Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Yaroslav Askarov (w/extension, 2yr @ $2m per), F Nolan Burke 2025 3rd for Edstrom, VGK 1st, and G Chrona

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Edstrom the VGK 1st seems pretty price. Even if the pick lands top 10 we are likely finishing lower and keeping our pick.

Don't hate it, just didn't get a huge discount because he requested a trade. McGroaty deal probably should have told us he wasn't going for pennies.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
That’s a big swing by Mike. You can accuse Grier of a lot of stuff, but he ain’t boring!
Is it though? At the end of the day Moving Hertl's NMC contract was huge. Getting picks out of it to trde for the top Goalie prospect in the NHL is an absolute coup. House money IMO.

Reactions: Alaskanice

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Edstrom the VGK 1st seems pretty price. Even if the pick lands top 10 we are likely finishing lower and keeping our pick.

Don't hate it, just didn't get a huge discount because he requested a trade. McGroaty deal probably should have told us he wasn't going for pennies.
Why would there be a discount? There are a lot of teams that need goalies.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I think this tells you that they really don't want a long rebuild.

We have (pending everyone working out, but in theory):

-goalie of the future
-franchise top-line center
-2nd line center
-two top 4 defensemen (Dickinson, Muhk)

The pieces of the team are almost there. Grier's most important job now is to find us the #1D.

Jul 10, 2010
I think VGK could really crash this season, so that pick might be a very good one.

Edstrom himself is a former first-round pick and is considered a pretty good prospect. Not to mention that Chrona is decent; far better than ECHLer Burke.
I dont. I think just being in the Pacific guarntees them a playoff spot. Us, Anahiem and Calgary are all bottom tier teams they wont finish worse than. Seattles also unlikely to be a playoff team. Im expecting VGK, Edmonton and Vancouver to swap 2,3,4 in the division throughout the year.

VGK has too many games vs weak teams to fully implode this year.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I think it's interesting that Grier basically replenished the two 3rds he lost in the Hertl trade with the Ceci trade and now the Askarov deal.

Grier has a real strategic approach to seemingly everything he does. I feel like the minute he traded those 3rds he knew he was going to replenish them before we got to the next draft.

He is also obviously checking all the boxes on what the team needs to compete in the near future. Like yes, prospects are always good and Edstrom was interesting, but 3rd line centers are fairly easily attainable whereas star goalies are not, so, I love the aggressiveness of this move so much.

Now, Askarov just has to deliver.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Because unhappy players claiming they aren't going to show up // close enough to hitting RFA and forcing the issue don't always go for their highest possible value..
Every time it happens the value is always fair. Guthier, McGroaty. Teams can afford to wait as long as they want until the right value comes along. With 31 other teams someone eventually caves and comes in with a good offer. Happens almost every time.Sitting back and waiting for hte price to go down is risky in so many ways.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Jul 10, 2010
Basically if the Vegas 1st ends up in the top-10 and the Sharks somehow miraculously end up outside the top-10, we get to keep the better pick.
correct me if im wrong. But i though the VGK 1st was top 10 protected when we got it, so it would push to the following year?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I would have rather just given up Musty one for one (if that was possible) but this is fine.

The pick isn't really protected in any meaningful sense. It's basically just hedged against the unlikely scenario Vegas wins the lottery.

Askarov needs to develop into an upper echelon NHL starter or else I don't totally see the upside here but I trust the Sharks scouting.

Reactions: CHIshark and Zarzh

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
correct me if im wrong. But i though the VGK 1st was top 10 protected when we got it, so it would push to the following year?
No, the Vegas 1st was unprotected because they traded their 2026 1st in the Hanifin deal.

I feel like the Knights are very likely to end up in the playoffs given how bad the Pacific is. Other than Vancouver and Edmonton, I don't feel like there are any legitimately good teams in the Pacific...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad