Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Yaroslav Askarov (w/extension, 2yr @ $2m per), F Nolan Burke 2025 3rd for Edstrom, VGK 1st, and G Chrona

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
Sharks have so many prospects that trading away a barely top 10 org. one + any future prospect is irrelevant. They will also have a guaranteed top 10 pick next year anyways.

MG getting this done with the "most established prospect" being Edstrom is a Win. Although I think Edstrom will be better than Bystedt.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I would have rather just given up Musty one for one (if that was possible) but this is fine.

The pick isn't really protected in any meaningful sense. It's basically just hedged against the unlikely scenario Vegas wins the lottery.

Askarov needs to develop into an upper echelon NHL starter or else I don't totally see the upside here but I trust the Sharks scouting.
Grier doesn't want to waste The prime ELC years of all he's worked for because he keeps going back to the Blackwood/Reimer well.

Reactions: karltonian

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
That’s a big price to pay. I’d probably rather have kept the package but Askarov is worth getting excited about and it’s still a net win from the Hertl trade.

Neutral fan…. I think it’s a great move for San Jose.

Askarov is arguably the best goalie prospect in the world…. And I think goalie was clearly the biggest need for San Jose.

Vegas 1st is whatever, I’m sure sharks will be selling a piece or 2 or helping teams with cap to grab another mid - late 1st this year anyway. Idk much about edstrom to judge his value but seems like he’s prob moved down your depth chart a bit.

In this offseason alone GMMG got your franchise a
Franchise center
Top pair lhd
Franchise goalie

To add, I think it was solid value for Nashville also…. Teams were def bidding on a goalie like askarov

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I would have rather just given up Musty one for one (if that was possible) but this is fine.

The pick isn't really protected in any meaningful sense. It's basically just hedged against the unlikely scenario Vegas wins the lottery.

Askarov needs to develop into an upper echelon NHL starter or else I don't totally see the upside here but I trust the Sharks scouting.

I understand why but I assume either the Sharks chose Musty's ceiling or Nashville wanted a guy who can come in sooner than later.

I don't know a ton about Askarov other than he's considered one of the best goalie prospects in hockey (and he's huge and agile and fast). He seems like a bit of a headcase but he's 22 and I feel like that's one thing Nabby can help with.

Every trade is a risk, but this one seems like a very reasonable one.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Nashville fan here, congrats! He's the top goalie prospect in the world and is stylistically like Vokoun/Hasek, needs to work on consistency and his glove hand but if anything he'll be fun! Looking forward to watching him.
Cheers man. I think you did well considering the circumstances of Askarov asking for a trade. Edstrom and the Vegas 1st can be chips to load up at the deadline for you or will add depth to your prospect pool. Sharks are at the point where consolidating assets into elite youngsters is smart too.

Selachimorpha

Feb 18, 2015
A blurb from Wheeler when he was rating the top drafted goalie prospects earlier this summer (had Asky #2 behind Wallstedt):

Askarov’s got some high-end tools and legitimate No. 1 talent and remains one of the very best prospects at his position in the sport. His raw talent has always separated him. His ability to change directions in the net, stay on top of shooters, track their hands and make reactionary saves is elite. His athleticism is, too. He regularly makes second- and third-chance saves holding firm in his positioning even when he’s laying on the ice.​
There are still times when he gets frozen over his glove hand, something NHL teams will exploit, but he has made important progress catching pucks. He can look jittery in the net, bouncing on his toes and moving to pucks (which he says is to keep himself focused and make some of those quick-twitch saves I talked about). But his agility and reads are so impressive that he can steal games when he’s at his best, and make the difficult saves that others just can’t get to or stick with. There isn’t a goalie prospect in the world with quicker feet through shuffles or more explosiveness side-to-side or low-to-high than Askarov. That blend of power and speed combined with his extended track record at a young age gives him very high upside.​

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Tough one for me. I hate the conditions of the pick.

We now cannot get two top ten picks, so we potentially couldve given away 2nd overall here (unlikely but possible)

The thing is, we're slowly getting to a place where, while picks are good, we don't need to keep loading up on them -- we can start weaponizing them to fill in the gaps we have.

Our prospect pool is pretty insane right now...

Celebrini
Will Smith
Askarov
Musty
Dickinson
Chernyshov
Bystedt

it's... uh, nice.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
The thing is, we're slowly getting to a place where, while picks are good, we don't need to keep loading up on them -- we can start weaponizing them to fill in the gaps we have.

Our prospect pool is pretty insane right now...

Celebrini
Will Smith
Askarov
Musty
Dickinson
Chernyshov
Bystedt

it's... uh, nice.
If you told me a year ago the Sharks would have both Celebrini and Askarov I would've laughed in your f***ing face

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
No, the Vegas 1st was unprotected because they traded their 2026 1st in the Hanifin deal.

I feel like the Knights are very likely to end up in the playoffs given how bad the Pacific is. Other than Vancouver and Edmonton, I don't feel like there are any legitimately good teams in the Pacific...
Demko mught be out for a bulk of the season too, further helping VGK in-division

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Great f***ing trade, Mike Grier masterclass continues. Edstrom was going to be a bottom-6 center, and those are not that hard to find if you have a competent front office. The first round pick stings, but you gotta give to get, and the Sharks may have just gotten their 22/23yo franchise goalie for a decade. I'm super pumped

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad