Rumor: Sharks working on Evander Kane trade, will eat 50%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I don't think that's necessarily true either. Kane at 3.5 mil plus taking back a 2-4 mil contract back isn't something they need to add to and shouldn't if teams are holding firm on that belief.

If this was any other player, sure, but this is Kane. I’m surprised they just didn’t buy him out.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
Idk how any team would be willing to take him on after everything that’s gone on. He is a massive liability and could be a net negative for an organization even if he plays well

Reactions: BlueSeal

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I don't think that's necessarily true either. Kane at 3.5 mil plus taking back a 2-4 mil contract back isn't something they need to add to and shouldn't if teams are holding firm on that belief.

This brings up the question to what’s in the Sharks interests. They lose if they buy him out, will absolutely lose in a trade or a waiver situation (he will clear) so what do you do? Let him play.

That’s the only situation the Sharks can win at and that won’t happen.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I wonder which 3 teams are on his list that he can be traded to? I'm guessing Vancouver is one since his agent allegedly reached out.
At this point if Kane wants to play and potentially get a contract after this one, he needs to go to whoever would take him, sit down, shut up, keep his head down, play as hard as he can and behave for 5 years.

He is broke, assets seized and owes every nickel he makes on the rest of his front loaded deal to his debtors. There are 47 creditors trying to garnish him.

Unless he scores a new contract after this one, he is out of the league flat broke

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Thats pretty much the same as adding. San Jose would be paying cap space to buy him out...essentially the same thing.

Is he vaxxed? If he's not, then he won't end up in Canada, and his value will be even lower.

It's not the same as adding in the context that that poster is talking about. According to the team, he's vaxxed.

If this was any other player, sure, but this is Kane. I’m surprised they just didn’t buy him out.

The stuff Kane was dealing with during the last buyout window, it wasn't bad enough to buyout his four years.

This brings up the question to what’s in the Sharks interests. They lose if they buy him out, will absolutely lose in a trade or a waiver situation (he will clear) so what do you do? Let him play.

That’s the only situation the Sharks can win at and that won’t happen.

Playing him changes nothing and if the players in the room don't want him, they're better off burying him and buying him out next time around. If the players wanted him back, it's a no-brainer but they don't and so here we are. Now it's making sure you don't pay more to get rid of him than what makes sense for their situation. They shouldn't give up valuable assets to get rid of him. If that's not feasible, eat the bury and buy out if you can't just keep burying him.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
It's not the same as adding in the context that that poster is talking about. According to the team, he's vaxxed.

The stuff Kane was dealing with during the last buyout window, it wasn't bad enough to buyout his four years.

Playing him changes nothing and if the players in the room don't want him, they're better off burying him and buying him out next time around. If the players wanted him back, it's a no-brainer but they don't and so here we are. Now it's making sure you don't pay more to get rid of him than what makes sense for their situation. They shouldn't give up valuable assets to get rid of him. If that's not feasible, eat the bury and buy out if you can't just keep burying him.

All absolutely fair and reasonable. I get you and am with it. But say no team wants Kane save one and they want a pick to come with him, what do you say?

Sharks want a cancer gone, what’s the incentive for another team to take him? What would you consider an acceptable return?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
That 50% for the next 3 full years is going to be a tough pill to swallow; and whatever team does get him is probably going to get the steal of a lifetime considering how many teams likely wouldn't even pick up the phone. This is a guy who had 22 in 56 last year, and is still only 30 years old.

There seem to be Vancouver rumours, I guess because he's from there, but with how much of a tire-fire that team is right now, I cannot see it going well.

Call me crazy, but to me, the ideal destination would be a place like the Islanders -- a highly disciplined team where there's no BS.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The only trades I see working are sending Skinner for Kane. Possibly Andrew Ladd/PK Subban but doubt it because they have one year left. But one I see being most likely is Matt Murray for Evander Kane.

San Jose:
Matt Murray
Nikita Zaitsev

Ottawa:
Evander Kane
Adin Hill

In a real sense I think if he does get assigned to the AHL without a trade, he's not going to the Baraccuda, likely an AHL-owned team such as Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Hershey, Milwaukee, Springfield, or Syracuse. But I would think it'd be funnier to assign him to the Rapid City Rush of the ECHL because it has all the ingredients for stuff he doesn't like such as cold winter, small city and small arena. But amongst those AHL teams I see it being the Chicago Wolves considering the Wolves are very committed to the minors.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
The only trades I see working are sending Skinner for Kane. Possibly Andrew Ladd/PK Subban but doubt it because they have one year left. But one I see being most likely is Matt Murray for Evander Kane.

San Jose:
Matt Murray
Nikita Zaitsev

Ottawa:
Evander Kane
Adin Hill

In a real sense I think if he does get assigned to the AHL without a trade, he's not going to the Baraccuda, likely an AHL-owned team such as Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Hershey, Milwaukee, Springfield, or Syracuse. But I would think it'd be funnier to assign him to the Rapid City Rush of the ECHL because it has all the ingredients for stuff he doesn't like such as cold winter, small city and small arena. But amongst those AHL teams I see it being the Chicago Wolves considering the Wolves are very committed to the minors.

I'd rather just pay Kane to stay home than make that trade. Two expensive has-beens that only save you money three years from now and we give up a goaltender who could turn into something useful to boot?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Only way I would even contemplate gambling on a headcase like that is on a 1 yr 1m type of deal where it is communicated to Kane that he will be cut the moment he screws up again.

3 x 3.5m?

I hope Sakic stays away from that.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Only way sharks trade him without retention is if they take a player back of similar cap/Term. Kane has talent no doubt, but the negatives far outweigh the positives for any team serious about winning to bring in.
Frankly, there’s really just no point for any legit team to want to import a cancer with a 7 mill dollar cap hit for the next 3 seasons.
You don’t want him mentoring/teaching younger guys, and you don’t want him stirring the pot of a solid lockeroom with good vets.
The sharks ( players and management) just want him gone. He’s not an asset, more of a liability that comes with a lot of risk.
That’s pretty much undisputed at this point, from Winnipeg to Buffalo, and now San Jose.
It’s a shame too, because when he’s going, he’s a pretty effective player.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That 50% for the next 3 full years is going to be a tough pill to swallow; and whatever team does get him is probably going to get the steal of a lifetime considering how many teams likely wouldn't even pick up the phone. This is a guy who had 22 in 56 last year, and is still only 30 years old.

There seem to be Vancouver rumours, I guess because he's from there, but with how much of a tire-fire that team is right now, I cannot see it going well.

Call me crazy, but to me, the ideal destination would be a place like the Islanders -- a highly disciplined team where there's no BS.

You called Vancouver a bad fit because they are a tire fire and they are.

Then You suggest the NYI who have lost 8 straight and are completely beaten down and demoralized.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks are offering up Micheal Ferland. Even w/ 50% retention & taking back the Ferland contract, I think the Sharks save about 2+ million (over a buyout). Even more if they flip Ferland in the summer to a team trying to circumvent the cap.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
I'd rather just pay Kane to stay home than make that trade. Two expensive has-beens that only save you money three years from now and we give up a goaltender who could turn into something useful to boot?

You could swap Hill for Reimer and it would still be a yes from OTT

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
ooh I wonder if china's KHL team would pay him the money he needs? Hell they could naturalize him and have him suit up for the chinese olympic team!

Reactions: robertocarlos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad