Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Yaroslav Askarov (w/extension, 2yr @ $2m per), F Nolan Burke 2025 3rd for Edstrom, VGK 1st, and G Chrona

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Watching highlights he does kinda play like Nabby if he was 6’3”.

Perhaps that also puts nabby in a better position for any coaching he might be doing with Askarov
He kind of looks like MAF to me. There's a case to be made that a boom-bust goalie gives you a better chance to win the Cup than a consistently average one if the timing works out right.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
1724450965601.png

Reactions: weastern bias

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
No, but i think he ruined jones (along with shrinking pads) by having him practice saves by athleticism instead of positional saves, which was his strength.
Nabokov was also a lead goaltending scout who pushed to acquire Dubnyk, Kahkonen, and Melnichuk.

I don't think he's an NHL-level spotter of talent and he certainly shouldn't be actually coaching anyone.

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
It's funny, I've had a feeling all offseason that Ceci and Askarov would end up Sharks. Like, I'm unsettled about how confident I've felt that both guys would be Sharks.

Next time you get a feeling please let me know so I can get some money down...:D

But otherwise I think I'm OK. Edstrom was interesting but he and Bystedt felt a little samey so sacrificing one isn't the end of the world given the center depth the team has in the pool. They also had to movie a goalie as well to make room, though I question what this means now for Vanacek and Blackwood since I would expect Askarov to want to start or at least heavily platoon and you can't do that if there are two other NHL caliber goalies on the roster. There has to be another move here.

I buy Jux's point of just being prepared for the inevitable injury that's bound to happen!

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
No, but i think he ruined jones (along with shrinking pads) by having him practice saves by athleticism instead of positional saves, which was his strength.
You could be right.. but I think Jones' demise was almost purely the pad size thing as well as team construction. His biggest issue that I recall complaining about a lot was that he gave up a ton of soft goals, especially on his glove hand, and that his angles were weird. Not sure how Nabokov could have affected that.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
You could be right.. but I think Jones' demise was almost purely the pad size thing as well as team construction. His biggest issue that I recall complaining about a lot was that he gave up a ton of soft goals, especially on his glove hand, and that his angles were weird. Not sure how Nabokov could have affected that.
Jones had so many things go wrong for him at once. Pad size change, injuries, lack of confidence.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He kind of looks like MAF to me. There's a case to be made that a boom-bust goalie gives you a better chance to win the Cup than a consistently average one if the timing works out right.
Totally agree. That's why Askarov is interesting to me. At his best Askarov could be elite. He might be up and down, but his high end is super high end.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I buy Jux's point of just being prepared for the inevitable injury that's bound to happen!

I don't imagine that Vanacek or Blackwood would be thrilled to go down to the AHL though, nor can I imagine the team carrying 3 goalies on the NHL roster for at least half the season. Sure, neither Vanacek nor Blackwood has played more than a mid-40s-to-low-50s # of games in a single season and some of that is due to injury, but I would have to believe that the insurance for the inevitable injury is that Askarov steps up and runs with the opportunity instead of platooning. That would be the point in acquiring him.

They also need to fill Chrona's vacated slot. If you give the Cuda crease to Romanov he still needs a backup. That's a minor issue but it is one nonetheless.

that said, in spite of my caution I am super hyped to have Askarov on the team because the Sharks haven't had a goalie with his pedigree, prospect hype, and ceiling since the salad days of Nabby/Kipper/Toskala. This is a guy who has a legit case to be if not the #1 goalie prospect in the league, then 1a with Wallstedt and whose ceiling is being a Vezina-candidate top-shelf starter.

Plus he's a lefty (catches right) which is quirky fun and as a lefty I'm all for it.

Also look at that swarthy-ass mustache. I'll bet he has some strong opinions about your favorite bands.

6371.vresize.350.350.medium.43.png

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I still argue it was the injuries that messed up Jones. There was an article from Cat Silverman years ago about how bad Jones' lateral pushes were to begin with and with the groin injuries, they just got worse. Here's the Twitter thread with a link to the article.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Just catching up, as I was actually in SJ this morning, wearing a Sharks shirt, getting sandwiches at Bertucelli's La Villa in Willow Glen.

Wow!! Kind of gave up a lot, but I'm PUMPED to have Askarov in teal and extension already signed!

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
This is a very solid trade. I like it! It's also the first trade with a real risk for grier. If Askarov tanks, and edstrom does well, and vegas tanks and the 1st turns out great, we will all look back and scratch our heads how dumb grier is....

Well, not me. I love it! You have to judge a trade by the info at the time as all trades have risk when they involve anything other than dumping existing talent.

The sharks just traded away like their 5th or 6th (or lower) Forward prospect as Edstrom is behind celebrini, smith, musty, and likely bystedt (or even), not to mention eklund, and maybe haltunnen or chernyshov too. Basically, no real biggy there.

the 1st kinda sucks as I really want us to add a top D at the draft. Obviously, we still have out pick, so we can, but if that ends up 1st overall, it likely means having to pick another forward. Nevertheless, thats the price of admission.

Chrona and whoever that guy is are just contract swaps i figure...

This is a risk worth taking. The Sharks now have the best goalie prospect in the league, the best forward prospect in the league (2 or 3 of em), and one of the best D prospects in the league.

If this pans out, the farm is now pretty close to set for the next decade+. I like the move and I cant wait to watch him in teal this year...

Reactions: vortexy

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Good to know Askarov will report to the Cuda but do we really think he's incapable of beating out Vitek Vanecek for a NHL job?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad