Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Cody Ceci and 2025 3rd for Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
The hate for Grier in this thread isn’t because of this trade. This is a nothing trade. People just can’t seem to handle that Grier traded Hertl to Vegas for a good return. They’re gonna hate him forever even when Celebrini and Smith lift that cup for us.

People need to be more patient. We were screwed by DWs lack of valuing draft picks. The prospect pool Grier has built is going to reward us but it will take time.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Meh, don’t love it. I imagine no one else was taking him for just a 3rd but it’s possible. Figure teams were insisting on a 2nd? Maybe someone offered a slightly better player than Emberson but wanted a 2nd, and this was how we beat it.

I’d have liked to see what Emberson had for another season. Not convinced Ceci is an upgrade but it’s a decent bet. I do think he’s Ferraro and Ceci will be ‘able’ to eat 22 hard minutes a game. It won’t be pretty, but it’s better than Ferraro-Ruuta. According to 32 thoughts (around the draft), there was previous talk of Holland trading Ceci and the players asking him not to. Players suck at player evaluation, but it does show he’s either valued in the room or on the ice. We need both (and either).

Id have preferred to send Benning back, however with two years at $1.25M he could be valued by cap tight teams if he can play at a quality bottom pair level.

Benning is probably the more valuable player than Emberson- hard to say with both having injury issues.

I also like that we now have a 3rd for trade ups or to send something back for the 1st for valuable player+3rd type deals (Ferraro, Granlund, Walman). With SJ being terrible, a 1st for player+2nd may be a rise of 5-10 spots.

Hodge’s point about deadline available RHD is a good one. I’d be surprised if he got a 2nd, but I bet he’d get more than Emberson and a 3rd is viable. Should have 4-6 rentals of some interest.

Ferraro-Ceci
Walman-Benning
Thrun-Ruuta/Vlasic
Vlasic/Ruuta
(+Muk in the AHL until injuries/deadline)

That’s still league worst, but they’re all NHL caliber, and Grier has effectively upgraded every spot but Ferraro (who has a better partner) and Vlasic/Ruuta.

Just please don’t resign Ceci. The temptation may be there - aside from Theodore and Ekblad- right-sided D UFas are terrible.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Missed this last night

This is just straight up a bad trade, no reason to give up Emberson for what isn't an upgrade

Maybe the worst trade of the Grier era, very uninspiring

Reactions: Sandisfan

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Nothing burger of a trade - people are going overboard with the hyperbole that it makes Grier the worst GM ever. Keeping Ty would have been cool, but flipping a waiver claim for 2 3rds is good asset management. We will see if he makes us regret it with his play this year.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Ceci has one year left at a reasonable cap hit and will eat some minutes while returning another 3rd or 4th at the deadline to a playoff team looking for depth. I think Grier took a 2025 3rd over the 2026 2nd. My only wish was that it was Benning going instead of Ty. Not a great trade but nothing to gripe about.

CHIshark

Nov 26, 2016
Here's what we're gambling:

1. Ceci puts up better numbers than when he was with Ottawa (most comparable team to the Sharks he's played with) so we can flip him for a 2 or 3rd.
2. Emberson doesn't become an established 3rd pairing defensemen.

We win this trade if both 1,2 are true, it's a wash if 1 or 2 is false, and we lose if both are false.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
After an initial reaction and reading through the thread, it isn't as big of a deal as I took it to be at first jump

I liked Emberson, but with that weird rule about him needing to play 50 games to be an RFA at year's end keeping him was a big risk of losing him for nothing, it made sense to capitalize on him in some fashion

I maintain that Ceci is a smart add for this team, a big bodied veteran RHD with some puck moving ability, he had the Oilers only primary assist in Game 7 of the SCF on an incredibly impressive outlet pass to spring Janmark for the breakaway, he's probably gonna play PP1 for us and will help get the puck to Celebrini and Smith in stride at even strength

A 3rd is a 3rd, more draft picks please

And hopefully Ceci plays well enough to return another 3rd at the deadline, his point totals from last year aren't a gauge of his ability, the Oilers are goofy, RNH had over 100 points in 2023, but he's also not a nothing on that end, he's going to help improve next years roster

Shrewd move by Grier, as per usual

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Just like the Hertl trade, Grier gets so much hate for no reason from people who just don't understand trade values.

Emberson is nothing special. He was a waiver claim, and we just got a third for him. That alone is a win, just like trading Eyssimont a couple years back. Ceci can be flipped at the deadline for another 3rd (or whatever) while also being someone who (although getting a ton of hate) has been to the playoffs multiple times on good teams, and can play with our young guys/stop gap for another year. He's not going to win the Norris trophy, but he knows much more about being an NHL player than Ty Emberson. We're going to have a ton of rookies coming in and out of the lineup this year, we need guys who know about playing an 82 game NHL schedule, travelling around the country, eating on the road, etc. to comfort them.

It's like some people want us to just play U25 players and play even worse than last year. No...we need progress. Even if we still come 32nd in the NHL, the team needs to show compete and the potential of being good in the future. Adding Ceci does not make us a playoff team, but factoring that in with adding Walman, Toffoli, Wennberg, etc. shows that management atleast wants to improve to some extent.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I think Ceci is a pretty smart pick up for where you are at. He's not been great the last couple of seasons for what the Oilers wanted out of him, top 4 D, but he's fine defensively, a good PKer and while not doing great with them can physically handle playing big minutes. Also a very well liked veteran in the room. Think he will be a steadying presence for your young team. Count on being really frustrated with him at times though.

I know very little of Ty Emberson, for me the win for the Oil is the dumped cap and getting rid of a D who struggled when the quality of play went up, just getting a guy back who at least can be in competition for an NHL spot is good enough for me and from what I understand he's at the very least that?

I’ve barely seen Ceci play, what’s the general vibe? From what I’ve seen, he’s likely the Sharks best defenseman now (not saying much), but curious to hear from an Oilers fan.

Reactions: Star Platinum

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I think Grier's trades have been OK. I cant say he's fleeced anyone ala getting Jumbo from boston, but He did what he needed to do. He had to give burns a new home, out of respect for burns. He had to rid himself of EK's contract. He had to trade meier as 10M qualifier was a non-starter and the sharks were in no position to sign him to term. He didnt HAVE o trade hertl, but his knee injury history was getting dangerous given the term of his deal. Grier is saddled with untradable cooch and pickles, so being saddled with EK and Hertl too woulda been bad. The return in those deals was OK, but not that bad.

This trade is similarly OK. Not great, but not that bad. Woulda liked to get more, but pleased they did something and didnt let another team make a similar deal.

1. The D is better now than yesterday
2. He got a 3rd round pick
3. he got a very tradable Deadline asset.
4. Mukh and Thrun were the two youngins to watch. Emberson was really 3rd on the depth chart of rookies.

My gripe with grier is in the UFA sphere. I liked the toffoli signing but everything else has been terrible. Goodrow waiver claim was truly mysterious. Wennberg at 5m per is way overpaid. Kunin, lindbom, sturm, G smith, and others have all been blah. I think grier has done a fine job tearing it all down and building arguably the best farm in the league (coupled with a little lottery luck and pit missing the POs). Now, the question is can he build a roster around them. Toffoli is a good step to that, but building a winner is the ultimate judge of a GM. He has this year as another grace year of stinking, but he has to begin to build a winner prtty soon.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Been very staunch defender of pretty much every Grier move, but this one sucks and there isn't really any way to spin it otherwise. Even Goodrow I could understand the rationale behind even if I thought it was maybe a bit too overvalued.

Taking Ceci for just a 3rd is borderline, but can say cost of doing business and adds a real NHL D-Man to the group (similar to Rutta). Adding a younger cheaper defenseman to the deal that is probably about as good as Ceci currently is takes the deal and makes it a major failure. Had they shipped Benning instead, can probably call it a fine deal. Just had higher hopes that Emberson could be a Demers/Braun level guy on a 3rd pairing for years to come without breaking the bank.

Reactions: vortexy

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
Taking Ceci for a 3rd was fine. Trading Emberson was a problem. He is young and could be useful.
So I am presuming Emberson wanted out and GMMG obliged him.

The value of this deal depends on what GMMG gets for Ceci at the deadline. It could be a great deal for the Sharks.
Talk that maybe this builds goodwill with other GMs is silly. No professional is going to give up an asset as a favor to a rival team.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
We'll get a 2nd when we trade Ceci at the deadline.
Who do you propose is giving a 2nd for Ceci after his playoff performance (where he got scratched due to playing so poorly) when we're not retaining anything on him? If Ceci is netting a 2nd, then I suppose you'd have to believe that Rutta is magically landing us another 2nd then.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
Emberson is nothing special. He was a waiver claim, and we just got a third for him. That alone is a win, just like trading Eyssimont a couple years back. Ceci can be flipped at the deadline for another 3rd (or whatever) while also being someone who (although getting a ton of hate) has been to the playoffs multiple times on good teams, and can play with our young guys/stop gap for another year. He's not going to win the Norris trophy,

This is only because Quinn got fired. Quinn is the master at increasing trade value while tanking.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I think people are way over evaluating Emberson here. Our defense was so f-ing bad that he looked good in COMPARISON. But there’s a thousand Embersons in the NHL. Hell, Jack Thompson might be one.

What this team desperately needed is a capable vet on defense who can get the puck out of his zone and maybe not have a panic attack when the other team is on attack. Again, this is all to continue making life easier on Smith and Celebrini (and Muhk) so they’re not spending 90% of their time in their own zone.

If we flip Ceci for a 2nd or 3rd at the deadline, you’re getting two picks for a waiver pick up while also getting a year out of a well-liked vet who has played significant playoff minutes.

Much like most of Grier’s moves, it’s very reasonable and surgical.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
What I've gathered here is some of you are extremely overvaluing Ty Emberson. He's not small, but not big either. Never been an offensively talented guy, but also not physical or a shot blocker either. He's just a somewhat decent player, who we got for free, and I think gets severely overrated just because he's 24.
How does that not describe Ceci as well except he's 30 and costs vastly more money while coming from a team with their backs against the cap wall both in terms of needing to move it and move it as fast as possible.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
How does that not describe Ceci as well except he's 30 and costs vastly more money while coming from a team with their backs against the cap wall both in terms of needing to move it and move it as fast as possible.
Ceci can be moved at the deadline then for literally anything. Turning a waiver claim into 2 good assets is a huge win. Ceci has more experience than Emberson, that's vauable to young teams like us. Hence why we acquired Goodrow.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Who do you propose is giving a 2nd for Ceci after his playoff performance (where he got scratched due to playing so poorly) when we're not retaining anything on him? If Ceci is netting a 2nd, then I suppose you'd have to believe that Rutta is magically landing us another 2nd then.
Who knows but somebody probably will. Worst case we'll get a 3rd. Rutta should return a 4th or 5th since he's so much older and has less of a track record of playing top 4 minutes.

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
I’m not a Cody Ceci fan but this move isn’t really a big deal. Emberson put up decent underlying numbers last year but in a small sample size and could also never stay healthy. At least Ceci has proven he can stay healthy for a whole season. If they can flip him for more draft picks at the deadline, I’d consider this a win. Right now it’s just fine.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Once you move past the sentimental aspect of it, it’s hard to feel anything other than great about the Hertl deal. We offloaded 5/6 of a poison pill onto our biggest rivals and upgraded two 3rds into 1sts in doing so.
That one has turned out good I will agree. We never should’ve signed Hertl to that deal, so being able to get away from it was very smart even if we didn’t get a ton back

Reactions: Star Platinum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad