Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Yaroslav Askarov (w/extension, 2yr @ $2m per), F Nolan Burke 2025 3rd for Edstrom, VGK 1st, and G Chrona

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
This was a really helpful breakdown if a bit overly casual. First NHL game so he was super jittery.

Very aggressive style, definitely needs to work on rebound control and picking his spots, "calming down" a bit. Honestly he was a bit lucky not to give up 2-3 more, but he did steal two. Preds were leaving him out to dry. Was a bit too reliant on his athleticism. Jonathan Quick came to mind for me too and some folks in comments agree with that + Fleury... super athletic, a bit all over the place, will have very low lows but hopefully also the same highs. Gonna be a gamble of a career.
Here's a better breakdown of his first NHL start.
  • Better on the right levels of aggressiveness, still had some Quick-style sliding out of position
  • A little less of an "adventure" in the crease, a bit more controlled.
  • His athleticism and quick feet showed really well
  • Was a bit slow to track an obvious "Ovie shot from the Ovie spot" and gives up a one-T goal to the legend.
  • Likes playing the puck but may not be great (yet? ever?) at reading the play.
  • Evaluator says "definitely NHL skillset and top prospect but still probably 2yrs from being a starter" which feels fair.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Highlights:
  • Trotz says Asky has all the physical tools, but to be truly elite, it's the mental side of the game.
  • Paraphrasing, "Is he there yet? I don't think so, but can he get there? Absolutely, if he puts in the time and effort and does all the right things."
  • Saros judiciously comments that sometimes it happens fast and sometimes it takes patience to be a starter.
  • Trotz says "if we're going to have a little bit of a window, we need an Elite goaltender now."
  • This one basically less embarrassing in terms of trying to throw Askarov under the bus. Tries to paint it as "We like Jussi now, Askarov wanted something else and we didn't want the distraction so we pulled the trigger on a deal."

Reactions: vortexy

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I get how Korn's comments are a little cheap, but what has Trotz said that's so unacceptable?

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
It's just so weird to me that anyone needed to say anything other than, "Yeah, we're going all-in for the next few years with veterans, so we want the goalie who's in his prime right now for that."

But the Preds definitely were a little butt-hurt by the trade request so they had to say some shit. You can really see how someone like Trotz would feel that way. Askarov really ticks all the boxes for annoying the Trotz type: Russian, personality, self-assured, got some ego.

Anyway, I'm not complaining. Askaraov seems like the kind of guy who'll be motivated even more by all this. And even though it's not like the Sharks got some sweetheart discount deal, simply being able to get someone like Askarov is a huge coup. These guys rarely become available. It required a confluence of circumstances and Grier was able to swoop. I love it even if there's no guarantee of how good Askarov will be down the road.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
It's just so weird to me that anyone needed to say anything other than, "Yeah, we're going all-in for the next few years with veterans, so we want the goalie who's in his prime right now for that."

But the Preds definitely were a little butt-hurt by the trade request so they had to say some shit. You can really see how someone like Trotz would feel that way. Askarov really ticks all the boxes for annoying the Trotz type: Russian, personality, self-assured, got some ego.

Anyway, I'm not complaining. Askaraov seems like the kind of guy who'll be motivated even more by all this. And even though it's not like the Sharks got some sweetheart discount deal, simply being able to get someone like Askarov is a huge coup. These guys rarely become available. It required a confluence of circumstances and Grier was able to swoop. I love it even if there's no guarantee of how good Askarov will be down the road.
I get both sides of it Askarov has no path to the NHL as a starter but at the same his ego got in the way as well because he’s not ready to be a starter in the NHL.
I’m guessing Trotz and Korn are pissed because time and money were spent on Askarovs development as well as drafting him and giving him an opportunity they invested that time on his development track and probably easing him into the league so he would have a high chance of being successful in the league.

Either way it’s to the sharks benefit now 😂

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I’m guessing Trotz and Korn are pissed because time and money were spent on Askarovs development as well as drafting him and giving him an opportunity they invested that time on his development track and probably easing him into the league so he would have a high chance of being successful in the league.
In pro sports, both teams and athletes alike use leverage when they have it to get the most favorable outcome for themselves and the ones with no leverage often cry when it's used against them. If Trotz thought he could ink the goalie ahead of Askarov in the rotation and Askarov would be content to just compete for the backup slot knowing that he'd never have a chance to be the starter and wait for the Predators to trade him on the timeline most convenient to them, he's high on his own supply. The second he gave Saros that contract, he should have expected a trade request the next day. Any other player in that situation that has value around the league would have done the same. To pretend like Askarov did something beyond the pale there is completely arrogant. He knew he was going to be a free agent at the end of the season and he put the screws to them because he had no reason to wait another year because it was most convenient for Trotz.

If they want to be pissed at someone, they can be pissed at themselves for creating the situation.

Reactions: 67 others

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Reading the article it sounds like Asksrov went to Trotz privately to ask for a trade and it was only after no movement on a trade did he go public about not reporting almost assuredly to press Trotz to make a deal.

It also mentioned their plan was for him to win the backup spot and have Wedgewood go to the AHL. I personally am not buying this. They would have screwed Askarov if he didn’t press for the trade.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Like a certain captain of a team Trotz coached to a Cup? :sarcasm:
Ha, well, different circumstances, different players. Ovechkin was a long-established superstar by that point. Kuznetsov was a kid still, but maybe it was different with Ovie around as captain.

Who knows--maybe it's just goalies that aren't supposed to have personalities. Whatever it is, it all feels weirdly personal with Askarov, and the whole situation really unnecessary.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Ha, well, different circumstances, different players. Ovechkin was a long-established superstar by that point. Kuznetsov was a kid still, but maybe it was different with Ovie around as captain.

Who knows--maybe it's just goalies that aren't supposed to have personalities. Whatever it is, it all feels weirdly personal with Askarov, and the whole situation really unnecessary.
Kind of like having the last say as a "we told you so" if things go sour. So stupid.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
In pro sports, both teams and athletes alike use leverage when they have it to get the most favorable outcome for themselves and the ones with no leverage often cry when it's used against them. If Trotz thought he could ink the goalie ahead of Askarov in the rotation and Askarov would be content to just compete for the backup slot knowing that he'd never have a chance to be the starter and wait for the Predators to trade him on the timeline most convenient to them, he's high on his own supply. The second he gave Saros that contract, he should have expected a trade request the next day. Any other player in that situation that has value around the league would have done the same. To pretend like Askarov did something beyond the pale there is completely arrogant. He knew he was going to be a free agent at the end of the season and he put the screws to them because he had no reason to wait another year because it was most convenient for Trotz.

If they want to be pissed at someone, they can be pissed at themselves for creating the situation.
Given trots well over 2 decades of being a classy individual and this is the first time he’s ever had an “outburst” which is being completely overblown BTW (like no one’s ever been frustrated in their lives before) I’d say there may be more to this behind the scenes then we are aware of, given the widely and publicly acknowledged professionalism IE maturity problems Askarov has and has displayed all this vitriol being slung at Trots and Korn is probably misplaced. Hopefully the management can get Askarov locked in or it’s going to be a tale of wasted assets

Here's a better breakdown of his first NHL start.
  • Better on the right levels of aggressiveness, still had some Quick-style sliding out of position
  • A little less of an "adventure" in the crease, a bit more controlled.
  • His athleticism and quick feet showed really well
  • Was a bit slow to track an obvious "Ovie shot from the Ovie spot" and gives up a one-T goal to the legend.
  • Likes playing the puck but may not be great (yet? ever?) at reading the play.
  • Evaluator says "definitely NHL skillset and top prospect but still probably 2yrs from being a starter" which feels fair.
So when you order Quick on wish and order the Irbe puck handling option 😂

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Reading the article it sounds like Asksrov went to Trotz privately to ask for a trade and it was only after no movement on a trade did he go public about not reporting almost assuredly to press Trotz to make a deal.

It also mentioned their plan was for him to win the backup spot and have Wedgewood go to the AHL. I personally am not buying this. They would have screwed Askarov if he didn’t press for the trade.
Wedgewood at $1.5 mill per over 2 years is a solid backup. If a team needed one, he stood a high chance of getting claimed if Nash opted to send him to the A and have Askarov as the backup. But, teams always want to be 3 deep in net. Option 3 is either a young kid or a veteran who is a NHL/AHL tweener. Chances of Wedgewood clearing was likely low, thus the logical option would be Nash sending Askarov down as he is waiver exempt. The 4th goalie is Matt Murray (but not the former Penguin), it's a 26 year old. So, if they lost Wedgewood, they wouldn't have a reliable 3rd option.

Team POV, have to protect yourself as you can't bet on a rookie. If Sarros went down for 8 weeks, they'd be down to Askarov and Murray without Wedgewood.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Wedgewood at $1.5 mill per over 2 years is a solid backup. If a team needed one, he stood a high chance of getting claimed if Nash opted to send him to the A and have Askarov as the backup. But, teams always want to be 3 deep in net. Option 3 is either a young kid or a veteran who is a NHL/AHL tweener. Chances of Wedgewood clearing was likely low, thus the logical option would be Nash sending Askarov down as he is waiver exempt. The 4th goalie is Matt Murray (but not the former Penguin), it's a 26 year old. So, if they lost Wedgewood, they wouldn't have a reliable 3rd option.

Team POV, have to protect yourself as you can't bet on a rookie. If Sarros went down for 8 weeks, they'd be down to Askarov and Murray without Wedgewood.
I agree that the should have signed a capable 3rd goalie as I wanted the Sharks to have. My issue is them telling Askarov he will start in the NHL and getting upset when he didn’t believe them. There is no way Askarov would have started the season in the NHL. I don’t remember who gave the analogy but they just sound like an ex who can’t get over the breakup still telling them you will never find anyone better than me.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I agree that the should have signed a capable 3rd goalie as I wanted the Sharks to have. My issue is them telling Askarov he will start in the NHL and getting upset when he didn’t believe them. There is no way Askarov would have started the season in the NHL. I don’t remember who gave the analogy but they just sound like an ex who can’t get over the breakup still telling them you will never find anyone better than me.

I think that was me that used that analogy.

and I do call BS on their claim that they were prepared to start Wedgewood in the AHL if Askarov beat him out. Because I can totally see Trotz saying that they would a) want Wedgewood to provide experienced backup to Saros and b) want Askarov playing as much as possible for his development, which would necessitate being in the AHL rather than play like 15-17 sporadic NHL games on Saros' off days. They might've asked Wedgewood if he was OK with that possibility and he may have said he was, but I don't see many avenues in which they follow through on that alternative.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad