Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire F Ty Dellandrea from Dallas Stars for 2025 4th pick (WPG)

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Because half the time, it probably was the situation that made them disappointing? Emberson got waived and was our best D by advanced stats, just a victim of a stacked group. Kostin wasn't getting a chance, now he is and honestly he looked promising. Zetterlund, Granlund (not exactly a prospect...) and Mukh all look like good gets. Whats-his-name from TBL, jury still out.

Yes, it turns out, he's not batting 1.000 because Addison looked really helpful before losing all that, Zadina seemed to struggle, and the other no name prospects in various transactions haven't done much. But overall I don't see the problem, in fact some benefit so far from the strategy.
I don’t see the problem either. Some do and will.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It makes me think they don't really have many great hockey guys on the (scouting?)staff. I don't understand the insistence on throwing picks in your possession away on players that other teams have wasted their picks on thinking it's just the situation that's made them disappointing. No reason otherwise. Most of these aren't terrible they're just pointless.

By the time you get to the 4th round you'd be lucky to get someone who ends up on your 4th line. Dellandrea is only 24 and with 1st round pedigree there's the chance they could unlock something if he's given more of a chance than he got in Dallas.

The Sharks are a trash fire right now. They can afford to take some swings like this because it's not like they have anything better to do with those empty lineup spots. Sometimes they work out like Emberson, or Kostin. Sometimes they don't like Zadina or Addison.

If we go back 15 years the only 4th round picks the Sharks have turned into useful NHLers are Torrey Mitchell, Alex Stalock, and Noah Gregor out of 19 picks (which includes Cagnoni, Cardwell, and Coe who the jury's still out on.)

It's not like they traded a 1st or a 2nd for him. If they picked someone in the 4th and he turned into a Dellandrea level player that would be a win. You can't constantly hold onto all your draft picks because maybe one year you'll pull Joe Pavelski out of the 7th round again like you did that one time 20 years ago. Deals like this are only a problem when a) they trade away the bulk of their picks and don't have enough ammo to restock the prospect list and/or b) they trade them for busted old players on the wrong side of the aging curve who aren't going to have any value left when the team gets good again.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
The good ones you named were all acquired via bigger deals/waivers and basically for nothing. I have no problem with that. I'm talking about the Kunin/Addison's that were horrible from the start and costs 3's and 4's. Much rather draft players and have fun following their potential development then spending the picks on known cans.

It’s a matter of preference ultimately. I think these are brilliant gambles because the assumption is that a 4th round prospect will likely never ever make the NHL whereas a kid who has played in the NHL and shown promise and was possible pushed down the lineup because of higher end talent is DEFINITELY an NHL player with a chance to shine and reach his higher end potential on a team like the Sharks (Kostin comes to mind if he keeps up).

Dellandrea could be a good 3C for us.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
By the time you get to the 4th round you'd be lucky to get someone who ends up on your 4th line. Dellandrea is only 24 and with 1st round pedigree there's the chance they could unlock something if he's given more of a chance than he got in Dallas.

The Sharks are a trash fire right now. They can afford to take some swings like this because it's not like they have anything better to do with those empty lineup spots. Sometimes they work out like Emberson, or Kostin. Sometimes they don't like Zadina.

If we go back 15 years the only 4th round picks the Sharks have turned into useful NHLers are Torrey Mitchell, Alex Stalock, and Noah Gregor out of 19 picks (which includes Cagnoni, Cardwell, and Coe who the jury's still out on.)

It's not like they traded a 1st or a 2nd for him. If they picked someone in the 4th and he turned into a Dellandrea level player that would be a win. You can't constantly hold onto all your draft picks because maybe one year you'll pull Joe Pavelski out of the 7th round again like you did that one time 20 years ago. Deals like this are only a problem when a) they trade away the bulk of their picks and don't have enough ammo to restock the prospect list and/or b) they trade them for busted old players on the wrong side of the aging curve who aren't going to have any value left when the team gets good again.
Well put.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
It makes me think they don't really have many great hockey guys on the (scouting?)staff. I don't understand the insistence on throwing picks in your possession away on players that other teams have wasted their picks on thinking it's just the situation that's made them disappointing. No reason otherwise. Most of these aren't terrible they're just pointless.
Not every trade is meant solely to make a team better. He's got a lot of playoff experience and has been around a lot of really respected vets (like Pavs). At this point the goal is to make the transition for the kids as seamless as possible.

Reactions: coooldude
Jul 10, 2010
The good ones you named were all acquired via bigger deals/waivers and basically for nothing. I have no problem with that. I'm talking about the Kunin/Addison's that were horrible from the start and costs 3's and 4's. Much rather draft players and have fun following their potential development then spending the picks on known cans.
see this is why we cant have a serious discussion about trade evaluations here. Posters here enjoy following developmental curves and projecting lineups 5 years in the future. Its like gambling, where the pros will shoot for plays they think they win on long term (giving up mid draft picks for guys who have 1st round pedigree but may have lacked opportunity), and the new players will shoot for longshot parlays that might have a huge payout but are vastly unlikely to hit. but are more fun.

The 4th is a Winnipeg one next year, likely to be in the back half of round 4. The odds of that player so much as playing NHL games is low, the odds hes an impact NHLer are what 2%? Even Kunin could likely be swapped out for a 3rd rounder right now. Addison was a 5th(?).

These are smart trades that long term produce more value than lost, even if not everyone of them works out. We shouldnt base every evaluation on "it could have been Brayden Point 2.0 taken"

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
That 4th round pick a year from now would be an absolute steal to draft a player as useful as Dellandrea. This is a better use of these late picks than throwing away lottery tickets.

This is like taking $10 from a $2 lottery ticket. You are smart to make this deal even though you are missing out hitting the jackpot.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I wonder if he's going to be paired with Smith (if Couture isn't ready) -- he's fast, he has a good shot and he's defensively reliable.

So, something like:

Eklund - Granlund - Zetterlund
Kostin/Bordeleau - Celebrini - VET FA
Kostin/Bordeleau - Dellandrea - Smith
Bailey - Sturm - Kunin

the more I look at the lineup, the more I wonder if Bordeleau is going to get traded...

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I wonder if he's going to be paired with Smith (if Couture isn't ready) -- he's fast, he has a good shot and he's defensively reliable.

So, something like:

Eklund - Granlund - Zetterlund
Kostin/Bordeleau - Celebrini - VET FA
Kostin/Bordeleau - Dellandrea - Smith
Bailey - Sturm - Kunin

the more I look at the lineup, the more I wonder if Bordeleau is going to get traded...
WHERE'S BARCLAY!?!?!

Jts4thgoal

King of the idiots
Aug 28, 2015
Outside winning the lotto on a 4th, it's a solid move for young center depth with decent upside.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
see this is why we cant have a serious discussion about trade evaluations here. Posters here enjoy following developmental curves and projecting lineups 5 years in the future. Its like gambling, where the pros will shoot for plays they think they win on long term (giving up mid draft picks for guys who have 1st round pedigree but may have lacked opportunity), and the new players will shoot for longshot parlays that might have a huge payout but are vastly unlikely to hit. but are more fun.

The 4th is a Winnipeg one next year, likely to be in the back half of round 4. The odds of that player so much as playing NHL games is low, the odds hes an impact NHLer are what 2%? Even Kunin could likely be swapped out for a 3rd rounder right now. Addison was a 5th(?).

These are smart trades that long term produce more value than lost, even if not everyone of them works out. We shouldnt base every evaluation on "it could have been Brayden Point 2.0 taken"
Yeah but that 4th round mystery pick could turn into a Ty Dellandrea!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad