Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe to be named the next head coach of the New Jersey Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
why are we talking about defensemen performance on this thread
Maybe because Keefe, our new coach, is more of a defensive coach than offense. Last season we had too many young defensive players. It usually takes 5 to 7 years to bring along a good defensive player so he is an elite defensive guy. So we are talking about one of last seasons weak link, defense. We had other weak links last season and have made improvements to-date and hopefully with more to come.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Improved accountability:

When trumpeting Berube's standard for accountability this week, Leafs GM Brad Treliving went out of his way to explain that didn't mean Keefe did not hold his players to task. He snuffed out David Kämpf's ironman streak with a healthy scratch this past season due to a bad O-zone decision and dropped captain John Tavares to the third line for a spell.”

Special attention for offensive stars:

Jack Hughes and Jesper Bratt should get every opportunity to thrive. Keefe is a master at maximizing O-zone starts and bump-up shifts for his elite talent after TV timeouts and penalty kills. He wants his team to score four or more goals.”

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
This is responding to nothing, but Bahl didn't suck - he was tasked with very difficult minutes and struggled in those minutes. The beneficiary of said hard minutes was Luke Hughes. That said, if Keefe and the Devils can fix their breakouts, Luke will look exceptional - his biggest issue was zone exits, which seems like it is easily fixable, whereas if Luke were struggling with 1 on 1 defense, that's much harder to improve at this level.
Bahl could be good if he stops pinching (at the wrong times). He offers way too many counterattacks to opponents.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Finally got to watch that All or Nothing behind the scenes blob on YT.

Liked Keefe's speeches in the between period interview, like minutes 11-12-13. Good stuff. His intensity seems to be the right amount. All the BS claims he is soft on his players goes out the window. I can imagine most lockerrooms are like that with most coaches, in leagues like the NHL, its still good to see that level of straight accountability he throws out there, and specifically motivating button's he's attempting to push.

it's good to see all that, particularly calling his core guys out for MORE.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I agree he looks better at the worlds. Because he’s actually trying to play good hockey and make plays. Not sure how people can use the injury excuse and say he should have been shut down when he jumps right to worlds after the season almost as if he’s completely fine.

This is what I find weird

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
giphy.gif

Gotta say THAT threw me for a loop, Steve. lol

Steve should definitely stick to scouting prospects ;)

I can't wait to hear the "FIRE SHELDON" chants during our opening night game after we are trailing 1 to 0 after 10 minutes of play....

In all honesty the only other coach I was really interested aside from Keefe was Woodcroft. I wouldn't of been mad if we brought in Berube and I'm glad we avoided McLellan. The more you look into it the more it made sense to go after Keefe. Someone had to take the fall in Toronto when it's clear that team is not built properly to be a Cup contender.

Better not happen after the shit Ruff put us through.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

Improved accountability:

When trumpeting Berube's standard for accountability this week, Leafs GM Brad Treliving went out of his way to explain that didn't mean Keefe did not hold his players to task. He snuffed out David Kämpf's ironman streak with a healthy scratch this past season due to a bad O-zone decision and dropped captain John Tavares to the third line for a spell.”

Special attention for offensive stars:

Jack Hughes and Jesper Bratt should get every opportunity to thrive. Keefe is a master at maximizing O-zone starts and bump-up shifts for his elite talent after TV timeouts and penalty kills. He wants his team to score four or more goals.”
I never understood why teams aren’t rolling their studs out there more like after tv timeout even if they were out there at whistle they are going back out. Offensive zone off icing? Out you go or stay out there if already out. I get it’s a marathon not a sprint but pick and choose when to deploy them

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
For all the face-off debate enthusiasts, here’s a breakdown of the Leafs’ play on face-off losses.

For anyone looking to learn the Xs and Os of hockey, Jack Han with Hockey Tactics and Hockey Plays and Strategies by Mike Johnston are by far your best resources. You learn how little you actually know about the game and how complex many of these systems are.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
For anyone looking to learn the Xs and Os of hockey, Jack Han with Hockey Tactics and Hockey Plays and Strategies by Mike Johnston are by far your best resources. You learn how little you actually know about the game and how complex many of these systems are.

Aside from tactics and player communication style, the most striking difference between Mike Babcock and Sheldon Keefe was that the latter was far more interested in collaborating with other departments (player development, R&D/analytics, sports science, player wellness, etc.).

...collaborating with... R&D/analytics...

analytics

analytics!!!!!!

Fire him now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad