Sharks Joe Thornton hit on Capitals TJ Oshie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
At 3:30, Couture swats the puck as Oshie pushes him and starts to fall. At 3:29, Thornton attempts to cut between Couture and Oshie and hits the falling Oshie. Were Oshie not falling, this would be a completely normal play. Thornton's butt would've hit Oshie's butt/hip, Oshie would've bounced off the boards, and that'd be the end of it. But I guess Thornton saw Oshie falling in that 1 second and decided to go for the kill with his ass.

Tries to "cut between Couture and Oshie"?

Bigger joke than Brenden Dillon.

Reactions: deaderhead28

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Thread is a lot quieter since there's video showing Thornton not get punched in the chin...

They almost always are when nearly everyone but the fans of the player that made the hit agree that it was dirty and intentional.

Congratulations, though, your star player got less than he deserved for his impersonation of a greasy plug, so enjoy that I guess.

TrappedInFullerton

Murray SMASH
Apr 19, 2006
Tries to "cut between Couture and Oshie"?

Bigger joke than Brenden Dillon.

No need to be so butthurt. . . :sarcasm:

But seriously, it f***ing sucks what happened. I like Oshie! I've always been a huge west coast Capitals fan, but to say it was intentional or malicious is completely bonkers. Oshie would be dead if Thornton had gone with any real intent to hit him hard. Just ruined. As it is, Oshie skated off on his own. Doesn't mean he's in the clear, but he wasn't carted off as he most likely would have been if Thornton was trying to hurt him there.

Also, apparently you don't watch much hockey if you don't think a player is going to try and separate another player from the puck along the boards. The puck was there at 3:30, was gone at 3:29. Thornton was moving to separate Oshie from Couture. If Oshie doesn't fall trying to hit Couture, Thornton's butt hits Oshie's butt or hip.

I hope the mods close this thread just because.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
They almost always are when nearly everyone but the fans of the player that made the hit agree that it was dirty and intentional.

Congratulations, though, your star player got less than he deserved for his impersonation of a greasy plug, so enjoy that I guess.
Except quite a few neutral fans have said it wasn't dirty or intentional

Reactions: TrappedInFullerton

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Thornton knew what he was doing but no way to prove it. This and the axe slash by Dillon could be attributed to a terribly officiated game. The little stuff thats not being called leads to frustration plays

Reactions: Phu

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
No need to be so butthurt. . . :sarcasm:

But seriously, it ****ing sucks what happened. I like Oshie! I've always been a huge west coast Capitals fan, but to say it was intentional or malicious is completely bonkers. Oshie would be dead if Thornton had gone with any real intent to hit him hard. Just ruined. As it is, Oshie skated off on his own. Doesn't mean he's in the clear, but he wasn't carted off as he most likely would have been if Thornton was trying to hurt him there.

Also, apparently you don't watch much hockey if you don't think a player is going to try and separate another player from the puck along the boards. The puck was there at 3:30, was gone at 3:29. Thornton was moving to separate Oshie from Couture. If Oshie doesn't fall trying to hit Couture, Thornton's butt hits Oshie's butt or hip.
Cute playing the inexperienced hockey fan card. Arrogant, but cute. The only player who had a legal right to try to separate anyone from the puck at that time was Oshie, since we're teaching each other hockey.

Second, I didn't say Thornton hit him as hard as he could, only that he followed through (and you're lying to yourself to say that he didn't). They call it "accidentally on purpose" for a reason, and it was absolutely intentional. As a fan, I've seen players make quicker decisions with their edgework on a regular basis. I've also seen them do other things like extend their arms, catch themselves against the boards first and attempt to lessen the impact on a compromised player.

Thornton never even applies the brakes. If he can't react faster than that he might as well hang them up before he hurts himself next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: deaderhead28

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Very dirty and an clear shot to the head. IF they took player safety seriously, they should suspend him. But since they've proven to not take it serious - he's free to go.

That is the dumb shit that needs out of the game.

Reactions: Eisen and Syckle78

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad