Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Yaroslav Askarov (w/extension, 2yr @ $2m per), F Nolan Burke 2025 3rd for Edstrom, VGK 1st, and G Chrona

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I think the ideal situation is they're really bad and then their like #6 pick wins the lottery and we give up our #whatever pick. I don't even care if our pick is #2, I just want to win the lottery with Vegas's pick to make them hurt.
I like this mindset. Even if it's not our pick anymore the thought of Vegas absolutely bottoming out with Hertl and not having a super high pick to show for it makes it so so satisfying.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
This a huge upgrade in the goalie department now he can focus on R/H D in the next draft. Nashville has always produced some pretty excellent goalies

Reactions: themelkman

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Jesse Granger: "In Askarov I believe the Sharks are getting a potential future top-five goalie in the entire NHL. With his incredible athleticism, precise edge work and quick twitch reactions, I believe Askarov’s ceiling is Vezina-caliber. He’s quick laterally, and always seems balanced and anchored to the ice no matter how quickly the play shifts side to side. He’s a fiery competitor, which should help behind a rebuilding Sharks’ defense."

View attachment 902824
Quibbles about the return aside, it's going to be really exciting to root for Askarov and watch his development up close no matter what happens.

We haven't had a goalie prospect like this in over 20 years.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Here's my thought on the situation this year:

Askarov will start with the Cuda. The clear-cut starter. Blackwood and Vanecek will platoon with the Sharks... until one of them inevitably gets hurt, in which case Askarov gets called up. If Askarov is killing it in the AHL, you move a goalie at the deadline and call up Askarov. Next year, Sharks choose one of Blackwood or Vanecek to keep to platoon with Askarov. Beyond that, you hope Askarov is ready to be the full-time NHL starter.
I kind of hope they do his development the way buffalo handled Ryan millers, there’s no rush to bring him up right now other then to just give him a look.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I've long thought Fabbro would be a Shark, but if it was gonna happen it would have happened alongside the Askarov trade.

Yea would have been nice to grab him instead of Burke for cap relief on the Preds end.

They might be getting that relief from the Johansen contract termination though.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Say it was top 10 protected, then San Jose would have to give up their 26 1st unconditionally, right? Honestly I imagine SJ in 2025-2026 will be worse than Vegas on 2024-2025. I have definitely fantasized about Vegas collapsing, just missing the playoffs (ending up say 14th overall+lotto win for 4th). The probability of that seems rather minute, particularly in a terrible Pacific. LA, Vancouver, and Calgary also had pretty rough offseason while SJ and Anaheim are terrible. Maybe Utah takes a huge step, but Vegas looks straight up better. Maybe they can knock Vegas into wild card zone and each of LA, Minnesota, Winnipeg outplay them?

Sure I’d rather have done Edstrom and our next two seconds. However that’s to live the fantasy. Say it’s 35th OA this year and 37th next year. Honestly that’s not far off Vegas at 17th overall. However, I imagine Chicago, Montreal, and Philly were all looking hungrily at Askarov. Had to give to get.

I subscribe to goalies are voodoo, and fully admit Askarov could bust. However, before today maybe we had one goalie prospect in the top what 150? Now we have one in the top 3, drafted 11th overall, and had years in Nashville’s factory. I want us to draft another next year, but that guy would be a solution for the 2030-31 season. Askarov could be a solution from 2025-2035. Also he’s 6’3. If you’re going to have a premier goalie prospect it may as well be a big one.

Evgeni Nabokov, you have your elite talent, let’s see what you can do with it.

Reactions: vortexy

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Bummed to lose Edstrom, but got to give to get. I thought he could be a long term 3C, but the reality is, at some point we’re going to use a 1st on a Jett Luchanko or some other type of guy who’s absolutely miserable to play against. Edstrom’s a luxury asset-particularly with Celebrini, Smith, and Bystedt- for a critical one. There’s risk, but I always believe there’s no substitute for elite talent.

Reactions: vortexy and Grinner

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Would have rather given away what is likely to be a 2nd rounder between 33-35 overall, but if Vegas is picking 23rd or something (as Vegas odds for SCF would project today), then the difference is likely not going to be meaningful.

Edstrom, we hardly knew you, but didn't project to be more than a 3/4 tweener. Valuable thing to have for sure, but Michael McCarron was probably his ceiling.

No rules say you have to use acquired assets a certain way. Good move by Grier turning Hertl into Askarov (plus a boatload of cap space).

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I genuinely love everything I've just read about Askarov -- both about his intense personality and his insanity in net. The Thornton Sharks were partly fun because we had some really great personalities -- Joe, Burns, SCOTT PARKER, etc. -- and I love that we've got some guys that can entertain. Just a personal preference.

Reactions: CHIshark

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Nashville now has 3 firsts and 2 seconds. They can either trade for win now pieces or try some Warriors like 2 timeline strategy to have an influx of young players as this core ages out.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
The downside risk is Vegas craters and we gave up a top 10, maybe even top 5, pick for a goalie which is probably a bad move unless Askarov becomes like Vasilevsky 2.0.

I think that risk is significant which is why I was so opposed to trading the pick. All of Vegas' core players are old and/or injury-prone and their goaltending is dogshit. Crazier things have happened.
I just don't really see (and haven't from the jump) where this supposed Vegas cratering is going to come from. They have a really solid center group with Eichel, Hertl, Karlsson, Howden and then one of the top D groups in the Western Conference with Petro, Hanifin, Theodore, Whitecloud, McNabb, and Hague.

Sure, injuries could hit and screw them big time, but the same could be said for basically anyone else. Add in how they'll magically find a way to make Holtz look like the guy he was drafted to be and Dorofyev takes another step and Brisson takes a step and they will be right there with Edmonton in the Pacific. Plus whatever star player they are able to acquire at the TDL when someone inevitably does get injured.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
GMMG doesn't mess around with slow rebuilds. Sure this is risky but I have seen enough of Detroit/Ottawa/Buffalo/Anaheim slow rebuilds and they seem like they are on a treadmill to nowhere. The key for Askarov finding his place in the org and in the NHL will hopefully be Evgeni Nabokov, who as mentioned on the SJSN podcast was probably heavily consulted before Mike Grier and team would consider the trade.

And what a message to send to the team: establish winning culture now! He is pulling the levers aggressively to build this team back to contending status.

Reactions: vortexy and DG93

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I just don't really see (and haven't from the jump) where this supposed Vegas cratering is going to come from. They have a really solid center group with Eichel, Hertl, Karlsson, Howden and then one of the top D groups in the Western Conference with Petro, Hanifin, Theodore, Whitecloud, McNabb, and Hague.

Sure, injuries could hit and screw them big time, but the same could be said for basically anyone else. Add in how they'll magically find a way to make Holtz look like the guy he was drafted to be and Dorofyev takes another step and Brisson takes a step and they will be right there with Edmonton in the Pacific. Plus whatever star player they are able to acquire at the TDL when someone inevitably does get injured.
They definitely have a solid collection of names, just like the Sharks did in 2019-20. We'll see what happens.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Nobody wants to talk about Nolan Burke, the center we got to replace Edstrom in our prospect pool?

Oh, he scored 15 points in 47 games in the ECHL. Never mind.
I don't even know why he was included in the trade. We need another warm body for the Barracuda?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
They definitely have a solid collection of names, just like the Sharks did in 2019-20.
That is true and a valid comparison. Guess I am just higher on their leadership group with Stone, Petro, and Karlsson than I was about really any of the leadership on the 2019-20 Sharks once Pavelski left (plus then a pair of meh locker room guys in Kane and Karlsson). That and I think they're deeper on defense than basically any Sharks team ever. Still a valid call out though in terms of range of possible outcomes.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad