Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Megathread XXI: "New, improved, and wayyyy too much info" Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
It's all part of the plan so that they can have the boy band. The SharkStreet Boys.

Smith is the cute one
Celebrini's the quiet one
Musty's the bad boy
Dickinson is the sporty one
and Askarov is the one you're pretty sure is way older than the rest of them because he's got a mustache.
gold.gif

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Not that it's shocking, but EP ranks the Sharks' prospect pool 1st in the league. Here's the lede:

The San Jose Sharks don't just have the best prospect pool in the NHL going into the 2024-25 season – they may have the best prospect pool we've ever seen in all our years doing this series.
Hard not to get excited, man. Here's the top-10 in order:

Celebrini
Askarov
Smith
Musty
Dickinson
Chernyshov
Mukhamadullin
Cagnoni
Bystedt
Halttunen

They're higher on Cagnoni than I am, and boy I hope they're right, I'd love to see him succeed even in a bottom pairing role.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Not that it's shocking, but EP ranks the Sharks' prospect pool 1st in the league. Here's the lede:

Celebrini
Askarov
Smith
Musty
Dickinson
Chernyshov
Mukhamadullin
Cagnoni
Bystedt
Halttunen

They're higher on Cagnoni than I am, and boy I hope they're right, I'd love to see him succeed even in a bottom pairing role.
I’m truly excited!!!

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
I’m truly excited!!!

Celebrini
Askarov
Smith
Musty
Dickinson
Chernyshov
Mukhamadullin
Cagnoni
Bystedt
Halttunen

Are they are unusually high on Askarov or low on Smith?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

Celebrini
Askarov
Smith
Musty
Dickinson
Chernyshov
Mukhamadullin
Cagnoni
Bystedt
Halttunen

Interesting thing is that they also think our system is deep too. At the end of our prospect ranking, I thought there were still 10+ legit C level prospects and they're saying there's up to ~30 players worth talking about. Of course pool strength is usually about what's at the top but there's so many legit assets that we can use for trades in the future and we're going to have even more over the next couple years.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Are they are unusually high on Askarov or low on Smith?
They've historically been a little low on Smith, but they're starting to come 'round on him. The write-up is certainly more positive and exciting than things they've written about him in the past. But they also rank Askarov as the #1 overall best goaltending prospect, so they are high on him too.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

Celebrini
Askarov
Smith
Musty
Dickinson
Chernyshov
Mukhamadullin
Cagnoni
Bystedt
Halttunen

I think the crazy thing is how quickly we got here. Of course, Celebrini sort of changed everything but some shrewd moves by Grier (moving up to get Dickinson, the Meier trade of which 2 pieces are in our top 10, turning Hertl into Askarov) and the sheer luck of having a few prospects drop to us (Chernyshov, Musty, and Dickinson) has seemingly completely turned our fortunes around FAST.

Now, some of them just have to be good in the best league in the world. Easy…

Grinner

May 31, 2022
I think the crazy thing is how quickly we got here. Of course, Celebrini sort of changed everything but some shrewd moves by Grier (moving up to get Dickinson, the Meier trade of which 2 pieces are in our top 10, turning Hertl into Askarov) and the sheer luck of having a few prospects drop to us (Chernyshov, Musty, and Dickinson) has seemingly completely turned our fortunes around FAST.

That's what can happen when you dump all your legitimate NHL talent
Logan Couture not withstanding

• Wow

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
That's what can happen when you dump all your legitimate NHL talent
Logan Couture not withstanding
A proper start to a rebuild in my eyes. Far too many teams try to “retool” and but it just delays the inevitable, better to offload everything and start from scratch. I still applaud the work Grier has done to offload the albatross contracts and get good value for them in return even if some disagree

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Yeah, I mean the caveat is that unlike most of the other rebuilding teams around us, we have literally nothing in our current lineup other than Eklund and Zetterlund that project as long-term pieces, so the fact that our prospect pool is this good right now is almost more a product of fortuitous timing than our future core truly being a step ahead of Chicago/Montreal/Anaheim, who had high-end pieces graduate recently or who are young established NHLers. We'll be Anaheim and Chicago of last year graduating Celebrini/Smith/Mukhamadullin/likely Askarov, so our prospect pool won't be 1st next season. But it'll still be strong with Musty, Dickinson, and another top-3 pick.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

To pick up Celebrini, Smith, Askarov, Dickinson, Musty, Halttunen, Cagnoni, Chernyshov, Graf and Sahlin Wallenius in basically 14 months is kind of ridiculous.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
A proper start to a rebuild in my eyes. Far too many teams try to “retool” and but it just delays the inevitable, better to offload everything and start from scratch. I still applaud the work Grier has done to offload the albatross contracts and get good value for them in return even if some disagree
That's all good and dandy.
I just pointed out an obvious corollation

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
To pick up Celebrini, Smith, Askarov, Dickinson, Musty, Halttunen, Cagnoni, Chernyshov, Graf and Sahlin Wallenius in basically 14 months is kind of ridiculous.
Some of these acquisitions highlight how adept Grier is getting/has become:

Celebrini showed Grier's ability to master a tank. Not a popular opinion, but getting Celebrini is a hidden return on the Burns, Karlsson, and Hertl trades.

Askarov showed Grier's ability to take advantage of a GM in a bad position, trading from a position of relative strength to acquire a blue-chip prospect

Dickinson felt like a repeat of DW's 2007 draft; it highlighted Grier's ability to read and predict a draft. No doubt the price to move up would have increased on draft day.

Graf tells us that Grier can attract undrafted free agents.

Musty and Halttunen indicate Grier's ability to find "sleepers" in the draft (though of course, it is still early).

Chernyshov showed Grier's ability to catch a falling knife and not overthink (like DW too frequently did).

Overall, there is no doubt that Grier has put thought into this rebuild; that isn't always a given (see Buffalo, Anaheim, Winnipeg, Edmonton, etc.)

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Musty and Halttunen indicate Grier's ability to find "sleepers" in the draft

How do you mean sleepers?

Both guys were very well regarded year before their draft season as potential top 10 picks but fell due to different things like mono and/or sloppy play.

Halttunen struggled in the men's league, which is understandable, but had he shown more of a complete game and even a decent amount of production (which he eventually did and then some going back to Finnish juniors), he was easily a 1st round selection. Musty just had a bad break catching mono at the start of the season and had consistency issues. He was a former 1st overall pick in the OHL draft though and very well thought of as a top pick for the 2023 draft.

If you are defining it as guys who had their draft stock fall, I can understand your point but they aren't guys I would define as sleepers.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad