Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Jake Walman and 2nd round pick 2024 (#53) for future considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
if GMMG is gonna respect sharks tradition, the catch is that he'll use the draft pick to move up into the top 10, get everyone all hot & bothered... and then draft a project that people have never heard of... so off the board that the prospect looks genuinely confused in their first interview asking them what went through their mind when the pick was announced
I’m ready to yell “who?!” At the top of my lungs!

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
I have to say that while I think Grier has done very well on some trades, this is the first straight up fleecing I’ve seen. Like, literally getting a top 4 defenseman and a 2nd round pick for nothing feels like a con.

RIght....

You're telling me I get a top four defender that improves us instantly on day one on a totally fair contract for the low low price of accepting a free top 60 pick?

Where do I sign lol.

llamanby

Mar 19, 2006
They're rarely even that much. To the extent that a lot of the time futures rarely even get cashed in or recognized as being part of a subsequent move.

There are a handful of instances where the futures do come around in some significant way (IIRC the deal that sent Theo Fleury from Calgary to Colorado included futures that ended up being the rights to recently drafted prospect Robyn Regher, where he was conveyed like a month after the actual original trade. If I'm not mistaken the theory was that Calgary basically got a list of prospects and was told "pick one, we'll give you some time to decide." and FCs was the way to engineer that grace period. I also believe there was some claim that Jeff Buekeboom being traded by Edmonton to the Rangers was the fulfillment of the future considerations in the Edm-NYR deal that sent Mark Messier to New York) but most of the time it's basically something of such little value that it can't be documented. Because if you were going to give them a 7th round pick or something like that you'd just do that.

I believe most recently the biggest use of futures was pre-expansion-draft trades where the future considerations dealt by Vegas/Seattle to other teams were "we promise to select/not select <insert player> in the expansion draft.

In terms of how futures mostly end up being a big fat pile of nothing of value for an NHL roster or prospect pool, most famously, the Jets 1.0 traded Kris Draper to the Red Wings for futures. Those futures quite literally ended up being $1. Other times it may be used as a stand-in for things that the teams are not legally allowed to trade each other, like there was a minor league trade where a team dealt a guy and got back appliances for their equipment room, or a WHL trade where a dude was traded for futures that ended up being a used team bus that the club receiving the player had and the trading team needed.

If the futures in this deal end up being anything of any real value I will be shocked.
Its probably something of no consequence. Detroit wants to draft Hage at 15 and asked the Sharks not to take him if he is there. In essence, a pick swap but in a round about way and nothing that is going to even be a possibility that the Sharks would do. Because we are clearly trading up for Eiserman.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I don't understand why people are coming up with these convoluted conspiracy theories about what "future considerations" means when the most basic explanation is probably the correct one: Walman is terrible and no team will take his contract for free, hence this trade.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Watching Detroit fans reacting to this, I think we got a steal of a player in Walman. Feeling like he'll become a fan favorite in no time.
Most of the reaction is due to Yzerman sending us the player and the pick with nothing coming back, rather than being upset at losing the player. I think the best description of him would be a guy who is immediately our best offensive defensemen and is probably about a Top 4 level defenseman for most teams, but more near the #4 level. There's also some unspecified speculation that there was some issue between Walman and the team which caused him to get some healthy scratches at the end of the year.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I wanted to get Zeev Buium as our Jewish defenseman but looks like we got one in Walman. Can’t wait for them to play together when Grier trades up…

Most of the reaction is due to Yzerman sending us the player and the pick with nothing coming back, rather than being upset at losing the player. I think the best description of him would be a guy who is immediately our best offensive defensemen and is probably about a Top 4 level defenseman for most teams, but more near the #4 level. There's also some unspecified speculation that there was some issue between Walman and the team which caused him to get some healthy scratches at the end of the year.

A #4 on most teams is a superstar on ours…

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
This low-key trade might actually be the best trade of the Grier era so far. If we get more of these cap-dump trades, we might be drafting Celebrini and Demidov this draft.

Reactions: Baysick

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I don't understand why people are coming up with these convoluted conspiracy theories about what "future considerations" means when the most basic explanation is probably the correct one: Walman is terrible and no team will take his contract for free, hence this trade.
All evidence I've seen supports the opposite though

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Apart from the only real piece of evidence, which is the fact this trade happened.
That trade could also be a 100% indication that Detroit is trying to clear space and a spot for a bigger fish. Rumor I'm seeing is trouba (lol), in which case this makes sense. Grier might have been the only dance partner and made them pay.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I know this trade is still fresh and all and is subject to overreaction, but some people are already calling this one of the worst trades in Detroit's franchise history.
Thats a little extreme. A second is likely to be nothing and they might use the cap space for something good. Value wise its awful but its nowhere near franchise ruining

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
That trade could also be a 100% indication that Detroit is trying to clear space and a spot for a bigger fish. Rumor I'm seeing is trouba (lol), in which case this makes sense. Grier might have been the only dance partner and made them pay.
Which means no other team wanted Walman’s contract for free. It’s still a great trade for us but Walman is a much worse player than fans of both teams are making him out to be.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020

I think the future consideration is in the draft on Friday. If Cole Eiserman is available at 14, the Sharks do not pick him and let GM STEVE YZERMAN pick Cole Eiserman instead.​

• Love

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Apart from the only real piece of evidence, which is the fact this trade happened.
20 mpg, much of it this year as part of their top pairing, with the metrics showing he hung in there (underwater this year but against the toughest competition in the league), and he was above water in '22-'23 with the same minutes played...I thought you cared about this stuff!

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
20 mpg, much of it this year as part of their top pairing, with the metrics showing he hung in there (underwater this year but against the toughest competition in the league), and he was above water in '22-'23 with the same minutes played...I thought you cared about this stuff!
So why does he have negative trade value? Every other team is run by idiots?

He doesn't hit and he doesn't play defense. Fans fall in love with this type of player but GMs know you can't win with them.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis

I think the future consideration is in the draft on Friday. If Cole Eiserman is available at 14, the Sharks do not pick him and let GM STEVE YZERMAN pick Cole Eiserman instead.​

Letting another team know who you're intended to pick is so risky though. Detroit wouldn't let San Jose know they really want Eiserman because San Jose could also be intended to draft the same guy and might move up to draft him in case Detroit trades up to leapfrog San Jose.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007

He doesn't hit and he doesn't play defense. Fans fall in love with this type of player but GMs know you can't win with them.
You're making the assumption other teams were asked

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
You're making the assumption other teams were asked
No need to ask anybody. If Yzerman thought Walman even had neutral value he could have put him on waivers and kept the 2nd.

So either Yzerman is completely incompetent or Walman has negative trade value.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

What “type” of player is that exactly? He also has trade protection which limited where he likely could go which gave Grier leverage.

He’s not an all-star, but your incessant need to be contrarian for the sake of it and say he’s one of the worst players in the league is also total BS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad