Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe to be named the next head coach of the New Jersey Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Caustically optimistic. Seems like he will have effective systems installed. I hope he has the balls to get on Jack when needed. Country club attitude needs to be washed out of here. Have to get guys to buy in and do the little things right.
He just needs to not have a messed up shoulder. No amount of riding him was gonna get him to engage physically when he just couldn’t do it. Healthy Jack is a top 10 player in the league.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
the stuff with steve briere about frederik andersen always makes me laugh. Believe Briere and Andersen were both let go at the end of this season. Andersen was just a completes sieve and headcase that season.

"Keefe's Speech" at 11:55 in the intermission between the 3rd period and OT to win the series vs Montreal in 5. "Matty, Mitch, Hyms, your line is getting f***ing dominated. DOMINATED."

And ppl say Keefe isn't tough on his guys lol

edit: meant to quote the original post from @ScottyK ... too lazy to fix it

what this about all or nothing? funny thing, this is one of the very few albums i own in triplicate,

cassette, CD and vinyl.

Last edited:

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I was in 8th grade. There was this awesome new thing called the Razr and it was the Pinnacle of technological achievement. I logged on to AIM to tell all my friends
Def the same age lol

Except I started with the old Nokia brick with the skydiver game

Reactions: Rhodes 81

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
What tells you this is a sound hire is the lack of negative reaction here. Nary a one. I can’t remember the last time I saw a coach hired without any one knocking it.

i dont claim to know enough about this stuff so whatever....even when ruff was hired i was whatever. im the guy that has no love lost for the sabres one bit.... i should've been furious to take their cast off but wasn't.

hoping keefe rights this ship and this season was just a blip on the radar that's passed

now some things like the grabner trade and getting andreas johnsson i made sure i was vocal.

also eventually got annoyed with shero dipping in to his pens well about 15 f***ing times.

Last edited:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Just saw this news. I'm optimistic that Keefe can get more out of this roster than Ruff or Green did.

With a better defensive structure and a real goalie, we should be able to get back to playoff contention.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Leafs fan here for 60 years.
Big reason he failed was he catered too much to the spoiled brats like Marner etc. They could do no wrong.
He also is too loyal sometimes to lines, Samsonov etc... slow to make changes. Drove me crazy sometimes.

Maybe getting out of the crazy media & pressure of Toronto things will change.

I’m not going to disagree because I don’t know but he did have the leafs as regular season wagons so something must’ve been working.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Leafs fan here for 60 years.
Big reason he failed was he catered too much to the spoiled brats like Marner etc. They could do no wrong.
He also is too loyal sometimes to lines, Samsonov etc... slow to make changes. Drove me crazy sometimes.

Maybe getting out of the crazy media & pressure of Toronto things will change.

60 years?! damn.... i'm on 40 years (since i was 9)

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
‘Slow to makes changes’ part is absolutely gonna kill us
lol what?

What changes did you want him to make? The team finished 100+pts the last 3 years the covid year they led the north what you want him to shuffle JT around the lineup? Limit matthews pp time?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Man, 9:26 is hilarious lmfao. Keefe would've went crazy with our goaltending lol.
I only saw that on complete accident.

I clicked on the link and it brought the video up. I saw masks and figured it was one of the pandemic years or playoffs, so I wanted to see how old the video is. It was posted recently, but it's from 2021.

I saw one of the chapters was something that looked like ''Keefe tells Danny Briere to f*** off'' so I skipped to that. Turns out it was Steve Briere, who was their goalie coach then. He's with Seattle now.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

I clicked on the link and it brought the video up. I saw masks and figured it was one of the pandemic years or playoffs, so I wanted to see how old the video is. It was posted recently, but it's from 2021.

I saw one of the chapters was something that looked like ''Keefe tells Danny Briere to f*** off'' so I skipped to that. Turns out it was Steve Briere, who was their goalie coach then. He's with Seattle now.

i finally just watched it right now... and holy shit. he swears way more than i do. :laugh:

welcome to jersey.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago

I actually watched it on Amazon prime a few months back only cause I like the behind the scenes stuff. I want to say it stretches multiple seasons with the leafs

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Just saw this news. I'm optimistic that Keefe can get more out of this roster than Ruff or Green did.

With a better defensive structure and a real goalie, we should be able to get back to playoff contention.
As an outsider, I think you could get back to the playoffs just by having guys healthy. Coaching is a cherry on top.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
lol what?

What changes did you want him to make? The team finished 100+pts the last 3 years the covid year they led the north what you want him to shuffle JT around the lineup? Limit matthews pp time?

When Leafs fans talk about Keefe's resistance to make changes, they're not talking about the regular season. Keefe had a 69 goal scorer/100+ point player and 2 more 98+ point forwards - he's going to win regular season games regardless of whether or not he made adjustments. The Leafs never won their division though - aside from the Covid North division so there's definitely room for improvement there also.

Slow to make changes is in reference to when things aren't working, he refuses to change things and thinks if he keeps repeating the same thing the results will come. It happened this playoffs with Samsonov. He didn't switch to Woll until the Leafs faced elimination leaving the Leafs 0 margin for error despite Samsonov playing horrible 2/4 games he played prior. When the Leafs scored a goal to take the lead or tie a game, Keefe always went to the third/4th line to go get some hits and it resulted in a bunch of goals against the Leafs - including in this year's playoffs.

Keefe has basically been a coach with a game plan that will not adjust his gameplan if the results don't occur. He believes in the plan he puts in place and will ride it out with his belief of that plan. Since the Leafs haven't had success with his plan, the fanbase blames him for his lack of adjustments. Ryan O'Rielly said after the playoffs last season that the Leafs 'could have made some changes but didn't' and that pissed the fanbase off and they took it as Keefe's stubbornness to listen with rumors RoR suggested changing something and Keefe refusing. He was a very live by the sword, die by the sword coach. He believes in his process and won't usually make adjustments.

That said, I think New Jersey got a good coach. I thought Keefe this year was the best he's ever been as the Leafs coach. This year he got extremely unlucky with injuries in the playoffs with Matthews, Nylander and Woll all missing games. This year he basically paid for his failures in previous seasons when he should have won but didn't. He was a lot more calm and composed this year and seemed a lot less hyper on the bench. The officials don't seem to be a fan of him complaining after every call and he did a lot less of that this year, especially in the playoffs. It does seem he is growing and learning from his mistakes. More importantly, he seems to be a quality person that people like - which was the opposite of the Leafs previous coach. I wish him and NJ the best (except when they play the Leafs). He's a very structured and details oriented coach. He seems very analytics minded and that's why Dubas took him everywhere he went. He'll make a plan prior to the game and stick with it through and through. He believes in himself and his gameplan and that of itself I think is important. However, when it doesn't work he gets blamed for 'lack of adjustments' which is what the Leafs fanbase is on him about.

Last edited:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I really hope he holds guys accountable and can improve the culture. Think that’s become one of our biggest issues. Every shift has to be earned (within reason).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad