Recalled/Assigned: Sharks Recalls 2015-16 Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
yeah there should just one one thread for callups now unless it is a major player that is not going to bounce back and forth.

this is probably going to be the normal run of things from now on.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
So... yeah. From what I am hearing, my suspicions of Goldobin not being very good in the AHL may have merit.

Apparently he was benched for the third period during the last game he played.

So how much of that was his fault?

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
So... yeah. From what I am hearing, my suspicions of Goldobin not being very good in the AHL may have merit.

It's only been a few games at home so far, but the Barracuda are a strange team to watch.

The first couple games the offensive strategy for the more skilled forwards seemed to be "get the puck, try to deke around everyone in the zone." It worked about as well as you'd expect.

I'm not sure what's happened since then, but it seems like all the offensive creativity has been sucked out of the team. Lots of dumping and perimeter passing while occasionally throwing it in the direction of the net and hoping someone can jam it in. Goldobin wasn't on the ice much in the third on Sunday I don't think, no. The way the Barracuda were playing, I don't think he'd have done much of anything anyhow.

So far it's hard for me to fault Goldobin for his AHL play, because he doesn't seem like he fits on that team. He started the season on a line with Timmins and Jevlapovs, and they often looked like the most threatening line the Cuda had, but since that line was broken up both he and Jevlapovs have been almost invisible.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
It's only been a few games at home so far, but the Barracuda are a strange team to watch.

The first couple games the offensive strategy for the more skilled forwards seemed to be "get the puck, try to deke around everyone in the zone." It worked about as well as you'd expect.

I'm not sure what's happened since then, but it seems like all the offensive creativity has been sucked out of the team. Lots of dumping and perimeter passing while occasionally throwing it in the direction of the net and hoping someone can jam it in. Goldobin wasn't on the ice much in the third on Sunday I don't think, no.

So far it's hard for me to fault Goldobin for his AHL play, because he doesn't seem like he fits on that team. He started the season on a line with Timmins and Jevlapovs, and they often looked like the most threatening line the Cuda had, but since that line was broken up both he and Jevlapovs have been almost invisible.

good news guys the coaching staff is working about as well as we all expected

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

I'm not sure what's happened since then, but it seems like all the offensive creativity has been sucked out of the team. Lots of dumping and perimeter passing while occasionally throwing it in the direction of the net and hoping someone can jam it in. Goldobin wasn't on the ice much in the third on Sunday I don't think, no. The way the Barracuda were playing, I don't think he'd have done much of anything anyhow.

Welcome to Roy Sommer coached hockey!

This kind of stuff has been going on with the Sharks AHL teams for a very, very, very long time.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Welcome to Roy Sommer coached hockey!

This kind of stuff has been going on with the Sharks AHL teams for a very, very, very long time.

Right it's all Sommers fault, he has been given a mountain of talent to work with and just can't get it done...

That seems to be the narrative around this guy. Are you sure the opposite isn't more likely? Has Goldobin been any good? No one seems to really be able to answer this question. People talk about his teammates, the coach, and anyone else besides Goldobin. The most informative information is that lately he has been invisible, thank you for that. If his teammate are awful what does that say about him?

I suspect he hasn't been very good and if that is the case what exactly is Sommers supposed to do? Keep in mind Goldobin was always a bit of high risk high reward pick.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Right it's all Sommers fault, he has been given a mountain of talent to work with and just can't get it done...

That seems to be the narrative around this guy. Are you sure the opposite isn't more likely? Has Goldobin been any good? No one seems to really be able to answer this question. People talk about his teammates, the coach, and anyone else besides Goldobin. The most informative information is that lately he has been invisible, thank you for that. If his teammate are awful what does that say about him?

I suspect he hasn't been very good and if that is the case what exactly is Sommers supposed to do? Keep in mind Goldobin was always a bit of high risk high reward pick.

I don't care about the Roy Sommers talk because he should've been fired years ago but you've been told about Goldobin. You ignored it because it doesn't fit your preconceived notions about him. His teammates being awful or not doesn't really say much of anything about him and whether or not he's NHL caliber. He absolutely is.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

Do you want us to gather up the hundreds of quotes from 210 and Speed complaining about Sommer?

Seriously though, why are you so interested in ripping apart the players?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

The Cuda don't know how to get the puck in the offensive zone with possession, which is where Goldobin excels.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Do you want us to gather up the hundreds of quotes from 210 and Speed complaining about Sommer?

Seriously though, why are you so interested in ripping apart the players?

Yeah... I read them myself and didn't really buy what they were saying. It was a sort of an incoherent mix of Sommer sucks and the Sharks don't draft good prospects

PF: You are talking about a guy who isn't doing all that well at an AHL level. Sure you can blame the coach and his team mates all you want. It is a bit too early to call him NHL caliber. Also no, the most descriptive analysis of how he is doing in the AHL is that lately he has been invisible. I don't think that fits YOUR narrative.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah... I read them myself and didn't really buy what they were saying. It was a sort of an incoherent mix of Sommer sucks and the Sharks don't draft good prospects

PF: You are talking about a guy who isn't doing all that well at an AHL level. Sure you can blame the coach and his team mates all you want. It is a bit too early to call him NHL caliber. Also no, the most descriptive analysis of how he is doing in the AHL is that lately he has been invisible. I don't think that fits YOUR narrative.

He's not that good. Soft perimeter player often lost in the defensive zone. Very Russian style.

come on man if you're not gonna listen to what other people have to say and call their opinions baloney, at least watch him for yourself

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

That's your opinion based on what you've heard, a grand total of six games, and nothing that you have actually seen for yourself. I called him NHL caliber based on what I've seen from him in the NHL. It doesn't mean he's a perfect player or that he doesn't have things to work on. He's freaking 20 with extremely limited experience at this level. He's got the skills to be an NHL'er right now. He needs the details and consistency like most players his age have to work at.

You ask all these questions but it's obvious you already have an idea of how you're going to go with regards to this player but you won't even watch any of it yourself and make an honest determination so what does it matter what you or anyone else says on the subject of Goldobin? If he was as invisible as you believe he is, he would've never gotten the call up regardless of how desperate the team is. They wouldn't waste a year of his ELC or come close and they would reward players they feel are ahead of him and I'm sure arguments can be made for a few of them over a supposedly invisible player.

Ninja Hertl

formerly sharkohol
Feb 25, 2006
The Yay

He has zero help... I think he's the type of player that needs skilled players to succeed. He makes some insane passes in the A but his linemates blow it every time.

He does need to work on defensive presence and being 'hungry' for the puck, though. Once that happens he'll be really good.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

That's fine that you don't want to take their opinions on Sommer.

You didn't answer my question though, I genuinely want to know why you're looking for reasons not to like players.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I'm more likely to give Goldobin the benefit of the doubt.

He definitely has room to improve, of course, but he has shown some good things in the NHL games this year.

On the other hand, we have Sommer who has not go results in the AHL with some seemingly good prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad