Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Megathread XXI: "New, improved, and wayyyy too much info" Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Good read, seems like he is a mature 19 year old. Just extended through 2025-26 I believe. Wonder how much he wants to come to the US. Seems, at least from the interview, pretty content in the Russian / Belorussian world of hockey.

Thank you for reading. Yes, he has just extended for a further year - my article was completed before the announcement. Yeah he seems to be feeling good in the KHL and in Russia in general, but this doesn't mean that he doesn't have ambitions.

Separated by Pronman's tiers:

Elite NHL Player
1) Celebrini

Bubble NHL All-Star & Top of the Lineup Player
2) Smith

Top of the Lineup Player
3) Dickinson

Bubble Top and Middle of the Lineup Player
4) Askarov
5) Eklund
6) Chernyshov

Middle of the Lineup Player
7) Sahlin Wallenius
8) Mukhamadullin
9) Bystedt
10) Musty
11) Halttunen

Projected to Play Games (This sounds like a tier for guys who won't make it, but in reading the reports it's more like "has extremely limited upside beyond a low-level or niche role (Wetsch, Misskey)" or "has a significant flaw that might prevent them from cementing a regular lineup spot (Graf, Bordeleau, and Rimashevsky are low-physicality or heavy perimeter players, Cagnoni is tiny and that may impact his ability to defend larger bodies)")
12) Graf
13) Wetsch
14) Bordeleau
15) Cagnoni
16) Misskey
17) Rimashevsky

Has a Chance to Play (unranked and listed alphabetically)
-Furlong
-Gushchin
-Havelid
-Kashnikov
-Lund
-Pohlkamp
-Roberts
-Svoboda

and I was wrong, it's not U24, it's U23 as of September 15th

The big talking point is probably Musty down at 10. His rationale is that he considers Musty a one-way, offence-only player which is an issue when combined with a wavering level compete level and iffy skating.

Most of the other stuff is fair within ranges that people have said are extremely fluid. Some may say Sahlin Wallenius is a bit high, but I think our polls undersold him a bit. He's not likely to become a sexy D prospect with outstanding play on one side of the puck or the other, but he looks like he could/should be a solid contributor on both sides and a great skater to make that work, which is quite valuable.

Kashnikov on there is surprising, but he does seem like he has a solid skillset. His major flaw is that he bailed on North America and seems content in the KHL.

I should also note that slotting below Chicago seems to mostly be a function of Pronman believing that Bedard > Celebrini and Levshunov > Smith and weighting things heavily on that top-end talent.
In my opinion, Rimashevsky is better than Chernyshov. He posted better stats at any level, already won a full-time spot in the KHL, and looks like a pro player already. However, a change of scenery may do wonder for Chernyshov, although I'm not sold on his move to the CHL, plus his injury isn't a good thing to deal with.
We'll see, I may be wrong of course, but if I had 50 dollars to bet, I'd bet on Rimashevsky.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Good read, seems like he is a mature 19 year old. Just extended through 2025-26 I believe. Wonder how much he wants to come to the US. Seems, at least from the interview, pretty content in the Russian / Belorussian world of hockey.
It's an interview from the KHL website. I doubt he would be given questions or supply answers that make it look like he's gone at the first opportunity.

Reactions: coooldude

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm treating Rimashevsky as a guy to just let marinate in the KHL until he's 22-23, and if he's really doing well see if he wants to come over. He's a nice upside bet who could provide value as a cheap, nearly finished product in five years.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
FYI this was done before the Askarov trade. The podcast they mention Edstrom up front and no Askarov. I’m curious if with Askarov they are pushed to #1.
Yeah, listening to the podcast it's all calculated with Pronman's model, and Chicago's top 3 did "a lot of heavy lifting" particularly Bedard, but SJS was still very close, so I would guess that Askarov would have tipped SJS to #1.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Pretty funny that The Athletic has Musty as the Sharks' 10th best prospect while Elite Prospects ranks him 15th in the entire league.
Pronman is u23 and EP is non NHL prospects but I do agree there is a wide range of opinions on Musty.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

Elite NHL Player
1) Celebrini

2) Smith

Top of the Lineup Player
3) Dickinson

4) Askarov
5) Eklund
6) Chernyshov

7) Sahlin Wallenius
8) Mukhamadullin
9) Bystedt
10) Musty
11) Halttunen

Projected to Play Games (This sounds like a tier for guys who won't make it, but in reading the reports it's more like "has extremely limited upside beyond a low-level or niche role (Wetsch, Misskey)" or "has a significant flaw that might prevent them from cementing a regular lineup spot (Graf, Bordeleau, and Rimashevsky are low-physicality or heavy perimeter players, Cagnoni is tiny and that may impact his ability to defend larger bodies)")
12) Graf
13) Wetsch
14) Bordeleau
15) Cagnoni
16) Misskey
17) Rimashevsky

-Furlong
-Gushchin
-Havelid
-Kashnikov
-Lund
-Pohlkamp
-Roberts
-Svoboda

The big talking point is probably Musty down at 10. His rationale is that he considers Musty a one-way, offence-only player which is an issue when combined with a wavering level compete level and iffy skating.

Most of the other stuff is fair within ranges that people have said are extremely fluid. Some may say Sahlin Wallenius is a bit high, but I think our polls undersold him a bit. He's not likely to become a sexy D prospect with outstanding play on one side of the puck or the other, but he looks like he could/should be a solid contributor on both sides and a great skater to make that work, which is quite valuable.

Kashnikov on there is surprising, but he does seem like he has a solid skillset. His major flaw is that he bailed on North America and seems content in the KHL.

I should also note that slotting below Chicago seems to mostly be a function of Pronman believing that Bedard > Celebrini and Levshunov > Smith and weighting things heavily on that top-end talent.
I still have optimism for Pohlkamp after his recent development camp scrimmage. He was among the most impressive skaters in the game.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Thank you for reading. Yes, he has just extended for a further year - my article was completed before the announcement. Yeah he seems to be feeling good in the KHL and in Russia in general, but this doesn't mean that he doesn't have ambitions.

In my opinion, Rimashevsky is better than Chernyshov. He posted better stats at any level, already won a full-time spot in the KHL, and looks like a pro player already. However, a change of scenery may do wonder for Chernyshov, although I'm not sold on his move to the CHL, plus his injury isn't a good thing to deal with.
We'll see, I may be wrong of course, but if I had 50 dollars to bet, I'd bet on Rimashevsky.

Rimashevsky did look better than Chernyshov vs KHL competition. I like his ceiling more than Chernyshov's, but Rimashevsky also has more holes in his game.
That said, at least Chernyshov has the skill-set to play on lower NHL lines even if his offense never fully materializes. Chernyshov is the safer of the two.

Last edited:

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

Elite NHL Player
1) Celebrini

2) Smith

Top of the Lineup Player
3) Dickinson

4) Askarov
5) Eklund
6) Chernyshov

7) Sahlin Wallenius
8) Mukhamadullin
9) Bystedt
10) Musty
11) Halttunen

12) Graf
13) Wetsch
14) Bordeleau
15) Cagnoni
16) Misskey
17) Rimashevsky

-Furlong
-Gushchin
-Havelid
-Kashnikov
-Lund
-Pohlkamp
-Roberts
-Svoboda

It feels like there's too much recency bias on this list--maybe because Pronman does so much work on the draft, he ends up favoring the guys he's covered most recently? And maybe just not as plugged in on guys after they're drafted?

I simply cannot figure out the logic behind Musty being so low--how in the world is he four spots behind Chernyshov?--and even though I'm a fan of Wallenius, to put him at 7 and Mukhamadullin, a guy who's several years ahead of him in terms of development (and seems to be perfectly on-track in his development toward being an NHL regular, maybe as soon as this season), feels a bit mad.

I also will attest to probably being something of a homer when it comes to Eklund, but I really liked the steps he took last year in terms of his overall game, but I suppose you won't have gotten that if you didn't watch him regularly, and who--except some of us demented freaks--would have done that last season? But no matter: I think he's being slept on and is going to be a valuable member of our top six for a long time.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It feels like there's too much recency bias on this list--maybe because Pronman does so much work on the draft, he ends up favoring the guys he's covered most recently? And maybe just not as plugged in on guys after they're drafted?

I think he places more emphasis on ceiling potential than closeness to contribution. Freshly drafted guys have their whole development ahead of them to become possibly the best versions of themselves, whereas someone who's been in the system for a couple of years has grown at their actual pace instead of their projected one and may have had some of the higher branches on their tree of possible outcomes lopped off already.

I simply cannot figure out the logic behind Musty being so low--how in the world is he four spots behind Chernyshov?

In the writeup he focuses on the fact that Musty is a one-dimensional player who is not a defensive contributor at all and the fact that he has more inconsistency in his game and is not necessarily a great skater. Chernyshov, on the other hand, is highlighted as an excellent all-around player who competes hard and can control play physically.

This is his complete brief on Chernyshov:

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average
Shot: Above NHL average

Analysis: Chernyshov was very good at the junior level in Russia and earned ice time up in the KHL with a regular shift for a top team in Dynamo Moscow. He’s a big, powerful winger who skates well and has a lot of offensive creativity. He beats defenders routinely with his one-on-one plays, sees the ice well and can create at the net. He’s not going to run players over with his physical play, but he uses his body to create offense. He has the ability to control play at even strength due to his variety of tools and looks the part of a potential strong top-six winger in the NHL.

And this is Musty:

Skating: Below NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: Above NHL average
Compete: NHL average

Analysis: Musty was one of the best forwards in the OHL this season. He is a highly skilled puckhandler who can make difficult plays with the puck at a high rate. He tries to make things happen and shows a strong level of creativity. Musty is a great passer who can hit open lanes and has the patience to pull up and make plays. He can score goals and is a shot threat from range but is certainly a player with a pass-first mentality. His effort is fine and he can use his big body to win battles but his game-to-game consistency isn’t the best. He’s a one-way winger which, combined with his so-so skating ability, is a concern for higher levels. He projects as a middle-six wing who will help a power play but may frustrate coaches at times, too.

As for the defenders...

--and even though I'm a fan of Wallenius, to put him at 7 and Mukhamadullin, a guy who's several years ahead of him in terms of development (and seems to be perfectly on-track in his development toward being an NHL regular, maybe as soon as this season), feels a bit mad.

They're right next to each other. And it seems to come down to the fact that aside from size, Sahlin Wallenius is a more complete package. He's a better skater, a solid defender, and shows decent offensive chops even if that won't be his calling at the NHL level. Meanwhile Mukhamadullin is a good skater for his size, but not as good overall, is not quite as sound in his own zone, and also has a bit of a cap on his offensive output even though that is the stronger facet of his game. Both look like good two-way defenders at the NHL level, but he's just giving a small edge to Sahlin Wallenius because it's not about Mukhamadullin being ready for the NHL as soon as early this year, it's that by the end of their respective dev cycles Sahlin Wallenius looks like he could end up better overall.

I also will attest to probably being something of a homer when it comes to Eklund, but I really liked the steps he took last year in terms of his overall game, but I suppose you won't have gotten that if you didn't watch him regularly, and who--except some of us demented freaks--would have done that last season? But no matter: I think he's being slept on and is going to be a valuable member of our top six for a long time.

This is pretty much Pronman's take too. He's not "down" on Eklund. 5th behind 1) an all-NHL, franchise-cornerstone center, 2) an elite offense driver center, 3) an excellent top-4 defenseman who can play in all situations and 4) a high caliber starting goaltender is a fairly solid result. His review of Eklund is that he's an excellent all-around offensive winger who skates very well and can make plays in a variety of ways, he's just not "the most dynamic small winger I've ever seen" and may not have the elite star potential that was projected for him at some points around his draft year. But he will still probably be a strong long-term scoring winger in the league.

I also would argue that I don't know if anyone is sleeping on him. He's projected by basically everyone to be a long-term member of this team's top 6. Before we even entertain the idea of trades and other ways to fill in slots on the team, the top 6 could have as many as 5 spots filled by the likes of:

Chernyshov - Celebrini - Eklund
Musty - Smith - Halttunen

It probably doesn't go that way entirely because trades will be made, and guys may not make it, but even if we say that only one of Chernyshov, Musty, and Halttunen are likely to hit their top tier projections, that still puts Celebrini, Smith, and Eklund in place as your more-than-likely anchors of the future top 6.

Also just in general I think that there will be something coming in the next little bit that might help give some perspective on the whole issue of how the list is ranked. Basically I don't think that any of these possible ranking issues are all that big of a deal in the long run.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Don't judge a book by its cover and all, but man, I dislike this guy's vibes. I'm sure it doesn't help my assessment that I don't really like him as a prospect, but I also think he's going to be really annoying.

1725506505320.png

look at these dorks. just the future of the franchise is all
1725506626377.png

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Don't judge a book by its cover and all, but man, I dislike this guy's vibes. I'm sure it doesn't help my assessment that I don't really like him as a prospect, but I also think he's going to be really annoying.

View attachment 905143

look at these dorks. just the future of the franchise is all
View attachment 905144
The lack of coverage the Sharks are getting right now with Celebrini being drafted is a missed opportunity to grow the game in the Bay Area.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Pronman's 23 and under NHL and otherwise Paywall.

Out of 155 prospects, 11 Sharks make the cut.
Tier 1 elite player
Tier 2 bubble elite/all-star
Tier 3 all-star
Tier 4 bubble all-star/top of lineup player
Tier 5 top of lineup
Tier 6 bubble top/middle lineup
Tier 7 middle lineup

3 Celebrini (tier 1)
20 Smilthy (tier 4)
39 BDE (tier 5)
55 Askarov (tier 6)
63 Eklund (tier 6)
77 Chernyshov (tier 6)
88 Sahlin Wallenius (tier 7)
89 Mukhamadullin (tier 7)
107 Bystedt (tier 7)
144 Musty (tier 7)
149 Halttunen (tier 7)

Sidenote: Edstrom was ranked 67th. Gidlof the Gray Goalie 155th

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Cutter looks like he is 25. Will and Macklin look 15. :)

It's all part of the plan so that they can have the boy band. The SharkStreet Boys.

Smith is the cute one
Celebrini's the quiet one
Musty's the bad boy
Dickinson is the sporty one
and Askarov is the one you're pretty sure is way older than the rest of them because he's got a mustache.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad