Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe to be named the next head coach of the New Jersey Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
You really think the "long time" was due to something we were doing right? Are you ignoring the fact the everyone ahead of us seemed to be all fighting to get out of the last couple playoff spots? What's the opposite of crabs in a bucket?

A few more OT losses and we're in. We're better than the Islanders.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Keefe got that teams only series win in two decades, I will take that as a goddamn success lmao that team chokes under the media pressure each year. Says more about the group of players they assemble IMO
The fact that it goes back millions of years says maybe, it's not so much the players as it is the pressure itself.

Reactions: My3Sons

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Good coach who bent the knee to his star players a bit too often. If that changes in jersey then the fan base will love him.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Good coach who bent the knee to his star players a bit too often. If that changes in jersey then the fan base will love him.
yet somehow they were still wagons in the regular season and their top guys produced up to their contracts. thats a fine first step here have to walk before you can run

One thing that gets ignored with the hot takes on Keefe's playoff record is that the smooth brained NHL playoff system ensured he was always playing a powerhouse in round one.
this guy gets it

give me a cupcake first round matchup in the metro any day

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I feel "adjustments" is just a buzz word fans use when talking about coaches.

Heck if anything, given how often we gave up the first goal but were then able to fight back this season it could be said Ruff was good at making adjustments. I don't actually believe that to be true.

I kind of feel "system" is another one fans overuse, but in the case of Ruff, because he ran one that no one else did, and was prone to breakdowns, I think it was accurate. For most other coaches it's all pretty similar.

End of the day I think it's about putting a culture in place and having your guys ready to play. Then it's on the players.

And also, unless the team is winning Stanley Cups every few seasons, every fanbase is going to grow tired of their coaches. Then the buzzwords start flowing. It’s natural.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Yeah. Being handed 3 generational talents on ELCs will do that. Yet he kept failing.

Good luck then. Lol

LOL...what the hell are you talking about?

First off - 3 generational talents??? That term only applies to one of your players.

Assuming you're talking about Matthews, Marner and Nylander - here are their cap hits from 2019-2020, Keefe's first season coaching the Maple Leafs:
- Matthews $11.634M
- Marner $10.893M
- Nylander $10.278M

The cap hit for those 3 players was higher than next year's cap hit for Jack Hughes, Hischier, Meier & Bratt combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad