• No

Votes: 43 62.3%

• Total voters

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
It’s worse. We lost Perron.

As for LHD, it isn’t getting addressed. We re-signed Leddy. We have Faulk, Krug, Parayko ($6.5M each), and Leddy ($4M). Like it or not, that’s our top 4. It’s done.
The one thing I have an amazing amount of faith with is Springfield. The call-ups kept our ship afloat in the playoffs and that’s a huge ask of some kids to do.

I have faith that our answers are in the organization already.

For those who think we’re dead in the water, we did win a Cup with Pat Maroon. Always remember that. This team still has that heart and resolve but it needs to also adjust and Chief needs to get on that.

Cup Ring in hand and the days are still bright and that window is still open.

These are the best days to be a Blues fan.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
It’s worse. We lost Perron.

As for LHD, it isn’t getting addressed. We re-signed Leddy. We have Faulk, Krug, Parayko ($6.5M each), and Leddy ($4M). Like it or not, that’s our top 4. It’s done.

It’s an unforced error when we were legitimately a top 3 contender for the Cup. It’s the Blues and Colorado in the West. No one else was close. Now we took a step back. Our PP took a big hit. Our biggest playoff performer left. And we could have made the numbers work. It’s not like he signed at a ridiculous price that we couldn’t compete with.
Did we take a step back? You don’t think we might be better defensively this year since Berube knows we can score, but we were pretty lax last year? You don’t think Thomas and Kyrou can improve? That Neighbours or any other youth can contribute. Will his loss hurt a bit? Yes. Does it mean the team is screwed? No. Does it mean Armstrong should be fired and people should be crying? No.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Here's a possible grenade to drop in here. This could definitely be Army putting on his poker face, or we have our roster with some minor additional signings like Mikkola incoming.
“As of now, we think our roster is pretty well set,” Armstrong said. “They say you never say never. But right now barring anything that happens over the summer, I don’t think we’ll be (changing the roster). ... Right now, I like the players that we have.”

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Here's a possible grenade to drop in here. This could definitely be Army putting on his poker face, or we have our roster with some minor additional signings like Mikkola incoming.

He says basically we’re done unless we do something. Tank will be here until he isn’t, just like ROR and Barbie. He likes our roster until he finds something better. I don’t really read much into it.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
He says basically we’re done unless we do something. Tank will be here until he isn’t, just like ROR and Barbie. He likes our roster until he finds something better. I don’t really read much into it.
Yes it's a very generic interview, plus I tend to think he's certainly got something more planned to upgrade and push past Colorado for the West again.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
No you’re doing this everywhere. Maybe take a break. You do realize this is a business and sports is the most ruthless out there. Teams constantly do this and the Blues have multiple times

Everywhere? Or do you mean just a few threads about Free Agency and DA? Is that everything we have here?

Of course sports is a business, but I value loyalty, teamwork, and camaraderie in my sports. I'm a sports consumer and these elements are important to me. If the product is all ruthless business and the GM alienates a good portion of the fanbase with cold moves that discard players who have given more than they have gotten back, then I start to tune out. It's not fun for me at that point. We are getting close to that breaking point with DA and the Blues IMO. I don't buy into the team or organization at that point. I don't spend my free time watching games at that point. I don't buy expensive NHL cable packages at that point. The product is deficient.

Furthermore, just because teams are now constantly doing this, it doesn't make it right IMO. I rail against how Vegas is run "everywhere". Are we like Vegas now? Maybe not in totality, but we are trending in that direction. No thanks. To hell with the NHL at that point.

Perron didn't ask for much at all. It was all doable. Nothing like what Petro and Backes were asking for. In fact, it was a bargain. Good for Detroit. They got a skilled player with a heart at a good price.

Lastly, if I really annoy you because you see my posts "everywhere" discussing the loss of Perron, I suggest the ignore feature. It works for me.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
fire him

i could do a better job. certainly wouldnt have let a gem like chuckie sideburns go to another team.

Oh yeah, the “gem” who had 24 career starts prior to going on a 5 game hot streak. THAT is what you fire top GMs for.

4 game hot streak. Played 7 minutes and only took 3SA because Husso got hurt
Not to mention that Armstrong offered him a contract that Lindgren turned down! He would be in the organization for this next season if he had wanted to sign for the season.

And if you gave him a 3 year deal like he signed with Washington, what is the plan for Hofer who will be knocking on the NHL door soon?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Not to mention that Armstrong offered him a contract that Lindgren turned down! He would be in the organization for this next season if he had wanted to sign for the season.

And if you gave him a 3 year deal like he signed with Washington, what is the plan for Hofer who will be knocking on the NHL door soon?
I am not a fan of the Griess signing, but I vastly prefer him to Lindgren. So this is not in support of Lindgren at all. But 3 years @ $1.1 is just not an impediment to Hofer. If Hofer is ready, you send Lindgren to the AHL. He either is claimed off waivers or you have a career AHL guy to platoon with Ellis/Zherenko. You loan the other out. If I felt Lindgren was truly the best backup option, that is what I'd do. Hofer might need more than 1 year, or even 2. No matter how much he needs, $1.1M is not an issue for a team that just signed several depth guys to 1-way deals/high AHL salary 2-ways.

Reactions: mk80

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Is that what Steve told himself when he signed Chiarot at 4 years x 4.75 mil?

Chairot is a good partner for Seider. That's what they wanted. Someone to support their youngsters. They don't care if they overpay that guy by a million this season, as their youngsters are still on relatively affordable contracts. Chairot is a decent stay-at-home option who pairs well with a puck mover. Seider is a good puck mover. They will make a good shut-down pair with offensive upside (mainly from Seider). For a middle of the road team its not a bad top pair. It will allow Seider to grow into his role. The money won't matter for the near future as they are $10M under the cap with only Zadina left to sign. I think Detroit killed this off-season.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Everywhere? Or do you mean just a few threads about Free Agency and DA? Is that everything we have here?

Of course sports is a business, but I value loyalty, teamwork, and camaraderie in my sports. I'm a sports consumer and these elements are important to me. If the product is all ruthless business and the GM alienates a good portion of the fanbase with cold moves that discard players who have given more than they have gotten back, then I start to tune out. It's not fun for me at that point. We are getting close to that breaking point with DA and the Blues IMO. I don't buy into the team or organization at that point. I don't spend my free time watching games at that point. I don't buy expensive NHL cable packages at that point. The product is deficient.

Furthermore, just because teams are now constantly doing this, it doesn't make it right IMO. I rail against how Vegas is run "everywhere". Are we like Vegas now? Maybe not in totality, but we are trending in that direction. No thanks. To hell with the NHL at that point.

Perron didn't ask for much at all. It was all doable. Nothing like what Petro and Backes were asking for. In fact, it was a bargain. Good for Detroit. They got a skilled player with a heart at a good price.

Lastly, if I really annoy you because you see my posts "everywhere" discussing the loss of Perron, I suggest the ignore feature. It works for me.

Wow man, you're really taking this to the extreme. I find it interesting that someone talking about loyalty will stop supporting his favorite team because of one free agent they didn't sign. It sure didn't take long for the goodwill of a Stanley Cup win to wear off for some people, sheesh.

Last edited:

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
Wow man, you're really taking this to the extreme. I find it interesting that someone talking about loyalty will stop supporting his favorite team because of one free agent they didn't sign. It sure didn't take long for the goodwill of a Stanley Cup win to wear off for some people, sheesh.
I get it majority of fans are extremely emotional and can swing either way with judgements. I just wish people would be more even keel with sports. That seems to be asking too much. Anyways I’m done with that.. I think DA is hoping the younger guys take steps forward so we’ll see.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Loyalty is a two way street. It's that simple.

Reactions: BlueKnight

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
All this talk of Armstrong needs to go; I am no longer loyal to the team is funny.

This corporation needs to make money and is confined to a "budget." If the team does not give the ownership any upside in terms of dollars, you'll see this team get sold, then who knows what would happen.

They understand they need us, the fans, to make money. The GM/ownership won't care when less than 1% of the fan base revolts over the summer but eventually starts paying again regardless of the outcome of said corporation's actions.

They'll care when there are no longer butts in seats and no longer getting a share of the TV contracts.

They don't care about you or me. So watch, don't watch, but don't pretend for one second that DA or the ownership gives two craps about what we think.

Empathetic/commiseration mode: it sucks we lost players we liked. I did not want to see us lose Perron and Husso. They were both likable. In regards to Perron, who wants to let go of a PPG player that has landed with the team 3 times already? Husso seemed to be part of the necessary one-two punch in the net to shield Binnington from falling on his face from playing too many games (maybe Binner will rise to the occasion).

Reactions: jura

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
All this talk of Armstrong needs to go; I am no longer loyal to the team is funny.

This corporation needs to make money and is confined to a "budget." If the team does not give the ownership any upside in terms of dollars, you'll see this team get sold, then who knows what would happen.

They understand they need us, the fans, to make money. The GM/ownership won't care when less than 1% of the fan base revolts over the summer but eventually starts paying again regardless of the outcome of said corporation's actions.

They'll care when there are no longer butts in seats and no longer getting a share of the TV contracts.

They don't care about you or me. So watch, don't watch, but don't pretend for one second that DA or the ownership gives two craps about what we think.

Empathetic/commiseration mode: it sucks we lost players we liked. I did not want to see us lose Perron and Husso. They were both likable. In regards to Perron, who wants to let go of a PPG player that has landed with the team 3 times already? Husso seemed to be part of the necessary one-two punch in the net to shield Binnington from falling on his face from playing too many games (maybe Binner will rise to the occasion).
It's not funny. It's sad.

Maybe it's on me. I bought into something that never was anything but an illusion. All these teams are business mercenaries and the slick PR gives them an air of respectability for sports fans.

No worries. Expectations recalibrated.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Loyalty is a two way street. It's that simple.

Sure it is, but loyalty isn't a GM's top priority. People can complain all they want (I have as well), but if anyone questions Army's commitment to win then they don't know what they are talking about. All I'm saying is it sure didn't take long for Army to burn through all the goodwill he has earned over the years. He's made a lot of solid moves, but all it takes is letting Perron go to burn his bridges with some fans? As much as I'd like to keep the band together, every Cup winning team has to make hard roster decisions.

The Perron situation feels very similar to Palat and TB. Everyone just assumed the player would re-sign, but both teams looked at their finances and decided they just couldn't make it work. It sucks for fans, but these are two of the most successful teams in recent history that don't make moves without good reason.

And if not for the flat cap, Perron might have been re-signed and we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Lots of teams have been forced to make hard decisions because of that. It's easy to say "why didn't he just trade ____________ to free up cap space?" but I don't feel like teams are lining up to take on extra salary these days or do teams cap space favors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad