Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire F Ty Dellandrea from Dallas Stars for 2025 4th pick (WPG)

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
I view Dellandrea more as a RW than a C. That’s just my take though.

Regarding the other part of this discussion, I need more than a sample size with guys like Kostin and Emberson before rating them as plus acquisitions by Grier.

So far, Granlund (found money imo), Zetterlund (one season) and Sturm have been the only positive adds for me.

I’m hopeful for Mukh, Thrun, Blackwood, Kostin, and Emberson. Time will tell with them.

Duclair was fairly mid for me, decent leadership but disappointing on ice results and trade return.

Kunin’s case is well documented. And let’s not forget Lindblom, Benning, Burroughs, Kaut, Addison, Zadina, Lorentz, Hoffman, Rutta, Studnicka, Makiniemi, G. Smith, Peterson, etc.

I appreciate the buy low-post hype swings given the circumstances but I need less 4th line and 3rd pairing players at this point.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Regarding the other part of this discussion, I need more than a sample size with guys like Kostin and Emberson before rating them as plus acquisitions by Grier.

Duclair was fairly mid for me, decent leadership but disappointing on ice results and trade return.

Kunin’s case is well documented. And let’s not forget Lindblom, Benning, Burroughs, Kaut, Addison, Zadina, Lorentz, Hoffman, Rutta, Studnicka, Makiniemi, G. Smith, Peterson, etc.

I appreciate the buy low-post hype swings given the circumstances but I need less 4th line and 3rd pairing players at this point.
Kostin needs more time... Emberson was free, I think he has already been a plus addition.

Duclair was fine. Not a home run, not a detriment.

Benning I think will be a net positive if/when healthy. Burroughs, Lindblom, Kaut, Addison, Zadina, Lorentz, Hoffman haven't worked out. I think Studnicka was what we thought he would be, same as G. Smith, so those aren't negatives. Makiniemi, I dunno.

Still around a 50% hit rate. If it's not good, it's also not bad.

You are right that it's all been on the margins 3/4th liners and bottom/middle pair D. Would be good to see how he starts to build up the top of lineup, but we may have to wait a few more seasons for that process to unfold.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
I view Dellandrea more as a RW than a C. That’s just my take though.

So far, Granlund (found money imo), Zetterlund (one season) and Sturm have been the only positive adds for me.

I’m hopeful for Mukh, Thrun, Blackwood, Kostin, and Emberson. Time will tell with them.

Once again Matt Benning was a great acquisition for us. When he was healthy for us in 22-23 he was a legitimately good player and he is signed to a 1.25 contract which is a bargain for what he provided. There are valid things to criticize Grier for but signing Matt Benning is not one of them.
1718823586703.jpeg

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Once again Matt Benning was a great acquisition for us. When he was healthy for us in 22-23 he was a legitimately good player and he is signed to a 1.25 contract which is a bargain for what he provided. There are valid things to criticize Grier for but signing Matt Benning is not one of them. View attachment 884464
Alright. Add him to the positive adds list. Doesn’t do that much to change Grier current success rate for me.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
10 things to know about Stars center Ty Dellandrea, including his milestone moments

Dellandrea had some big moments for Dallas in the playoffs.

TQ5VTQWQJJE2JFW6AQWBXQTOWE.jpg.avif

Dallas Stars center Ty Dellandrea (10) celebrates his first of two goals in front of the Vegas Golden Knights bench during the third period in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Western Conference Finals in Las Vegas, May 27, 2023. The Stars won, 4-2.(Tom Fox / Staff Photographer)

By SportsDay Staff

Ty Dellandrea arrived in Dallas with a lot of promise, and this year he played a regular role for the Stars. Here are 10 things to know about the forward:

1. The basics

Position:
C

Birthday: July 21, 2000

Height: 6-1

Weight: 195 pounds

2. First-round pick

The Stars drafted Dellandrea with the 13th overall pick in the 2018 NHL draft.

Dellandrea was considered a top-level skater whose speed allowed him to separate from defenders. He had 27 goals and 59 points in 67 games in the Ontario Junior Hockey League, and was just 17 years old when the Stars drafted him.

“Whether you go one through whatever, there are expectations, right?” said Dellandrea. “I know there are expectations. There’s no doubt in my mind I’m ready to live up to them.”

The Stars’ choice of Dellandrea caused the cognoscenti to raise its collective eyebrows. The NHL’s Central Scouting had ranked him at No. 25 among North American skaters.

3. Playoff heroics

Dellandrea scored two third-period goals in Game 5 of the 2023 Western Conference finals in less than two minutes to help Dallas beat Vegas, and extend the series another game.

“I think I’ve been getting chances,” said Dellandrea, who had been hard on himself, according to teammate Jason Robertson. “So to be able to actually put one in the net tonight felt good, and to contribute to that department.”

One? How about two? And simply contribute? That proved to be an understatement.

It was somewhat of a full-circle moment for Dellandrea. The former top pick for the Stars was a healthy scratch in the first two games against Vegas. In the team’s return to the Nevada desert, he played the hero.

22-YEAR-OLD TY DELLANDREA GIVES THE STARS A TWO-GOAL LEAD!

4-2 Dallas with seven (long) minutes left in Game 5

4. Durability

Though Dellandrea played in all 82 games during the 2022-23 season, he was not a sure bet to start the year on the NHL roster. Dellandrea suffered a broken finger two weeks before the season started but was able to return for the season opener.

5. Learning from linemates

The Stars found a great combination this season when Dellandrea joined a line with Jamie Benn and Wyatt Johnston. Benn’s veteran leadership helped both youngsters thrive.

When Dellandrea and Johnston are on the ice, there’s little mistaking who they listen to.

It’s Benn.

“I think he talks enough for all three of us,” Dellandrea said. “Johnny might be on the quieter end, I might be in the middle. I think he’s like the quarterback. He directs what’s happening on the ice just through his voice all over the ice.”

“He’s obviously a huge presence on the ice,” Johnston said. “The other team, they definitely know when he’s on the ice. So I think he’s able to create space for us, and he’s also able to make plays, put the puck in the net. He can do everything.”

CRZGEXEU7VAVLL42BUFF2ZRVFQ.jpg.avif

Dallas Stars center Ty Dellandrea (10) and Wyatt Johnston (53) celebrate with Jamie Benn (14) after he scores in the second period during an NHL game against the Tampa Bay Lightning at American Airlines Center Saturday, Feb. 11, 2023, in Dallas. The goal scored by Dallas Stars left wing Jamie Benn (14) tied up the game 1-1 in the second period.(Rebecca Slezak / Staff Photographer)

6. Milestone moment shared with Jake Oettinger

Two Stars first-round picks notched important firsts of their NHL career on Jan. 28, 2021.

On the same night that Jake Oettinger notched his first NHL win in his first career start, Dellandrea scored his first NHL goal in the third period of the Stars’ 7-3 win over Detroit.

Dellandrea tapped in a Miro Heiskanen pass on the power play to give the Stars a 5-3 lead that snowballed into the final four-goal margin. After Dellandrea scored, he leapt into Heiskanen’s arms on the near boards.

“It was a lot of emotion,” Dellandrea said. “Once I saw it going in, I was pretty pumped. It was an unbelievable play by Miro. Emotions took over, and gave him a big hug. Yeah, it was special.”

7. Draft night surprise

Dellandrea did not expect to be taken so early in the draft, to the point where it was evident on his face when his name was called.

The NHL Scouting Bureau listed Dellandrea as the No. 25 skater among draft prospects from North America. Stars general manager Jim Nill said the possibility of adding a defensive-minded center influenced the Stars’ choice.

“It’s hard to find defensive centermen,” Nill said. “‘If you wanted one of them, you had to step up to get him.”

TCERDAKABVA4J46DD4CTUMPJQU.jpg.avif

Ty Dellandrea poses after being selected thirteenth overall by the Dallas Stars during the first round of the 2018 NHL Draft at American Airlines Center on June 22, 2018 in Dallas, Texas. (Bruce Bennett / Getty Images)

8. Spent time in Finland

Dellandrea was one of the few players in the organization playing games via loan to JYP in Finland’s Liiga back in 2020. He stayed in Finland to practice with JYP through the COVID-19 pandemic pause.

Dellandrea played in six games with JYP, scoring twice and assisting on another goal. It was Dellandrea’s first game action as a professional after playing four years in the OHL and appearing in five NHL exhibition games, and it came in a foreign country on a temporary basis, with wider Olympic-sized ice and the responsibility of living on his own for the first time.

“I enjoy learning and seeing different cultures, whether it’s being in Europe or different hockey environments and experiences,” Dellandrea said. “I’ve been enjoying taking it all in and learning a different game. I feel like from the outside, it’s pretty weird.

“You get thrown into a team, you don’t know anybody, everybody speaks Finnish. You know you’re only going to be here for a month or two. But I feel like with hockey players, throw them in a game or a situation and everybody just wants to win hockey games, so it’s pretty easy to get along.”

9. Showed two-way potential

Dallas received criticism for the selection of Dellandrea at the draft. He was seen as a bit off the board, but there was always reason to be optimistic about the pick. It was always going to be hard to get a full read on Dellandrea given how bad the Flint Firebirds had been during his OHL tenure, but he showed potential with the Texas Stars in 2019, during one game in particular.

One sequence in the first period showed off everything Dellandrea can bring to the table.

Dellandrea came out of a scrum in the corner with the puck before curling towards the net for a very good chance. The most intriguing aspect of this sequence was what happened after the chance. Dellandrea then streaked all the way back to his defensive zone, and ultimately almost beat his own defensemen behind the net while gliding from his own blueline to break up the coming Chicago forecheck.

This is how a modern two-way center had to play. He needed to have speed, acceleration, IQ, and at least some ability to chip in offensively. All indications were Dellandrea could do all of this.

10. Gluten-free living

Dellandrea came to the Stars with a lot of promise. But his story had another wrinkle to it: celiac disease. The Sportsnet broadcast made mention of it when he was drafted.

There is very little mention of this anywhere else, but according to Sportsnet, Dellandrea began to make life changes to help him deal with celiac disease in October. The Stars were long aware of the condition.

The symptoms are vast, but a big one is fatigue. According to the Sportsnet feed, Dellandrea changed his diet, presumably to one that is gluten-free given the nature of the disease. In the time since he made the change, he had been able to recover better and produce more on the ice.

Reactions: mogambomoroo

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This seems to have similarities to the Lane Pederson acquisition. I'm not really for or against these sorts of trades where you're moving a 3rd rounder or later for a shot at a more now fringe player since those picks don't have great odds of being anything anyway. I hope it works out for the Sharks better than that one and I also had Dellandrea as an asset in return for Burns proposals back then too. I think it's a solid risk to take.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
This seems to have similarities to the Lane Pederson acquisition. I'm not really for or against these sorts of trades where you're moving a 3rd rounder or later for a shot at a more now fringe player since those picks don't have great odds of being anything anyway. I hope it works out for the Sharks better than that one and I also had Dellandrea as an asset in return for Burns proposals back then too. I think it's a solid risk to take.
Lane Pederson was a career AHLer who played in 15 games on a bad Coyotes team when we acquired him. Dellandrea is a former first round pick who has already played in 151 career games on a very good Dallas Stars team. I don't see any similarities between besides the fact that we acquired both in exchange for a 4th round pick.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Guy is 6’1” or 6’2”, great skater, strong defensively, can play center or winger, and only turns 24 in July. Even if he only ends up a 4th liner this is still the sort of trade that makes sense for the Sharks. He may not have the scoring upside of Zadina or Hoffman or Labanc, but this is more of the style of depth-slash-reclamation project we should be taking chances on, not Filip Zadina. Who, now I think about it, is looking more and more like there isn’t room for him on this roster.

I also feel like I remember Dellandrea doing some community service when he was playing in Flint way back when. Seems like a character guy.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Lane Pederson was a career AHLer who played in 15 games on a bad Coyotes team when we acquired him. Dellandrea is a former first round pick who has already played in 151 career games on a very good Dallas Stars team. I don't see any similarities between besides the fact that we acquired both in exchange for a 4th round pick.
They were the same age when they were acquired. Those 3 points in 15 games for Pederson compared to Dellandrea's 9 in 42 last year is pretty comparable, imo. Same height, similar roles when in the NHL.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
They were the same age when they were acquired. Those 3 points in 15 games for Pederson compared to Dellandrea's 9 in 42 last year is pretty comparable, imo. Same height, similar roles when in the NHL.
Except that Dellandrea scored 28 points in the NHL the season before...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Except that Dellandrea scored 28 points in the NHL the season before...
They're not perfectly comparable but the idea of the trade is the same. Taking a chance on someone at that age that is on the fringes and seeing if they can give a positive ROI on a 4th round pick.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
They're not perfectly comparable but the idea of the trade is the same. Taking a chance on someone at that age that is on the fringes and seeing if they can give a positive ROI on a 4th round pick.
Not really. Dellandrea is already an established NHL player. There's no risk here. Pederson was an AHL player acquired solely because he lit us up in two meaningless games against the Coyotes near the end of the COVID season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not really. Dellandrea is already an established NHL player. There's no risk here. Pederson was an AHL player acquired solely because he lit us up in two meaningless games against the Coyotes near the end of the COVID season.
I don't agree that Dellandrea is an established NHL player.

Reactions: OversKy

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Think Dellandrea makes a lot of sense on the RW as I think through the lineup. Will give roster flexibility to move some of our C/RW tweeners around (Smith, Granlund, Dellandrea) as needed with Celebrini and Sturm locked in as for sure centers. If anything, this and the Goodrow deal should mean that we never have to see Eklund experimented with at center again or Kunin playing 2C.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I dont love it but it’s a thousand times better than Goodrow.

Young with some upside players are the only type we should be acquiring
Definitely don't need anyone to teach the young players how to be pros or mentor and lead the group. Don't need any of those types of players....

Reactions: Mattb124

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I really don’t need the young guys learning how to be the next Luke Kunin.

We aren’t bringing in guys like Joe Thornton here
If we could teach the young guys coming through the system how to carry themselves and play with the tenacity and energy of Luke Kunin, we'd be way better off as an organization. His limitations are nothing to do with the things that he can control like effort, energy, and care. If Kevin Labanc played with the mindset of Luke Kunin, he'd be a bonafide top 6 player in this league. It's not like Kunin is going to be leading skills lessons on how to shoot the puck or stickhandle.

Good mentors are about how to carry yourself as a professional on the ice and off the ice. Dealing with adversity, training, etc. over an 82 game season. They hold guys accountable to play hard and protect the youngsters when other teams take liberties and pick on them. You don't need those types forever, but when you're bringing in 3+ rookies to the NHL, you could stand to have ample veteran leadership to insulate those guys.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I really don’t need the young guys learning how to be the next Luke Kunin.

We aren’t bringing in guys like Joe Thornton here
You understand you still need to learn how to be a pro right? This team is already going to be so young, this off-season will be full of older guys being acquired.

Whether it be workouts, getting through long road trips (not seeing family/friends), going through the ups and downs, dealing with the media, etc. Veterans provide so much more than scoring a few points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad