Confirmed with Link: Sharks claim Goodrow from NYR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I mean if Goodrow is that unhappy he can always ask to be put on unconditional waivers and terminating rest of his contract. He can then choose his destination as FA

He had his NTC right and Rangers had right to put him on waivers if he didn't want to go to SJ. No side violated CBA

Curious how is the view of Grier as GM so far? As outsider this move seemed well odd and has no real upside for Sharks IMO. Did Rangers a massive favor

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Curious how is the view of Grier as GM so far? As outsider this move seemed well odd and has no real upside for Sharks IMO. Did Rangers a massive favor
He's been divisive

Most on the board agree he's been shockingly effective at tearing down a really difficult salary situation and somehow extracted positive value out of multiple bad contracts, though some think he could/should have gotten more in trades for our bigger names

We're at the "throwing stuff at the wall" part of the build right now and the reaction is similarly mixed, some appreciate the attempts to find quality vets via dumpster diving but others are concerned with his lack of value when taking on cap problems from other teams

Reactions: themelkman

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I don’t think this has to be an evil handshake deal. Grier and Drury had a trade agreed on, Goodrow said no, Drury needs cap space so he said okay, I’m gonna waive you, man. And Grier wanted the player either way, so he picked him up.

Reactions: JBeast

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Goodrow seems like a great guy and a good leader, possibly even decent PKer still? Definitely sucks at evens, which is fine at this point in the rebuild, and Goodrow-Sturm-Dellandrea is probably gonna be a solid 4th line. I don't care about the money either given the Sharks' current cap sheet and this contract will be off the books by the time they gotta pay Smith and Celebrini in 3 years.

My one issue with this is if Goodrow is actually butthurt about the situation...because then the leadership and intangibles go out the window. We need a guy who is a good leader and helps reset the culture despite being an over the hill hockey player who is overpaid by 2.5M a year...not a guy who pouts for 3 years having to play for a team that stinks (or at least stinks for the first 2 years of that), especially since his contract is not going to be tradeable most likely. I guess you could always bury him in the AHL, but what was the point of this in the first place then?

Anyway, we'll see how this plays out...

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Goodrow seems like a great guy and a good leader, possibly even decent PKer still? Definitely sucks at evens, which is fine at this point in the rebuild, and Goodrow-Sturm-Dellandrea is probably gonna be a solid 4th line. I don't care about the money either given the Sharks' current cap sheet and this contract will be off the books by the time they gotta pay Smith and Celebrini in 3 years.

My one issue with this is if Goodrow is actually butthurt about the situation...because then the leadership and intangibles go out the window. We need a guy who is a good leader and helps reset the culture despite being an over the hill hockey player who is overpaid by 2.5M a year...not a guy who pouts for 3 years having to play for a team that stinks (or at least stinks for the first 2 years of that), especially since his contract is not going to be tradeable most likely. I guess you could always bury him in the AHL, but what was the point of this in the first place then?

Anyway, we'll see how this plays out...

I’m sure he’ll get over it. Isn’t he good friends with Logan? I think there’s also a world where this team gets much better while he’s in his last year…

He’ll suck it up and hopefully he’ll be more mad at NY for the waiver move and less mad at the Sharks for wanting him.

Reactions: DG93

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I’m sure he’ll get over it. Isn’t he good friends with Logan? I think there’s also a world where this team gets much better while he’s in his last year…

He’ll suck it up and hopefully he’ll be more mad at NY for the waiver move and less mad at the Sharks for wanting him.

He'll get over it. This isn't a situation where the player doesn't even know where San Jose is. SJ is who gave him a chance and his start and also traded him to a team that went on to give him two Cup rings. I doubt he has any ill will towards the Sharks.

Now if Philly waives Atkinson and the Sharks were to claim him, that might be a different situation altogether.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
He'll get over it. This isn't a situation where the player doesn't even know where San Jose is. SJ is who gave him a chance and his start and also traded him to a team that went on to give him two Cup rings. I doubt he has any ill will towards the Sharks.

Now if Philly waives Atkinson and the Sharks were to claim him, that might be a different situation altogether.

all your waives are belong to us

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Not reading all 6 pages but here are my thoughts (sorry if they were covered):
  1. I trust that Grier inquired about a trade before claiming him, and I trust that Drury told him honestly that there was no trade option (i.e they would keep him in Hartford until someone indicated they would claim him on re-entry waivers).
  2. I imagine Grier is going to tell him to wait it out one year, be a leader, then Grier will send him anywhere he wants @50% retention. That will mean we get something good in return.
  3. Considering the rumors that Goodrow was mad about this, I suspect the Rangers to face some Karmic response. On the flip side, this is a good opportunity for the org to treat a veteran player the right way, which in turn might attract more to sign.
  4. Goodrow checks most of the boxes that Grier likes, and a lot of those "intangibles" are things that would be good for the young guys to see and learn from. These things matter and having more players like that can't hurt. His value can't be lower than Hoffman's, on and off the ice, so that's an immediate upgrade.
Overall I don't love the move, but I think I would be more on board if it was confirmed that Drury was not going to trade him under any circumstances and that this was the only way to get him.

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
North Brunswick, NJ
I don't like the argument of, "We can afford to take on his contract, so who cares?" to justify this. Being able to take on bad contracts is an asset that we should be using to add value to the team, not just throwing it away because we can. Unless there is some transaction coming with the Rangers that will make us go why would the Rangers do that, this feels like a bad move.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
As a big MG supporter this move was bad if the value stays at San Jose just taking Goodrow from waivers. With Goodrow supposedly being unhappy, it's even more of a bad move for us chemistry wise.
I know some people give an argument about 3x3.6 not killing us cap wise, but it's still good to start practising a good cap management even though we are not close to the playoffs. You don't pay that much cap hit for a 4th liner in any situation.
I'm also aware San Jose is not the most wanted destination in the free agency, but I would leave money to overpay for defencemen before taking expensive 4th liners.

I'm going to give this move a chance to marinate a bit before giving it a full judgement, I guess there is something brewing so hopefully it is a part of bigger move.

EDIT: I may have been a little too harsh on that cap management comment, since MG has done a good job with the cap through the rebuild. What I meant is that I hope to see more moves involving the area that we need to get better (top 6 f, top 4 d) and spread the money there as we are about to draft our future 1C.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Outside perspective:

- In addition to his other qualities, Goodrow can re as lly fight, which will provide some protection for the young potential stars.

- ok you have a lot of cap space. But if you're going to use it and a roster spot to take on bad contracts, don't you want assets attached to them, like a 1st, a 2nd, a prospect, or a young player?

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I’m going to wait it out before jumping to conclusions. Once the initial sting wears off, Goodrow will realize this was a positive move for him.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I’m going to wait it out before jumping to conclusions. Once the initial sting wears off, Goodrow will realize this was a positive move for him.
I also don't think that Goodrow is a spiteful type that is going to PLD his way through his time here. Grier was in NY whenever they signed him to that contract (as well as the first year of his time there) so there is a relationship there. Goodrow is also obviously a former Shark as well and therefore not going somewhere totally unfamiliar. While the roster situation is entirely different than what it was when he left in 2020, Couture/Ferraro/Vlasic are still around from that team and Jumbo/Marleau seem to still be somewhat involved in the area.

I think he will be a professional and heed the messaging that Grier gives about what he's hoping for and expecting his role to be with the young guys. It won't be as fun as playoff hockey, but the quicker he helps get Macklin, Smith, etc. up to speed the quicker he can maybe get a playoff run in SJ or elsewhere in year 2/3.

It's never going to be his preference to go to a rebuilder after staking out a role/reputation as a playoff stalwart, but I don't think he will create a fuss about it given what we've seen from him in his career and the relationship with the GM and team/city noted above.

What I think I overrated was maybe the ability to just overpay our way into a veteran in a similar mold as Goodrow in UFA given the leaguewide sentiment on SJ amongst veteran players is that they don't want to come here if there are other options. So claiming him on waivers for nothing may be the only way that Grier can add a winning veteran voice to the room (something I may have taken for granted when dreaming up rosters).

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Goodrow is mad about his NTC being circumvented.
I guess I just don't see the problem

He had trade protection, he did not have a waiver protection

Sure, most players are mad about being moved without their permission, but no one broke any rules

If he didn't want to get waived he either needed to negotiate an NMC or play well enough that his team wouldn't want to waive him, neither of which he did

If he's gonna pout about being on the Sharks that may cause issues going forward, but for now all we know is "player is not happy about being waived", which would be the case for basically any player, and it's honestly mostly his own fault for not living up to his contract

Reactions: landshark

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I guess I just don't see the problem

He had trade protection, he did not have a waiver protection

Sure, most players are mad about being moved without their permission, but no one broke any rules

If he didn't want to get waived he either needed to negotiate an NMC or play well enough that his team wouldn't want to waive him, neither of which he did

If he's gonna pout about being on the Sharks that may cause issues going forward, but for now all we know is "player is not happy about being waived", which would be the case for basically any player, and it's honestly mostly his own fault for not living up to his contract
Again, I’m not saying Grier or the Rangers did anything technically wrong, but why on earth would you want a guy who does not want to be here on the team? The fact that this is even a story shows that it’s a problem.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Again, I’m not saying Grier or the Rangers did anything technically wrong, but why on earth would you want a guy who does not want to be here on the team? The fact that this is even a story shows that it’s a problem.
Because we want useful players and useful players don't want to be here

The whole "we want players who want to play for us" line is platitudinal, players want to play for winners, literally no one in the league wants to play for us right now

Players will want to be here if and when we start winning again, even our draft picks don't want to be here, I'm sure Celebrini would much prefer to be drafted by the Panthers right now but we get to hold him hostage under contractual control for the next 7 years

But the Panthers are a perfect example, no one wanted to play in Florida for over 20 years and the second they put together a stretch of winning seasons they're suddenly a destination for players all over the league

We're terrible, no one wants to be here except for players with no other way to be in the NHL, we're going to have to have some unhappy players for quite a while until we can finally build an attractive team

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Because no players will want to play on this Sharks team after last season. So they have to go above and beyond to add NHL players to the team. In this case it was manipulating waivers to circumvent a NTC.

No UFA wants to join this team and even if the Sharks overpay to sign someone they still don’t want to be here they are just willing to because it helps their bank account.

Do you think Granlund and Hoffman wanted to be traded to the Sharks? No, but one was a professional and made the best of it and the other pouted and might not ever play in the NHL again.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad