OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Anyway, in other exciting news, James Pierre is back on the practice squad so expect him to get back onto the roster to play special teams with Skowronek injured.

edit: Also DeForest Buckner to IR for the Colts, that game just got a bit easier.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I am excited for next season when mccormick is in the starting lineup

I am also. I was listening to a Steelers talk show, and they brought up potentially trying to flip Daniels because they have Anderson and McCormick who can start right now.

I kind of agree with them if they could get more than a 3rd. Anything less it's worth keeping him. I'd imagine we will get a 3rd comp pick for him anyway. We aren't signing a free agent to replace him and he's playing good ball.

Anyway, in other exciting news, James Pierre is back on the practice squad so expect him to get back onto the roster to play special teams with Skowronek injured.

edit: Also DeForest Buckner to IR for the Colts, that game just got a bit easier.
That helps. I think Richardson is going to struggle mightily against our defense.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I would not be opposed to flipping Daniels for picks they already decided he wasn’t getting an extension. He has helped Frazier with communication and spotting the blitz but Issac can do that. They will probably draft a o lineman anyway that can be a depth guy next year.
Heck I would call the rams and see what they would give up for moore or kc neither have a viable LT right now

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
So basically our receivers don't get open - who could have seen this coming.

You might be able to rewrite this to say "Van Jefferson doesn't get open". Because believe it or not, he leads the team in snaps this year by a far margin.

Does this chart also take into account TEs getting separation? Bc we run 3 TEs a ton and TE's in general struggle to get separation as they tend to use their body more vs space.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I would not be opposed to flipping Daniels for picks they already decided he wasn’t getting an extension. He has helped Frazier with communication and spotting the blitz but Issac can do that. They will probably draft a o lineman anyway that can be a depth guy next year.
Heck I would call the rams and see what they would give up for moore or kc neither have a viable LT right now

Yeah, no reason not to. And if something happens to Jones, slid Fautanu over. It's not like we don't have depth. They just have to get around the thought a rookie can't immediately come in and play ball.

Them putting Jones at LT would do wonders for his psyche, one would think. I give Dan Moore credit - he goes in the books with Max Starks and Deshea Townsend as the most average football players to continuously get starts over the course of 4+ years.

That right side is going to be our 2024 draft next season, and it's going to be epic. I think McCormick and Anderson are better than Daniels now.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
You might be able to rewrite this to say "Van Jefferson doesn't get open". Because believe it or not, he leads the team in snaps this year by a far margin.

Does this chart also take into account TEs getting separation? Bc we run 3 TEs a ton and TE's in general struggle to get separation as they tend to use their body more vs space.
I don't know, but I assume it measures anyone who runs a route other than probably check downs. Even Pickens is not really good at getting separation - most of his highlight plays are combat catches where coverage is right there. They dearly need a WR who can get open as that would undoubtedly open other things up. The playcalling that takes away the middle half of the field doesn't help either, obviously, as it limits what has to be covered.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I don't know, but I assume it measures anyone who runs a route other than probably check downs. Even Pickens is not really good at getting separation - most of his highlight plays are combat catches where coverage is right there. They dearly need a WR who can get open as that would undoubtedly open other things up. The playcalling that takes away the middle half of the field doesn't help either, obviously, as it limits what has to be covered.
George is top 10 in separation according to pff. Muth was open often against Denver. Fields can’t operate any type of quick game or timing routes
Teams are going to bring more 6 man pressures because Fields can’t process

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
George is top 10 in separation according to pff. Muth was open often against Denver. Fields can’t operate any type of quick game or timing routes
Teams are going to bring more 6 man pressures because Fields can’t process
While I realize you can't post anything that doesn't take a shot at Fields, this wasn't about that - it's about the receivers getting open or not getting open. Maybe talk to your boy Coach T about his refusal to use 1/2 the field on offense and the impact that has on the ability of receivers to get open. Fields has been fine this year.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Yeah, no reason not to. And if something happens to Jones, slid Fautanu over. It's not like we don't have depth. They just have to get around the thought a rookie can't immediately come in and play ball.

Them putting Jones at LT would do wonders for his psyche, one would think. I give Dan Moore credit - he goes in the books with Max Starks and Deshea Townsend as the most average football players to continuously get starts over the course of 4+ years.

That right side is going to be our 2024 draft next season, and it's going to be epic. I think McCormick and Anderson are better than Daniels now.

I think Daniels may go down as one of the more underrated players to play for the Steelers in recent memory. He’s been nothing but rock solid since being signed.

Anderson’s been fine for a 7th round pick and seems to be a useful backup but he’s been the pretty clear weak link on the line imo.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
People need to chill with the "dumping pending free agents for asset" discussions. The Steelers aren't the Pirates. Whether the fans believe they are or aren't, they think they are a playoff team and they are playing to win in 2024. They are not going to trade a starting OL for a mid-round pick next year just because he's going to be a free agent.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
While I realize you can't post anything that doesn't take a shot at Fields, this wasn't about that - it's about the receivers getting open or not getting open. Maybe talk to your boy Coach T about his refusal to use 1/2 the field on offense and the impact that has on the ability of receivers to get open. Fields has been fine this year.
They are giving Fields half field reads

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
RIght. Which is exactly what I said and is a part of the reason the receivers aren't getting open. You're in violent agreement with me.

And giving Fields half field reads might not be the worst thing until this Oline gets their pass pro shit figured out.

You can't say he's had clean pockets these past 2 games.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Making things easier on Fields is definitely the right move. I seriously wonder whether anyone actually watched him in Chicago. He is not good at reading defenses and is turnover prone. They need to make things easier for him if he is going to have success. Hopefully they are building him up.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad