Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Jake Walman and 2nd round pick 2024 (#53) for future considerations

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
No need to ask anybody. If Yzerman thought Walman even had neutral value he could have put him on waivers and kept the 2nd.

So either Yzerman is completely incompetent or Walman has negative trade value.
The sharks literally traded for a top line center with spare parts because nobody else was asked.

Yzerman very easily could have called grier and said hey I need to clear cap space fast, take walman and a 2nd for me.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The sharks literally traded for a top line center with spare parts because nobody else was asked.

Yzerman very easily could have called grier and said hey I need to clear cap space fast, take walman and a 2nd for me.
So we're back to Yzerman being completely incompetent since no GM would do that unless they already knew the player had negative trade value.

Not to mention Yzerman went to the trouble of executing a completely different trade just to acquire the 2nd he could use as a sweetener.

You don't do that unless you've already established nobody wants the guy for free.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
So we're back to Yzerman being completely incompetent since no GM would do that unless they already knew the player had negative trade value.

Not to mention Yzerman went to the trouble of executing a completely different trade just to acquire the 2nd he could use as a sweetener.

You don't do that unless you've already established nobody wants the guy for free.
I think you underestimate the value of building relationships

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

Look at the contracts Yzerman has handed out in Detroit. He lands far more on the mediocre GM scale than he does great GM. Showing that Tampa was a lot of luck that got better after he left.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Look at the contracts Yzerman has handed out in Detroit. He lands far more on the mediocre GM scale than he does great GM. Showing that Tampa was a lot of luck that got better after he left.
Being a mediocre GM doesn't mean he's doing crazy shit like proactively acquiring a 2nd round pick then offering it to only one team as a sweetener for taking Walman.

Yzerman has signed plenty of bad contracts and Walman is certainly one of them. Soft third pairing offensemen are not a valued commodity. Good on Grier for taking advantage of the situation but this trade is perfectly reasonable on its face. No need to speculate about some side deal.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis

Walman looks like he doesn't belong on San Jose. He's too good and a little too old to be on a rebuilding team at rock bottom. It will be years before we're competitive again.

Before anyone gets too attached to Walman, Grier could very well trade Walman away for a 3rd/4th rounder. Why Detroit couldn't give him away for a low draft pick is a mystery. Perhaps Doug Wilson showed Grier the secret room filled with dirt on other GM's?

Reactions: themelkman

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Walman looks like he doesn't belong on San Jose. He's too good and a little too old to be on a rebuilding team at rock bottom. It will be years before we're competitive again.

Before anyone gets too attached to Walman, Grier could very well trade Walman away for a 3rd/4th rounder. Why Detroit couldn't give him away for a low draft pick is a mystery. Perhaps Doug Wilson showed Grier the secret room filled with dirt on other GM's?
I think if we can trade Ferraro for another 1st we could conceivably end up with three top ten picks lol.

Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Being a mediocre GM doesn't mean he's doing crazy shit like proactively acquiring a 2nd round pick then offering it to only one team as a sweetener for taking Walman.

Yzerman has signed plenty of bad contracts and Walman is certainly one of them. Soft third pairing offensemen are not a valued commodity. Good on Grier for taking advantage of the situation but this trade is perfectly reasonable on its face. No need to speculate about some side deal.
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle here.

Walman is not a bottom-pairing offensive D, he's actually more like a middle-pairing offensive D who was in over his head on the top pair but sort of held on with Seider. He's not a nobody, he's not a major somebody either, and he's not terrible. But at his current cap hit, most teams wouldn't want to make a spot for him.

The teams that have cap space and would consider this move is a shorter list, and the teams that have cap space AND see him as worthy of a roster spot for less than a 2nd round sweetener is shorter still.

The Sharks, of course, are so bad on D that he immediately becomes arguably our best D and may play with Ferraro to help us get out of the F'ing defensive zone every once in a while. Very few other teams could say this. Couple this with Yzerman apparently being desperate to open up cap space either to sign Gostisbehere and/or a big FA fish, and you have what appears on face value to be an excellent move by Grier.

It does seem karmically in balance with the Goodrow situation. But taking all four moves - the Wiesblatt trade, the Dellandrea trade, this trade, and the Goodrow pickup, I think we've added pretty well to the bottom/middle of the lineup in the last week.

We still need another "top pairing" D and at least a top 6 C/W. And even then... gonna be a gross year.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Walman is older than Forsling btw. So if you're counting on a similar career turnaround I wouldn't hold my breath.
My point isn't comparing the players.
More that you relying on what GMs do as an assessment of a player is deeply flawed.

He is a capable NHL defenceman that would have spot on most teams when you take the context out. His contract isn't even an issue - 2 years for $3.4M is great for the Sharks, for a lot of teams that it would be squeezing the cap for a need they probably don't have.

The reality is that the Wings needed to shed cap as quickly as they can - They have Raymond, Veleno, Seider as RFAs needing new contracts. They have UFAs like Gostisbehere, Kane, Perron, and Sprong that they may want to keep. Easier to move Wallman than Chiarot or Maata.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
In what way is disparaging Walman’s value and ability in a trade where we acquired him and a 2nd round pick for free a worthwhile stance to take?
Because it’s accurate?

We also have people speculating about secret handshake agreements attached to this trade when in reality the trade is entirely explained by Walman being a terrible defenseman who makes at least 3x what he’s worth.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Because it’s accurate?

We also have people speculating about secret handshake agreements attached to this trade when in reality the trade is entirely explained by Walman being a terrible defenseman who makes at least 3x what he’s worth.
Well, first of all, it’s not accurate. Various metrics available say that Walman is a capable NHL defenseman, something the Sharks are in desperate need of. His contract is also considered fair. I noticed that you conveniently glossed over when another poster asked you if you had actually watched Walman play. I know you’ll continue to dismiss the evidence supporting his ability because your only form of proof in this case is an appeal to authority.

Other posters being optimistic about Walman, and formulating conspiracy theories because of this "fleece" (your word) of a deal, is not something you need to quash and is a fool's errand when you provide no evidence to support your appeal to authority.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Well, first of all, it’s not accurate. Various metrics available say that Walman is a capable NHL defenseman, something the Sharks are in desperate need of. His contract is also considered fair. I noticed that you conveniently glossed over when another poster asked you if you had actually watched Walman play. I know you’ll continue to dismiss the evidence supporting his ability because your only form of proof in this case is an appeal to authority.

Other posters being optimistic about Walman, and formulating conspiracy theories because of this "fleece" (your word) of a deal, is not something you need to quash and is a fool's errand when you provide no evidence to support your appeal to authority.
Your own precious charts show Walman being one of the worst players in the NHL last season.

Jake Walman is a 28 year old who has had one good season in his entire career.

When you accept that statement of fact it's not a mystery why Detroit needed to attach a sweetener to move his contract.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

I don’t know why people continue to argue with this guy. He’s combative for the sake of it even when he’s clearly wrong.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I don’t know why people continue to argue with this guy. He’s combative for the sake of it even when he’s clearly wrong.
The irony of you posting this in response to a post that includes “His contract is considered fair.”

Considered fair by whom? Certainly not the teams competing in the National Hockey League or they would have acquired this guy without a sweetener attached.

People are acting like they traded us a 2nd and Mo Seider. Nobody knew who the hell Walman was 2 years ago even though he’s 28. That says it all.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Like any Jewish person, I must always check if someone is part of the tribe.

*EDIT: I don’t realize Warsofsky was Jewish! I love that. Let’s get Buium and we can be the San Jose Mensches.
+1 and now that I discovered that Luke Kunin is Jewish too, I hope MG can sign him to $2M per 3 year deal

Reactions: Jargon

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Your own precious charts show Walman being one of the worst players in the NHL last season.

Jake Walman is a 28 year old who has had one good season in his entire career.

When you accept that statement of fact it's not a mystery why Detroit needed to attach a sweetener to move his contract.
What a childish response.

They’re not my precious models, they’re a tool for evaluation.

Here are several models with differing evaluations of him as a player. I didn't find one that said he was one of the worst players in the NHL last year.

I don't need to accept your opinion as fact, or find the validity in it, because when asked, you make no effort to provide any support for it. Once again, an appeal to authority requires supporting evidence. Repeating yourself incessantly does not count as proof, and neither does sarcasm or petty insults. If you try to support your position, people will take you seriously, but you're not giving anyone a reason to.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
The irony of you posting this in response to a post that includes “His contract is considered fair.”

Considered fair by whom? Certainly not the teams competing in the National Hockey League or they would have acquired this guy without a sweetener attached.

People are acting like they traded us a 2nd and Mo Seider. Nobody knew who the hell Walman was 2 years ago even though he’s 28. That says it all.

Who gives a damn who he was two years ago. That was two years ago. The analytics say you're wrong but it’s funny that you only use that data when it supports your argument. You’d honestly get more respect on this board if you humbled yourself every once in awhile and admitted when you made a bad call. You won’t though because your insecurity and ego won’t let you. Also, the “Well NHL GMs think this..” argument is foolish. NHL GMs make mistakes everyday. It’s human nature (hint, hint).

Yeah, Goodrow is barely overpaid at 3.6M x 3 and Walman is an albatross at 3.4 x 2. Keep up with that take

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad