Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Yaroslav Askarov (w/extension, 2yr @ $2m per), F Nolan Burke 2025 3rd for Edstrom, VGK 1st, and G Chrona

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I understand why but I assume either the Sharks chose Musty's ceiling or Nashville wanted a guy who can come in sooner than later.

I don't know a ton about Askarov other than he's considered one of the best goalie prospects in hockey (and he's huge and agile and fast). He seems like a bit of a headcase but he's 22 and I feel like that's one thing Nabby can help with.

Every trade is a risk, but this one seems like a very reasonable one.
The downside risk is Vegas craters and we gave up a top 10, maybe even top 5, pick for a goalie which is probably a bad move unless Askarov becomes like Vasilevsky 2.0.

I think that risk is significant which is why I was so opposed to trading the pick. All of Vegas' core players are old and/or injury-prone and their goaltending is dogshit. Crazier things have happened.

Reactions: Hangemhigh

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
That looks like Nashville got a better deal (potentially the best if Vegas doesnt do well this season) than any of the known elite goalies got in trades. Goalies are too random to trade that much. Right now it looks like Nashville won this trade

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The downside risk is Vegas craters and we gave up a top 10, maybe even top 5, pick for a goalie which is probably a bad move unless Askarov becomes like Vasilevsky 2.0.

I think that risk is significant which is why I was so opposed to trading the pick. All of Vegas' core players are old and/or injury-prone and their goaltending is dogshit. Crazier things have happened.
Vegas will ultimately be a fringe playoff team or not at all. Similar to Pittsburgh. If they end up picking around 14th-15th then so be it.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

If both the Sharks and Vegas crater and pick top 5, it'll be a bit of a bummer. But I really don't think Vegas is going to crater that much, honestly, like I can see them missing the playoffs, maybe?

The condition does mean that if they are both top 10 picks, we have two chances at winning the lottery, though (and that's the pick we keep).

Like I said, I think the risk is definitely there -- but we had a big ol' fat hole in goal and we just got the top prospect goalie prospect in the league. Grier is aggressively building the team to be competitive for Celebrini in the very near future.

But yes, of course, it definitely hinges on Askarov getting to his potential.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
It's odd that the majority of those against the trade are against it under the absolute certainty that Vegas will completely bottom out.

I'm probably the biggest Vegas hater here and even I don't think that's realistic.
Scars from it already happening to us once before - We will still cheer against Vegas to suck but it was a fun dream to imagine them bottoming out and giving us a lottery pick. Would have made for a really fun season if it happened.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I think it's kind of funny that the people who don't like the deal are worried that we're giving up a top 5 pick and a high-end prospect, but that's like, the very best world for Nashville. Isn't it just as likely that they might be ending up with a 4th line center and a 23rd pick and we're ending up with a franchise goalie?

In fact, the latter is probably likelier because Vegas is in a terrible division and Edstrom is good but it's still unclear if he has the offense to be a 3rd line center whereas Askarov is a very very highly touted prospect.

Again, every trade is a gamble, but I think this was an obvious one to take.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It's odd that the majority of those against the trade are against it under the absolute certainty that Vegas will completely bottom out.

I'm probably the biggest Vegas hater here and even I don't think that's realistic.
I'm not against the trade and I'm not absolutely certain Vegas will bottom out. But there's a decent chance Pietrangelo has fallen off a cliff, Stone spends his customary 50 games on LTIR and the vaunted Hill/Samsonov tandem doesn't hold up resulting in a bottom-10 finish.

Reactions: spintops

Selachimorpha

Feb 18, 2015
Just leaving this here. Dude has some personality!

videoplayback.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad