Rumor: Sharks working on Evander Kane trade, will eat 50%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
A buyout in the summer would be 3.6/2.6/4.6/1.6x3

50% retention would be $3.5x3

So that's what San Jose has to decide between. Keep him in the minors and buy him out in the summer which will cost them some money for six years, or trade him now and eat $3.5M on your cap for three years. With maybe getting some sort of asset back since right now Kane does have value.

Buying him out could mean a rival in their division adds him over the summer and Kane is potentially burning them over six games a season. Trading him means they somewhat control his destination.

I think the Sharks would prefer Kane to be traded out east and just eat the cap hit than deal with buying him out over the summer, Kane cleaning up his act, and signing cheap with the Anaheim Ducks.

I always felt like Evander Kane would one day play for the Philadelphia Flyers. I dunno how that fits, just my feeling. Could see him going there.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
6 years for the buy out or 3 years for the contract + retention.

Is San Jose going to be doing anything special in the next 3 years? Probably not.

6 years? Yea, I think they can re-tool / rebuild in that time.

The final three years of his buyout would only cost 1.6 mil per year.

Could that matter, sure its possible, is that likely to matter, most likely not.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I would love to have him in NJ, he is exactly what the team needs but NJ don’t have the veteran leadership to keep him in line.

Carolina makes the most sense. The DeAngelo success this season shows they can handle a problem player. And they also have Kane’s old Atlanta GM in Don Waddell that drafted him.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Is it possible to get him at 1.75??
Say send something decent to Sj and something decent to a team with a ton of cap space over the next cpl season to retain an other 50%
Double retention is possible but term is the problem. Kane has 4 years left in the contract. So retention can't be done for just the next couple of seasons.

A rebuilding team that has cap space right now is unlikely to want to commit it for quite that long. The return for a $1.75m retainment won't be that good to make it worth it, after all. Two years would be a somewhat different story.

From CapFriendly:

"The team who retains the salary then pays the retained percentage of the salary, and also retains the percentage of the cap hit until the contract expires."

"Players’ contracts are limited to 2 retained salary transactions per contract."

(Also: "All teams involved in a retained salary transaction will have cap implications if the contract is bought out or terminated.")

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The final three years of his buyout would only cost 1.6 mil per year.

Could that matter, sure its possible, is that likely to matter, most likely not.

I can tell you that 1.2M on Kessel's retention is a royal pain in the ass at this point, the shorter you can keep your dead cap space commitments, the better.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I think if you’re a younger team without notable or weak leadership (Leafs, Hurricanes, Panthers, NYR, Nucks, etc) it’s not worth the risk to ruin what you’ve been building by having him infect the team.

However if you’re a team on its last legs, or close to it, of contending And have strong leaders in the room (Boston, Wash, Pitts, NYI even) then it’s worth the risk. These players can keep him in check and you get a 1st line W for peanuts.

I would love to hear how the canes have weak leadership.

Reactions: Unsustainable

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Wtf does this has to do that with all he did ? The guy is a cancer, from what everything came out he should be suspended for the rest of his career. It’s not about talent it’s about being a s***** person and teammate
Guilty on rumors?

Look how well DeAnglo is doing on his new team. Wasn’t he a shitty teammate also?

Kane has problems but he also has talent. If the cost is low, it’s worth a gamble

Last edited:
Reactions: Patty Ice

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Guilty on rumors?

Look how well DeAnglo is doing on his new team. Wasn’t he a shitty teammate also?

Kane has problems but he also has talent. If the cost is low, it’s worth a gamble

He's having success, statistically. Do his teammates think he's a prick? Possibly yes still.

Reactions: Edenjung and DFF

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
He'd be perfect for Zegras as a hockey player but I'd be too scared to have him on a team with so many young guys.

Reactions: Rec T

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I would love to hear how the canes have weak leadership.
WITHOUT NOTABLE or weak. Maybe read the whole sentence next time.

There has been nothing to suggest they have some type of very strong leadership at this point and you don’t mess with the type of chemistry they’ve currently got when so many players are still so young.

Every team Kane has joined turned into a disaster. Carolina doesn’t need to take that risk at this point in their Cup window

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I mean the guy can still provide offence, or did last season but all the other crap over shadows it and I think most team will not want to add that.

Reactions: Muttonchops

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Not likely if you know anything about how they treat black people in China.

star-wars-china-poster-controversy.jpg

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Can you do double retention?
So a deal where SJ ships him to Van @50% then Van ships him to the Leafs @1.75
so the Leafs would send assets to SJ and to Van
yes and no...

you can only retain up to 3.5M (50%) caphit on a contract... but once the 3.5M is allowed, yes you can

so at the 41 game mark, you can retain twice (technically a bit before but whatever)

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
WITHOUT NOTABLE or weak. Maybe read the whole sentence next time.

There has been nothing to suggest they have some type of very strong leadership at this point and you don’t mess with the type of chemistry they’ve currently got when so many players are still so young.

Every team Kane has joined turned into a disaster. Carolina doesn’t need to take that risk at this point in their Cup window

I read the whole sentence. Saying they don’t have notable leadership doesn’t make sense, either. They’re known for their organizational culture which was why they felt comfortable bringing in TDA. They have Staal and Brind’amour in the dressing room and other guys like Slavin, Martinook etc.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Kane on waivers as one team pursues him — The Fourth Period

"Kane, who has been in and out of the NHL’s player assistance program dating back to at least last season, has a three-team trade list as part of his contract but does not own a full no-movement clause, which is why he was placed on waivers. Kane can update his list each season and at one point, the Tampa Bay Lightning, Buffalo Sabres and Winnipeg Jets were strategically on his trade list, a source confirmed to TFP."

That's a hilarious way of saying "I don't want to be traded". Buffalo, Winnipeg, Tampa.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I read the whole sentence. Saying they don’t have notable leadership doesn’t make sense, either. They’re known for their organizational culture which was why they felt comfortable bringing in TDA. They have Staal and Brind’amour in the dressing room and other guys like Slavin, Martinook etc.
None of that is like the proven leadership from other teams listed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad