn near a lock for HHOF

they add 4 people every year, many will get in who some think shouldn't make it but they need names that make a good story too it seems sometimes
1000 points isn't a lock at all.

Just in the last 20 years the following are 1000 point players that aren't in.

Elias
Witney
Backstrom
Staal

Spezza and Kessel have over 990 and aren't getting in either.

You really need to hit 1300 to be a slam dunk without major awards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad