Should Johnny Gaudreau be inducted into the HHOF?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024
Simply research is needed to answer that question, no doubt hockey analysts & fans will delve into that. Here is why I think at the very least Johnny hockey should be an honourary member. Over 10 seasons with 763 games played ( not included his season of just one game & one point ) he had 743 points with 48 game winning goals. A career best season of 115 points & 40 goals. So a player that averages 4.8 career winning goals per season, he had 4 last year. Based on 5 more seasons & 76.3 games per season another 380 games. For arguments sake will give Johnny hockey another 50 points per season ( he had 60 last season & 74 the year prior ) will give him an avg. of 3 winning goals per season so 15 GWG added to his 48 equal 63 that would put Johnny hockey at 91st all time just ahead of Goulet, MacLean & Lecavalier based on games played. Now adding another projected 250 points over 5 seasons to 743 equals 993 career points that puts Gaudreau at 100th all time points just ahead of Kessel @ 992 currently 100th all time, just behind Spezza @ 995 Carrer point good for 99th all time NHL points leaders. Per season using maximum roster size of 23 x 32 teams that is 736 players per season, not including call ups in the event of injury. I have heard right over 7K players have played at least 1 game, with an similar size number for goalies. Johnny Gaudreau with 743 career points sits 227 th all time in the history of the NHL. Also 33 points in 42 playoff games, with a personal best of 14 points in 12 playoff games as a Calgary Flame.

Worth a mention & definitive yes in some capacity Johnny Gaudreau should be inducted into the HHOF no doubt !

Also no doubt the NHL sold a lot of Gaudreau jerseys, especially after a star performance at the all Star game. Who didn't love Johnny hockey, one of mine & my son's favourite's certainly a fan favorite.

Noteworthy

Gaudreau had five points (one goal, four assists) for the United States in a 10-1 win against Kazakhstan on May 19, 2024, to give him 43 at the IIHF World Championship and break Patrick Kane's record for most points and assists by a United States player in tournament history.

NOTES & TRANSACTIONS

• USHL All-Rookie Team (2011)
  • USHL Second All-Star Team (2011)
  • USHL Rookie of the Year (2011)
  • Hockey East All-Rookie Team (2012)
  • Hockey East First All-Star Team (2013, 2014)
  • Hockey East Player of the Year (2013, 2014)
  • NCAA East First All-American Team (2013, 2014)
  • Hobey Baker Memorial Award (Top U.S. Collegiate Player) (2014)
  • NHL All-Rookie Team (2015)
  • Played in NHL All-Star Game (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023)
  • NHL First All-Star Team (2022)
  • Signed as a free agent by
Forgot to mention 7 all star games for Gaudreau including 2015 NHL all rookie team. 64 points in his rookie season a Calder finalist. Gaudreau graduated to the NHL immediately did not play in the minors. Also a testament to his character he won a Lady Byng. Yes please induct Johnny hockey as an honourary member of HHOF it is the right thing to do, an authentic & honourable way to celebrate Gaudreau's life & contribution to the greatest game on 🌎. Let it be so.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Yes, absolutely. I think most people saying no have no idea about the history of the HHOF because there is precedent for this.

Ace Bailey (193pts in 313gp) tragically died from an injury and was inducted. Same goes for Bill Barilko (62pts in 252gp) whose career was cut short due to a tragic plane crash. Hell, Hobey Baker who has a trophy named after him for college hockey (which Gaudreau won) is even in the HHOF despite never playing in the NHL. Willy O’Ree only played 45 games but is in because of breaking the color barrier and his legacy. Women’s hockey players who wouldn’t be able to beat high school boys are in the HHOF.

Honestly it would be shocking and disrespectful to me if Gaudreau doesn’t get inducted to the HHOF. He is a star player, put up one of the best seasons since Mario Lemieux. A 4th round long shot overcoming great obstacles with size and was one of the most influential players in shaping today’s game.

Spargon

May 31, 2019
If they wanted to do it in a honorary way with a * sure. Lots of people get honorary doctorates and technically have a PhD but didn't really do the work.

I much prefer the trophy idea, maybe something about player with biggest impact in their community with charity etc?

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
No, the HOF is for the truly special players...he rightly belongs in the hall of very good.

I would love to see an award made in his honor though. The Johnny hockey trophy should be handed out every year, not sure for what.
Agreed. Something like a pound for pound award. Player who best outplays his body limitations. Something like that.

Reactions: weslox

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yes, absolutely. I think most people saying no have no idea about the history of the HHOF because there is precedent for this.

Ace Bailey (193pts in 313gp) tragically died from an injury and was inducted. Same goes for Bill Barilko (62pts in 252gp) whose career was cut short due to a tragic plane crash. Hell, Hobey Baker who has a trophy named after him for college hockey (which Gaudreau won) is even in the HHOF despite never playing in the NHL. Willy O’Ree only played 45 games but is in because of breaking the color barrier and his legacy. Women’s hockey players who wouldn’t be able to beat high school boys are in the HHOF.

Honestly it would be shocking and disrespectful to me if Gaudreau doesn’t get inducted to the HHOF. He is a star player, put up one of the best seasons since Mario Lemieux. A 4th round long shot overcoming great obstacles with size and was one of the most influential players in shaping today’s game.
Ace Bailey and Hobey Baker did enough in their playing careers to be inducted. Baker briefly had a reputation as best player in the world in the early 1910s. His legend is obviously tied to his death, but he still joins the hall if he has a full life. Same with Frank McGee. 100% HHOF talent, but his war death contributes to his legend.

Barilko is a fair point though.

O'Ree is inducted in the builder category, which is quite a bit different. It's mostly for his post playing career work.

Reactions: AzHawk and cptjeff

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I don't want to sound heartless, but no, it's for players of a certain standard, not a memorial.

Amazing player and one of the most exciting in the world to watch but he's not a HOF no matter the circumstance.

I'm sure he will be appropriately honoured by Boston College, Calgary Flames, and Columbus Blue Jackets.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
In threads about whether or not a player is HOF worthy, sometimes people ask, "would (insert player's name) be a HOFer if he retired tomorrow?" and then others respond with, "it would/might depend on why he stopped playing. If he died or suffered a devastating career-ending injury, that would be different than if he retired."

We do it without thinking something like that could ever really happen. But this is basically the real life manifestation of that scenario.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Ub the Bub

Feb 9, 2010
No, had he played out his career normally along the current trajectory he wouldn't have been in consideration. And as such, he should not be in consideration now either.

Reactions: DitchMarner

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He should absolutely be honored in some way, maybe not "inducted" but something. This is one of the most tragic moments in NHL history.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
American hockey hall of fame

Alberta athlete/hockey hall of fame if there is such a thing

Unfortunately the next 4-5 years would have determined if he would make hhof if he could go ppg and lead CBJ to playoff success

Sadly his life got cut way too short and we will never get to see what Gaudreau could have accomplished in the laat half of his career

leaffann

Jun 23, 2024
There are three all time players to die during their NHL careers: Howie Morenz, Georges Vezina, and Tim Horton. All three were slam dunk HHOFers based on their playing careers.

The HHOF didn't exist when Vezina and Morenz died so they were inducted years later. Horton did not have the waiting period waived.

The NHL did charity remembrance all star games for the widows, which is probably the most appropriate thing in this circumstance.

Based on his on ice career, no Gaudreau wasn't on track for the HHOF. Whether the voters induct him because of the tragedy is something else.
Actually by the numbers & in fairness projected career numbers playing another 5-8 seasons or another 350-550 games. Gaudreau 81st all time PPG @.97 & he is 227th all time career points. GWG he had 48 only needed 12 more in his career to hit 60 breaking the top 100 all-time. Same is true of all time points breaking 1000 pts for Gaudreau meant he needed 257 points over 5-6 seasons. Having played an avg. of 76.3 games per season over 10 seasons, very plausible projections Gaudreau breaks 1000 career points plateau & 65 career GWG

Yes with an all star performance in the all Star game he endeared himself to a legion of younger fans & hockey players, Johnny hockey sold a lot of jerseys. Who didn't love Johnny hockey seriously. As you pointed out & particularly relevant a 4th rd selection, who didn't play in the minors & a Calder finalist in his first season. Gaudreau sits 81st career all time PPG % accumulated 743 pts in 763 games. Also a very respectful 48 career GWG. Very conservative estimate of projected Gaudreau #'s : 1000 career points & 60 GWG breaking into the top 100 for each category in career totals. Appears that as much as Johnny hockey was loved by the hockey 🌎, appears beyond the fun at the all Star game that by the numbers he was hugely underated. Particularly true of Canadian fans excluding Calgary of course. RIP Johnny & Matthew Gaudreau very heart wrenching for the hockey world, & even more so to his family & friends. Heartfelt condolences from a hockey fan, a Johnny Hockey hockey fan to his family & friends.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Yes he should, 7x all star, 11th best point season post lockout, only 6 players have had more points in a season post lockout.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Honestly, ask me again in a few months when this doesn't hurt so badly.

It's just still too fresh right now. Ugh. So freaking sad.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
This thread is tasteless and I’m going to ignore it. Haven’t done that in a while.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I think if you want to do something right by the Gaudreau's you use this situation as a PSA before the puck drops in hockey games to remind the future drunks in the crowd the cost of them not taking a cab or uber home. If it stops anyone from thinking they'll be fine to get behind the wheel it's potentially saving lives.

Reactions: weslox

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
League wide patches of his number, no player wear that number this year, NHL charity of some amount of money to MADD (Mothers against Drunk Driving), things along these lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad