Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe to be named the next head coach of the New Jersey Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Wild swings game to game? Last 3 games were 2-1, with the final goal of the series being in overtime in a game where the shots were 32-31 in favor of Boston.

There was a lot of sightseeing going on by Toronto on that OT winner, but I'd actually roll with the "luck" factor (barf emoji) on that last goal rather then adjustments winning that series.

Much less proven actually.
I'd say they're similar circumstances at least...Keefe took over a playoff team in Toronto and kept the ship going. Brunette took over a team that was 7-0 and all set to win and kept the ship going in Florida, then he went to Nashville a team with a history of being a bubble-ish playoff team and kept them on the right side of the bubble this year at least. Keefe has had longer as a head coach but both of them had pretty plum first jobs. I think the Brunette 'doing more with less' tag this year got way overplayed but it's the only time really either coach had the opportunity to overachieve in the regular season a little bit. Neither one has done much in the playoffs yet, unless you count Keefe in the AHL.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
so for all the posters at season end a couple weeks ago saying the team isn't competing now the window isn't open yet. for the second time in two years the gm has said thats not the case i doubt this coach comes here if he didnt agree with the gm.

go get a legit starting goalie this summer whoever that is

trade the 10 pick for immediate roster help wherever that might be needed the most

dang our coach has twitter? already up 2pts in the standings and the season hasn't even started yet!

I do hope this at least ends the board's weird obsession with Brunette. Don't get me wrong, he's a solid coach too but people talked as if we definitely let the next Scotty Bowman go and weren't ever going to find someone similar in the next decade, but he really isn't any more proven than a guy like Keefe is at this point.

we are agreeing a lot today

definitely means cup is coming home

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I think Keefe being a pushover is baseless. I have seen him call out players in various videos. We also seen him make adjustments. I think the bigger problem was the core 4. (Not goaltending/defense)

We get mad about Palat, when Toronto pays a guy 11m to score 60pts and 2pts in the playoffs. Marner only got 3pts in 7. These are not defensive stalwarts ether.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Wild swings game to game? Last 3 games were 2-1, with the final goal of the series being in overtime in a game where the shots were 32-31 in favor of Boston.

There was a lot of sightseeing going on by Toronto on that OT winner, but I'd actually roll with the "luck" factor (barf emoji) on that last goal rather then adjustments winning that series.

Much less proven actually.
Yea there were wild swings and then got figured out and the games become much tighter..... not sure the argument here.

And that OT goal against Toronto 100% was not luck, that was an amazing play and execution.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If Toronto does win that Game 7 against Boston is Keefe still the head coach there? (assuming they also lose in 5 or 6 to Florida a la last year)

Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yea there were wild swings and then got figured out and the games become much tighter..... not sure the argument here.

And that OT goal against Toronto 100% was not luck, that was an amazing play and execution.

If you do not think luck is involved in that play, you have a different definition of luck than me, and certainly than how I understand most people understand it. The puck has to bounce out just right there, it is absolutely never doing that anywhere close to 100% of the time. It's a 1 in 10 shot at best. It's what was intended on the play, but it's a very low percentage play, and it worked to perfection. I bet Pastrnak doesn't score a goal like that all next year.

Reactions: My3Sons

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think Keefe being a pushover is baseless. I have seen him call out players in various videos. We also seen him make adjustments. I think the bigger problem was the core 4. (Not goaltending/defense)

We get mad about Palat, when Toronto pays a guy 11m to score 60pts and 2pts in the playoffs. Marner only got 3pts in 7. These are not defensive stalwarts ether.

Marner is one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
If you do not think luck is involved in that play, you have a different definition of luck than me, and certainly than how I understand most people understand it. The puck has to bounce out just right there, it is absolutely never doing that anywhere close to 100% of the time. It's a 1 in 10 shot at best. It's what was intended on the play, it's a very low percentage play, and it worked to perfection. I bet Pastrnak doesn't score a goal like that all next year.
Nothing is 100% of the time..... This isn't EA NHL. But they did exactly what they planned to do. By your line of thinking any time a shooter with 10% shooting percentage scores a goal it's pure luck because its at best a 1 in 10 shot at best going in? And I'd argue it had a much higher chance of working than that, they had a good 5-10 ft of boards they could have hit which would put the puck generally in the same area.

They planned a play, did the play perfectly, its all luck. That doesn't add up.

Yea I guess our definition of luck is 100% not the same.

Reactions: My3Sons and JimEIV

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'm in episode 1 of the All or Nothing series, and I thoroughly enjoyed Keefe going to Dubas because he thought Matthews saying to the media they played too safe after a loss to Edmonton was a bullshit narrative and then addressing it with Matthews at the practice individually in a calm manner before addressing the team fully afterwards about what was actually wrong.

How long will it be before he has a similar conversation with Jack? :laugh:

CalamityX23

May 2, 2023
I'm excited about this hire. I don't know the last time I was excited about a HC hire by the Devils.

I think we're all in for a good surprise or meeting that playoff expectations set by the team and fanbase.

Lets get this ish!

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I'm excited about this hire. I don't know the last time I was excited about a HC hire by the Devils.
I was excited for Deboer, seemed like I was the only one wanting him on the old njdevs forum lmao so its been a while for me. Couldn’t care less about that Hynes and Lindy hires since we were rebuilding

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
your a fan so i'll take you word for it but the not winning a division is a bit misleading they had great years against some legit nhl powerhouses you bring that team to the metro and i think they clean up. hopefully he learns from whatever mistakes might have happened. last time devils went with a former leaf coach they won the cup lets hope for it again.

They did have some great years but unfortunately never won the Atlantic. I think if they win the Atlantic a few times and get to play a few wild card teams they probably would have won more rounds and he may have kept his job. There was a lot of misfortune involved for sure. The year they win the North division they lose a still in his prime Tavares 10 minutes into the series and Price goes supernova all the way to the SCF. Other than that, he lost to CBJ as a midseason replacement. The rest have all been tough series.

I think he's a good coach. He comes in with a gameplan and structure. In Toronto he was hesitant to change his gameplan and believed that it would prevail if they stuck with it (much like Dubas). I think he's likely a better coach than NJ previously had. He's a better coach today than he was when he was first hired in Toronto but his lack of success and growing pains ultimately cost him his Toronto job. This is going to be the first time he's been detached from Dubas completely. Dubas brought him into the Soo, and then to the Leafs. I'm curious how he works with another GM. Dubas and Keefe both had the same analytics driven mindset and resistance to deviate from the initial plan.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
IMG_6090.jpeg

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I was excited for Deboer, seemed like I was the only one wanting him on the old njdevs forum lmao so its been a while for me. Couldn’t care less about that Hynes and Lindy hires since we were rebuilding

I feel like there was a lot of excitement around DeBoer's hire here because it seemed atypical at the time for Lou to go out of his comfort zone for a younger hire. I think a lot of people felt he got shafted with trash rosters in Florida (which was true) and that he'd succeed here.

He's proven to have a short shelf life everywhere he's gone, but I think he got boned here too unfortunately by the Parise and Kovalchuk departures. Had we gotten to keep that 2012 team in place a bit longer, I always wonder how far we could have gone.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

That's fine, bit of a fortuitous bounce but yes Boston executed perfectly and Toronto stood around and watched. I'm not a luck guy so yeah, but certainly not an adjustment thing. Not seeing the adjustment argument for the series in general, certainly not game to game as initially stated.

Goalie usage by Keefe can be questioned though.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
That's fine, bit of a fortuitous bounce but yes Boston executed perfectly and Toronto stood around and watched. I'm not a luck guy so yeah, but certainly not an adjustment thing. Not seeing the adjustment argument for the series in general, certainly not game to game as initially stated.

We are mixing two conversations. The game by game adjustments was attributed to the Florida/Boston season.

And going back to the other conversation, I would push back against the bounce being fortuitous though.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I don't think it was a "fortuitous bounce" I think it was 100% a set play off the boards executed perfectly. That wasn't just a dump in, that wasn't just a Dman getting the puck deep...that was a pure situational awareness knowing that Pastrnak was going to beat his man to the puck if he got it to the right place...

I don't see the luck in that at all.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I can't believe that there are still people who deny how heavily luck is involved in sports, especially hockey. Nobody is saying that if you simply admit that, it takes away from any of the other qualities required to win.....but the point remains.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I don't think it was a "fortuitous bounce" I think it was 100% a set play off the boards executed perfectly. That wasn't just a dump in, that wasn't just a Dman getting the puck deep...that was a pure situational awareness knowing that Pastrnak was going to beat his man to the puck if he got it to the right place...

I don't see the luck in that at all.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Are you talking about this year’s playoffs?

If this was our team we would be focusing more on

1) how the two forwards that provided slightly over 1/3 of the regular season goals were injured or out

2) how the dogshit defensive core got even stinkier with Brodie out

3) goalie nightmares/injuries.

You aren’t winning shit with this in the playoffs:
IMG_7276.jpeg

You want easier match-ups for the top lines? Cool, watch Kampf get lit up even more after he gets tougher match-ups.

Matthews & Marner were their best defensive forwards. We had the same problem with Nico, particularly after losing McRapey.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad