Player Discussion Sheldon Keefe - All encompassing galaxy brain discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I believe Tre keeping Keefe is to buy a year for himself. Keefe may be another Cooper or Brind AMour down the road, but I highly doubt that he will be this year. , Keefe failed to change the game plan in the playoff after many years of playoff failures.

Slow rolling change is not a bad idea when you come into a situation. Throwing out the baby with the bathwater when you come in all huffing and puffing in a mandate to change is usually going to result in some mistakes.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I feel pretty bad about what transpired over these last 6-7 seasons. It really sucks that 1 playoff series win is all to show for this. Even Matthews 69 goal milestone feels a little more like Rick Vaive than Sundin/Gilmour.

A retool is what has to happen. I feel confident that things can turn around, but there will be more pain ahead. Not impossible to try and pivot (VAN did it), but things will get worse before then...

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It's not that he's dumb, it's that he's egotistical enough to rebuild his own version of an old boys club with his own guys. I'm cheering for it.
Keefe is the new Pens coach. Honestly, I think Keefe will be a better coach on a veteran team than a young team in terms of maturity level not actually years in the league.

Reactions: arso40

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I'd say the most damning argument against Keefe is how poorly our power play has performed in the playoffs, relative to the regular season. Special teams, in the playoffs especially, are very much about strategy, studying what your opponent does and coming up with the right counters. Our playoff PP just seems so stale and predictable, opponents seem to know exactly what we're going to do and cut it off with ease.

Keefe took over in 2019/20. Here's PP% by team, for teams that have played 20+ playoff games over those years (2019/20 to present): NHL Stats We are dead last (among 18 teams)! Even if you reduce the filter to 15 games played, we're 3rd last of 22 teams: NHL Stats That's totally nuts, especially since over the same time period we're 3rd best in the league in regular season PP%: NHL Stats We literally go from an elite PP to an absolutely terrible PP once the playoffs start, that definitely looks like a coach who can't make the right adjustments.

It's certainly not all on Keefe, the star players are also not performing, I think the pressure gets to them and they start overthinking things, vs. playing more loose/creative/instinctual. But special teams are very strategic, one of the areas where coaching should have the most influence, and whatever Keefe (and his staff) have been doing, it hasn't been working.

Last edited:
Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I feel pretty bad about what transpired over these last 6-7 seasons. It really sucks that 1 playoff series is all show for this. Even Matthews 69 goal milestone feels a little more like Rick Vaive than Sundin/Gilmour.

A retool is what has to happen. I feel confident that things can turn around, but there will be more pain ahead. Not impossible to try and pivot (VAN did it), but things will get worse before then...

It's insane we've spent so many years with Sheldon Keefe at the helm. In an era when coaches are hired to be fired and there's no cap on what you can spend at that position, we got an AHL level home grown with no charisma, leadership or clue to button mash random line combos and tout a plodding possession game with messed up risk/reward sliders.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
A bit early, but has a nice ring to it.

1714437489730.png

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
tampa out
mission cooper: full on recruitment to be the next head coach of these sissys

Cooper is a dual citizen of the United States and Canada.[43] Cooper's mother, Christine was a native of San Francisco, California, while his father, Robert was a native of Prince George.[6] Growing up, Cooper's family were fans of the Toronto Maple Leafs.[44] Cooper and his wife Jessie have twin daughters and a son.

Last edited:
Reactions: fahad203

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
It's insane we've spent so many years with Sheldon Keefe at the helm. In an era when coaches are hired to be fired and there's no cap on what you can spend at that position, we got an AHL level home grown with no charisma, leadership or clue to button mash random line combos and tout a plodding possession game with messed up risk/reward sliders.
The entire Dubas debacle will be remembered for decades. Shanny just won't eat his crow. LOL

He tried to rehire him ffs. Shanny got punked by the dude that f***ed him over. Oof

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I feel pretty bad about what transpired over these last 6-7 seasons. It really sucks that 1 playoff series win is all to show for this. Even Matthews 69 goal milestone feels a little more like Rick Vaive than Sundin/Gilmour.

More pain ahead? If its the rebuilding kind of pain I can do that standing on my head. Its this fruitless losing in the playoffs that causes me more pain.

horner

May 22, 2007
Well, they do invested on Raptors and TFC to win Championships.
I would not say it is not a priority for them to Win in Hockey.
However, I do agree with you and some other posters that the Leafs are generating more than enough incomes to allow them not to push for winning
Then they are a dumbass organization wouldn't the goal be to make more money by winning a cup.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Then they are a dumbass organization wouldn't the goal be to make more money by winning a cup.
Of course the goal is to make money by trying to win a cup every year, silly to think otherwise.
People confuse incompetence with indifference.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
You blame the players but honestly I just can't get over Keefe yesterday, this guy is a not a motivator, he has no clue to build a proper culture, he's bereft of any answers. Listening to him again yesterday, I'm convinced he's a boat anchor on this franchise, he can't respond correctly to adversity, he just shrugs and gives off massive LOSER vibes. That presser was incredible, defeated and he's the guy!

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You blame the players but honestly I just can't get over Keefe yesterday, this guy is a not a motivator, he has no clue to build a proper culture, he's bereft of any answers. Listening to him again yesterday, I'm convinced he's a boat anchor on this franchise, he can't respond correctly to adversity, he just shrugs and gives off massive LOSER vibes. That presser was incredible, defeated and he's the guy!
I hope they throw Leafs nation a bone and make his firing quick.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Can you honestly say they are a smart organization?
They just paid Nylander $92 million dollars and seeing this core lay eggs in the playoffs for the last 6 years. Yeah it took the Caps and Wings a decade to win a cup but they did not go from winning a playoff round in 9 attempts to winning a cup and their cores were not comprised of selfish p***yes.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
"Hey, Coop, you want the job or not?"

The man who lost to Keefe and then lost to the Panthers in the same amount of games as Keefe?

Also, assuming everyone thinks that Tampa is built for the playoffs since they have some guys who step up in the playoffs.

It's weird to want this guy as the new coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad