Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Yaroslav Askarov (w/extension, 2yr @ $2m per), F Nolan Burke 2025 3rd for Edstrom, VGK 1st, and G Chrona

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Getting past my apprehension of trading a 1st for goalie due to past experience, I don't like the 2yr term.

It's as if Askarov is telling GMMG he must be the starter before the end of the contract. Otherwise he'll take his pads and go somewhere else.

• Haha
Reactions: Patty Ice

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Getting past my apprehension of trading a 1st for goalie due to past experience, I don't like the 2yr term.

It's as if Askarov is telling GMMG he must be the starter before the end of the contract. Otherwise he'll take his pads and go somewhere else.
If Sharkira isn't good enough to beat out our stable of goaltenders by the end of the 2026-27 season, he'll have busted. If we had better goalies to beat out, then maybe there'd be a justifiable reason for him to still be a backup or AHL goalie, but not with this squad.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The extension was intended to give Askarov financial security in case he doesn't end up playing enough NHL games this season to earn that kind of a raise.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
The extension was intended to give Askarov financial security in case he doesn't end up playing enough NHL games this season to earn that kind of a raise.
He likely would have gotten a similar contract offer from someone else just on perceived potential. I think the extension is more meant to show good faith and that they're committed to him after feeling like he got the rug pulled out from under in him with Nashville.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
He likely would have gotten a similar contract offer from someone else just on perceived potential. I think the extension is more meant to show good faith and that they're committed to him after feeling like he got the rug pulled out from under in him with Nashville.
It also can help put him at ease about playing in the AHL this year knowing he already has his 1way NHL deal. He can room with Muk and play on the Cuda together for most of the year.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It also can help put him at ease about playing in the AHL this year knowing he already has his 1way NHL deal. He can room with Muk and play on the Cuda together for most of the year.
Muk should beyond playing full time AHL this year, if not he is close to being out of the league. This is going to be his 5th pro season since he was drafted, having a handful of NHL games only under his belt by now is already a bad sign.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Muk should beyond playing full time AHL this year, if not he is close to being out of the league. This is going to be his 5th pro season since he was drafted, having a handful of NHL games only under his belt by now is already a bad sign.
If he doesn't stick in the lineup by the end of the season, I'll agree with you. A certain amount of late blooming is totally fine, but if he doesn't build on the great AHL showing last season and show he can hang at least post-TDL, it'll be time to be concerned.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
If he doesn't stick in the lineup by the end of the season, I'll agree with you. A certain amount of late blooming is totally fine, but if he doesn't build on the great AHL showing last season and show he can hang at least post-TDL, it'll be time to be concerned.
Once again though, the same thing that applies to Sharkira applies to Mukhamadullin. There is almost no real competition for your spot. If you're anything at all, you should be in the NHL this year on this team. Win a spot and prove you're worth investing in.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Once again though, the same thing that applies to Sharkira applies to Mukhamadullin. There is almost no real competition for your spot. If you're anything at all, you should be in the NHL this year on this team. Win a spot and prove you're worth investing in.
I think we're saying the same thing.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
If Sharkira isn't good enough to beat out our stable of goaltenders by the end of the 2026-27 season, he'll have busted. If we had better goalies to beat out, then maybe there'd be a justifiable reason for him to still be a backup or AHL goalie, but not with this squad.

It will be hard for Askarov to break out and be the #1 goalie on the Sharks with this blue line in front of him, imo. Any goalie for that matter.

Vlasic comes off the books in Askarov's last year of contract. That's going to be a challenge for Grier to get a much improved blue line in that time period.

Askarov is no stranger in asking for a trade. Looks to me he doesn't play the long game. Johansen comes off the books at the end of this season. That's $4m which the Preds could have given him the same deal as the Sharks.

Wedgewood in my view is only a backup goalie. He's also older than Saros.

Plus, Saros is older and his contract is up at the same time as Askarov's new contract.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

I've hated the way this narrative has come about, because it was pretty predictable. This board was convinced that stuffing the Sharks roster with marginal NHLers so that the young guys could develop in the AHL/not be affected by losing culture/whatever. Now naturally it's a couple years later and people are going "Wow, they didn't get into any NHL games, that's very concerning." Is it?

How was Muk supposed to get into games last season? We started off with I think eight defensemen in the NHL and then just continued adding, if anything. The guy is 22 and has been in North America for one full season. He did very well. Then meanwhile the forward group had guys like Labanc, Barabanov, Hoffman, who contributed mostly nothing but we had to keep playing them, for what, potential trade value? I saw no indication whatsoever that the front office had any interest in playing our youth last season. I'm hoping that changes this year with the arrival of Celebrini/Smith.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Mukhamadullin turns 23 years old in January, this is by no means a make-or-break season, I'm not overly concerned if he isn't full time in the NHL this year

There's a case to be made it's better for his long term development for him to play 23 minutes a night in the AHL rather than getting crushed on the bottom pair of a terrible defensive team that will be in the basement of the NHL

I won't be worried about him unless he isn't establishing himself as a regular by the end of the 2025-26 season

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I've hated the way this narrative has come about, because it was pretty predictable. This board was convinced that stuffing the Sharks roster with marginal NHLers so that the young guys could develop in the AHL/not be affected by losing culture/whatever. Now naturally it's a couple years later and people are going "Wow, they didn't get into any NHL games, that's very concerning." Is it?

How was Muk supposed to get into games last season? We started off with I think eight defensemen in the NHL and then just continued adding, if anything. The guy is 22 and has been in North America for one full season. He did very well. Then meanwhile the forward group had guys like Labanc, Barabanov, Hoffman, who contributed mostly nothing but we had to keep playing them, for what, potential trade value? I saw no indication whatsoever that the front office had any interest in playing our youth last season. I'm hoping that changes this year with the arrival of Celebrini/Smith.
Things that make you say,”Hmm.”

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Mukhamadullin turns 23 years old in January, this is by no means a make-or-break season, I'm not overly concerned if he isn't full time in the NHL this year

There's a case to be made it's better for his long term development for him to play 23 minutes a night in the AHL rather than getting crushed on the bottom pair of a terrible defensive team that will be in the basement of the NHL

I won't be worried about him unless he isn't establishing himself as a regular by the end of the 2025-26 season
This is a fair take, I'm only saying that if he doesn't look as good or better than last year in the AHL, it's a stagnation that starts to haircut his likely upside. And I still think that we'd really prefer to see him step into the big club post TDL and play regular minutes -- and if he's doing that (which given his short stint last year I think he's quite capable of and won't get caved in on the 3rd pairing), then, great, he's still on track for middle pair.

If he regresses and/or completely shits the bed in limited time on NHL ice, it's time to start pruning his tree of potential outcomes. Not to say he's washed, but some sort of breakout will be far less likely.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
This is a fair take, I'm only saying that if he doesn't look as good or better than last year in the AHL, it's a stagnation that starts to haircut his likely upside. And I still think that we'd really prefer to see him step into the big club post TDL and play regular minutes -- and if he's doing that (which given his short stint last year I think he's quite capable of and won't get caved in on the 3rd pairing), then, great, he's still on track for middle pair.

If he regresses and/or completely shits the bed in limited time on NHL ice, it's time to start pruning his tree of potential outcomes. Not to say he's washed, but some sort of breakout will be far less likely.
I basically agree with all of this

I'll be honest that I'm not particularly high on Mukhamadullin as a prospect so I probably don't have the same expectations that some on this board seem to have, he's not a no-doubt NHLer in my eyes, so I'm more than willing to play the long game with him, he's still a work-in-progress

Reactions: coooldude

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Mukh was an AHL all-star last season. If he can't handle a bottom pairing role adequately at 23, I would be pretty disappointed.

We do have quite a few LHD, so that isn't to say that I'll be worried if he isn't a full-time NHLer this year, but he should get games and if he can't outperform, say, Henry Thrun from last year, I would be uneasy.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024

I'm talking about this year, not last year. Him playing in the AHL was fine last year. Now it's time to take on a tougher challenge and show you're up to it.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I basically agree with all of this

I'll be honest that I'm not particularly high on Mukhamadullin as a prospect so I probably don't have the same expectations that some on this board seem to have, he's not a no-doubt NHLer in my eyes, so I'm more than willing to play the long game with him, he's still a work-in-progress
My expectations are competent NHL defenseman. He doesn't have enough offensive skill to be more than that. If everything works out perfectly for him, maybe he's a second pairing defensive defenseman in the NHL, but I'm just looking for a guy who's competent, effective defensively, not shy about using his body when needed, and responsible in his own zone with the puck. Expecting more than that seems foolhardy - he doesn't have the track record of a guy who is capable of more than that.

• Wow

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
My expectations are competent NHL defenseman. He doesn't have enough offensive skill to be more than that. If everything works out perfectly for him, maybe he's a second pairing defensive defenseman in the NHL, but I'm just looking for a guy who's competent, effective defensively, not shy about using his body when needed, and responsible in his own zone with the puck. Expecting more than that seems foolhardy - he doesn't have the track record of a guy who is capable of more than that.
I kind of disagree with this assessment given what I/we know about the kid. He's a 6'4" noodle with some offensive capabilities. It's more like he's a PP2 guy, potentially... rangy and skates well for his size but doesn't necessarily use his size as much as he could... like a nerfed Dickinson. I wouldn't say he's profiling as a defensive D, more like a sort of solid middle pair 2-way D or a really solid 3rd pairing 2-way D who can play PP2 in a pinch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad