Prospect Info: Sharks to host 2022 Rookie Faceoff September 16-19 at Tech CU Arena and Sharks Ice

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I did find it encouraging how both Bordeleau and to a bit lesser degree Eklund didn't shy away from physical contact like last season. That might just be the competition but hopefully during the season they still can play physically enough.
There were several occasions where Eklund went to the crease and stayed there. Reminded me of Pavelski, a smaller guy who is comfortable in the crease.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
Does anyone know why these guys are not at rookie camp this year?
  • Round 1 (No. 27 overall): Filip Bystedt, C, Linkoping HC (Sweden-JR) ...
  • Round 2 (No. 34): Cameron Lund, C, Green Bay (USHL) ...
  • Round 2 (No. 45): Mattias Havelid, D, Linkoping HC (Sweden-JR)

Reactions: Sandisfan

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I wonder if this is a change in organizational philosophy. Have the Sharks ever had a 1st round pick not attend camp? Lots have come to camp then gone back to play elsewhere but I can’t remember a high pick not coming to camp.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Lund can’t come as a college bound player. He’ll be at Northeastern this year.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I did find it encouraging how both Bordeleau and to a bit lesser degree Eklund didn't shy away from physical contact like last season. That might just be the competition but hopefully during the season they still can play physically enough.
I forget the user who was posting the prospect videos, but one of the big takeaways from the Eklund one was that he was playing pretty physical relative to his size in Sweden. It will be interesting to see how he goes in preseason games, because if he players physical too, he could be a really lethal player.

I wonder if this is a change in organizational philosophy. Have the Sharks ever had a 1st round pick not attend camp? Lots have come to camp then gone back to play elsewhere but I can’t remember a high pick not coming to camp.
As @Lebanezer said, Lund couldn't due to his commitment to college.

As for Bystedt and Havelid, their SHL seasons started on the weekend, so it would seem silly to have them play prospects games instead of SHL games that matter. They aren't coming to the US this season, so let them get as much game time in the SHL as they can.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Are you sure that’s right? I think that got relaxed a bit. I mean we saw Cam Lund at the prospect scrimmage but maybe camp is different?
Yeah, there are very complicated rules.

The NCAA permits players to attend NHL Development Camps in July but there are strict rules for doing so without losing their amateur status as defined by the NCAA.

Even if the player fully pays his own way to Development Camp, the NCAA has additional rules that govern attendance. The most important rule is that players may not miss any classes at school in order to attend either a Development Camp in July or an NHL Rookie Camp in September. Thus, if a player is registered for summer classes at school, he cannot attend an NHL Development Camp.

More info here. MELTZER'S 411: About the College Kids

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
If anyone was curious who that beautiful woman behind the Sharks bench last night was I happen to know. She is the SJ Barracuda's new assistant athletic trainer, she is extremely talented and smart. And also my wife. I'm super proud of her!

View attachment 585505View attachment 585504
I tried giving her some tater tots on FRI night. Granted, I was behind the glass (near the player entrance/exit) but she never even looked my way lol

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

Lot of the big names sitting this one out tonight.

I did go Saturday. Of the tryouts, I like Bowman as potential Cuda depth, and thought Mayer did some good things.

Saturday was great for the most part, but some better discipline from guys like Guryev and McCue would help tonight.

• Wow

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
Anyone have a stream link handy? Don't feel like working anymore today and can't seem to find it online.

EDIT: Found it:

Last edited:

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Guryev needs to learn to let up now and then. He has taken some really dumb penalties during this event.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Sharks have been competing quiet well in this tournament so far. Tonight without Eklund, Bordeleau, Robins and Merkley

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
That’s awesome. If I was a Shark player I wouldn’t care what team jersey the kids were wearing, it’s beyond rivalries to create a memory for the youngsters. Good luck man!
So an update on my experience over the weekend.

Games were great! Got right on the glass for Kings V Avs first game and watched most of the second game over on the Orange Rink. Pretty cool seeing those guys play on a "regular" ice rink like the beer leaguers play on!

On Saturday, I get to my locker room first with my son for his game (locker room 3 on the old sharks practice rink). A guy standing outside asks if this is our room and we say that it is, and he asks us to wait a few minutes. We have some time before dryland warmups start so we say no problem and start talking about our upcoming game. As we are there I am leaning against a far wall and look over and see that its Logan Couture in there giving a 1 on 1 interview with someone. As he finishes up I ask if we could get a quick picture. He says of course and then proceeds to talk to us for about 5 minutes in the hallway before he has to go. We talk about how the tournament is going, how we are doing and where we came from. He couldn't have been nicer.

The only bad part is that now as a Penguins fan and Ducks/OC coach I used to loathe him...now I can't!! He was super cool....DARN YOU LOGAN COUTURE!!!!

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
I tried giving her some tater tots on FRI night. Granted, I was behind the glass (near the player entrance/exit) but she never even looked my way lol
Probably trying to ignore the temptation!

giphy.webp

• Haha

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Brutal game to attend. Far too many penalties to enjoy much. I’m liking Furlong more and more. Hamiluk looked more engaged than I recall seeing him. Cardwell looks to be a high IQ guy. His PK is impressive. A lot of our tryout guys against most of their top pick guys. Even then, we didn’t lose badly.
I can’t see any of the tryouts being signed. Not having Bords or Eklund was massive.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
So an update on my experience over the weekend.

Games were great! Got right on the glass for Kings V Avs first game and watched most of the second game over on the Orange Rink. Pretty cool seeing those guys play on a "regular" ice rink like the beer leaguers play on!

On Saturday, I get to my locker room first with my son for his game (locker room 3 on the old sharks practice rink). A guy standing outside asks if this is our room and we say that it is, and he asks us to wait a few minutes. We have some time before dryland warmups start so we say no problem and start talking about our upcoming game. As we are there I am leaning against a far wall and look over and see that its Logan Couture in there giving a 1 on 1 interview with someone. As he finishes up I ask if we could get a quick picture. He says of course and then proceeds to talk to us for about 5 minutes in the hallway before he has to go. We talk about how the tournament is going, how we are doing and where we came from. He couldn't have been nicer.

The only bad part is that now as a Penguins fan and Ducks/OC coach I used to loathe him...now I can't!! He was super cool....DARN YOU LOGAN COUTURE!!!!

I mean Logan Couture is one of the BEST CAPTAINS WE HAVE EVER HAD AS SHARKS FANS, and no matter how much many of us here try to deny it and besmirch his character and it just pains me, pains me when everyone wants to strip him of the C and they want to give it to Karlsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad