Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Yaroslav Askarov (w/extension, 2yr @ $2m per), F Nolan Burke 2025 3rd for Edstrom, VGK 1st, and G Chrona

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I'm not against the trade and I'm not absolutely certain Vegas will bottom out. But there's a decent chance Pietrangelo has fallen off a cliff, Stone spends his customary 50 games on LTIR and the vaunted Hill/Samsonov tandem doesn't hold up resulting in a bottom-10 finish.
I didn't include you in that train of thought. You're correct. It could happen. But having Hanifin for a full season and even Hertl more than makes up for any potential of Petro declining.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
So....now what happens with Blackwood/Vanecek? We traded the Cuda starter so I'm assuming Askarov is cool with 1 more year in the A?
One or both will be gone at the deadline, and there's no guarantee Vanacek is healthy anyway. Blackwood is also fragile.

My guess is Askarov spends half the year with the Sharks, just maybe not all in one stretch.

Where does Nolan Burke realistically rank in our pipeline?
Roughly equivalent to Yegor Spiridonov, probably below Emil Galimov.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
One or both will be gone at the deadline, and there's no guarantee Vanacek is healthy anyway. Blackwood is also fragile.

My guess is Askarov spends half the year with the Sharks, just maybe not all in one stretch.
I agree. Askarov will compete for a spot in the big club and will be insurance in case of injuries. If he gets hot and takes a spot from the veterans, then so be it.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Here's my thought on the situation this year:

Askarov will start with the Cuda. The clear-cut starter. Blackwood and Vanecek will platoon with the Sharks... until one of them inevitably gets hurt, in which case Askarov gets called up. If Askarov is killing it in the AHL, you move a goalie at the deadline and call up Askarov. Next year, Sharks choose one of Blackwood or Vanecek to keep to platoon with Askarov. Beyond that, you hope Askarov is ready to be the full-time NHL starter.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I didn't include you in that train of thought. You're correct. It could happen. But having Hanifin for a full season and even Hertl more than makes up for any potential of Petro declining.
Yeah I expect they'll make the playoffs especially given how weak this division is but the chance age and a lack of depth finally catches up to them makes me a little nervous.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Yeah I expect they'll make the playoffs especially given how weak this division is but the chance age and a lack of depth finally catches up to them makes me a little nervous.
Honestly, it's a win-win for me. They either stink and I can celebrate that or they overachieve and the trade looks better.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
There were rumors that Demko might miss most or all of the season. Might be a place to trade Vanecek if Askarov insists on playing in the NHL.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Honestly, it's a win-win for me. They either stink and I can celebrate that or they overachieve and the trade looks better.

I think the ideal situation is they're really bad and then their like #6 pick wins the lottery and we give up our #whatever pick. I don't even care if our pick is #2, I just want to win the lottery with Vegas's pick to make them hurt.

This off-season has been an absolute reward for all of us Sharks fans who stuck it out through the debacle of the season. I'm proud we survived.

Right? the offseason has been 100x more entertaining than the entirety of the NHL season except for maybe Eklundhatnight.

Selachimorpha

Feb 18, 2015
Jesse Granger: "In Askarov I believe the Sharks are getting a potential future top-five goalie in the entire NHL. With his incredible athleticism, precise edge work and quick twitch reactions, I believe Askarov’s ceiling is Vezina-caliber. He’s quick laterally, and always seems balanced and anchored to the ice no matter how quickly the play shifts side to side. He’s a fiery competitor, which should help behind a rebuilding Sharks’ defense."

videoplayback.gif

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Here's my thought on the situation this year:

Askarov will start with the Cuda. The clear-cut starter. Blackwood and Vanecek will platoon with the Sharks... until one of them inevitably gets hurt, in which case Askarov gets called up. If Askarov is killing it in the AHL, you love a goalie at the deadline and call up Askarov. Next year, Sharks choose one of Blackwood or Vanecek to keep to platoon with Askarov. Beyond that, you hope Askarov is ready to be the full-time NHL starter.
"@Sheng_Peng: A man in a hooded cloak and a bat was seen lingering in the shadows by the goalie stalls. Trainers say his name is Byrone Slowe."

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
The value sent out in this deal is a little insane given the lack of NHL experience Askarov has, but I LOVE the upside swing of this deal

This might be the most aggressive move Grier has made yet and it also has eyes to the future, this trade has the potential to pay off incredible dividends in the future for this team

Mike is killing it this offseason, he just keeps getting better and better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad