Speculation: Sharks 2015-2016 Roster Talk: Rumors, Roster, Proposals. Part III ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I would not condone trading youth for rentals, or short-term older players. We've not seen the ending effects of the salary cap yet. Plus, the NHL prizes are 1st and worst. The lottery was an effort to try and minimize the worst place prize, or make it little less of a prize. The Donald (Fehr) is going to have a field day for the next CBA if the league does not stop the tightening squeeze of the cap. How to do that is the dilemma. There's only two things to do that will not act against league parity competitive-wise. These are revenue sharing, and revenue growth that benefits all teams. The top richest teams are going to loathe any real revenue sharing.

Any team that consistently sustains playoff qualification but exits early all the time is in last place. Just like many so said that the TDL only produces one winner and therefore one parade, the other 15 teams are losers in the trade deal.

DW sells the future for the current but cannot get a cup, either conference or finals. With the tightening effect of the salary cap, it is unlikely that he will be able to trade for generational talent anymore. He needs to get off this merry-go around. Even Pittsburg and Chicago sucked badly to get generational talent in the draft.

I was pretty leery of the original deal too, nice as getting JVR would be. Giving up both Meier AND Mueller leaves our prospect pool entirely too bare. However, a Leafs fan suggested a solution: they add in Pitt's 1st round pick on their side. I would guess that just doing that would tip it too far in our favor, so I figured throwing in a mid-round pick (2017 3rd, probably) to even it out. I think with that change we'd probably have to do it. Then it would be:

To SJ:
JVR + Polak (50% retained, rental) + 2016 Pittsburgh 1st.

To Leafs:
Meier + Mueller + Brown (cap dump) + Torres (cap dump) + 2017 3rd

I think I definitely do that deal. Adding in JVR + Polak would, I think, vault us up to the ranks of serious contenders. Chicago's probably still better, sure, but I think we'd have a much better chance of beating them in a 7 game series if we're able to add JVR and Polak without giving up a single roster player. Honestly, I think that team might well end up being the best team we've ever sent to the playoffs, looking at it top to bottom. Sure, the top line or two from back in top prime Thornton were better, but I think we've got a way better bottom 6 now, and we sure as hell have a better D unit.

Thoughts?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The Kings drafted Kopitar 11th overall. They would be nowhere without him.

Not saying that Rantanen or Barzal will be Kopitar or even close, but you have to reach for the stars.

How many superstar forwards were drafted outside of the top-5, in recent years?

I can only think of Kopitar, Getzlaf, Perry, Benn, Parise, and Giroux. Maybe players like Tarasenko, Forsberg, Gaudreau, and Couturier can get there...

When you drill down more on the list, you'll notice that half came from one draft. That basically leaves three forward since the 2003 draft...granted, the above aforementioned players can get there, and there are players from recent drafts that haven't been given a fair shot yet, but it looks like that if you are counting on drafting a superstar forward without a lottery picks, the odds are not in your favour.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
To SJ:

To Leafs:

Thoughts?

Most TML fans balk at that deal.

2016 Pittsburgh 1st ~= Mueller
JVR > Meier
Polak at 50% retained >>> Brown (cap dump) + Torres (cap dump) + 2017 3rd

And I don't even want Polak.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
I was pretty leery of the original deal too, nice as getting JVR would be. Giving up both Meier AND Mueller leaves our prospect pool entirely too bare. However, a Leafs fan suggested a solution: they add in Pitt's 1st round pick on their side. I would guess that just doing that would tip it too far in our favor, so I figured throwing in a mid-round pick (2017 3rd, probably) to even it out. I think with that change we'd probably have to do it. Then it would be:

To SJ:

To Leafs:

I think I definitely do that deal. Adding in JVR + Polak would, I think, vault us up to the ranks of serious contenders. Chicago's probably still better, sure, but I think we'd have a much better chance of beating them in a 7 game series if we're able to add JVR and Polak without giving up a single roster player. Honestly, I think that team might well end up being the best team we've ever sent to the playoffs, looking at it top to bottom. Sure, the top line or two from back in top prime Thornton were better, but I think we've got a way better bottom 6 now, and we sure as hell have a better D unit.

Thoughts?
I would do that. I would change that 3rd to 2nd if it would be necessary. I'm not that interested about Polak but he is okay Dman add to our team if we are not going to target Russell, Hamhuis, Yandle etc. But on the other hand I don't think that Leafs would do that trade.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I would do that. I would change that 3rd to 2nd if it would be necessary. I'm not that interested about Polak but he is okay Dman add to our team if we are not going to target Russell, Hamhuis, Yandle etc. But on the other hand I don't think that Leafs would do that trade.

I think for TML to accept that deal we would need to take the Pitt 2016 1st out of the equation.

Polak (retained for 50%) for Mueller + Brown (cap dump) + Torres (cap dump) + 4th/5th round pick.

We are giving them one of our top-D prospects for a pure rental. The combination of that + our pick is going to offset the retention and cap dumps. If not, there is zero reason they retain on Polak AND accept 2 cap dumps just to make it work for us.

JVR for Meier + 2nd round pick 2017 + something small (i.e mid-level prospect or a pick in the 5th+ round)

I don't want to give up more than that. I know we made it to the playoffs this year but we are still a team that is 'refreshing'. I am fairly certain that Marleau is gone this off-season. I am not sure about Jumbo. He has certainly not lost much of a step but I honestly do not know if the repercussions from his spat with DW are still lingering in his mind. If he does not sign at the end of next season, we are going to be a team without an elite forward.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
How many superstar forwards were drafted outside of the top-5, in recent years?

I can only think of Kopitar, Getzlaf, Perry, Benn, Parise, and Giroux. Maybe players like Tarasenko, Forsberg, Gaudreau, and Couturier can get there...

When you drill down more on the list, you'll notice that half came from one draft. That basically leaves three forward since the 2003 draft...granted, the above aforementioned players can get there, and there are players from recent drafts that haven't been given a fair shot yet, but it looks like that if you are counting on drafting a superstar forward without a lottery picks, the odds are not in your favour.

I'm not suggesting that we should have drafted a superstar like Kopitar or Benn like the guys you listed. I'm only saying it's perfectly possible to get a clear-cut 1st line forward at 9th overall. Someone like Pacioretty, Tarasenko, Forsberg, Eberle, Schwartz, Little, Couture, prospects like Larkin, Ehlers, Nylander who are fair bets to be clear-cut top-liners. We're a good drafting team on the whole. We should be able to turn up some great prospects even at 9th overall if we just changed our philosophy a bit.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area

grumpy-cat-no-1.jpg

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I think for TML to accept that deal we would need to take the Pitt 2016 1st out of the equation.

Polak (retained for 50%) for Mueller + Brown (cap dump) + Torres (cap dump) + 4th/5th round pick.

We are giving them one of our top-D prospects for a pure rental. The combination of that + our pick is going to offset the retention and cap dumps. If not, there is zero reason they retain on Polak AND accept 2 cap dumps just to make it work for us.

JVR for Meier + 2nd round pick 2017 + something small (i.e mid-level prospect or a pick in the 5th+ round)

I don't want to give up more than that. I know we made it to the playoffs this year but we are still a team that is 'refreshing'. I am fairly certain that Marleau is gone this off-season. I am not sure about Jumbo. He has certainly not lost much of a step but I honestly do not know if the repercussions from his spat with DW are still lingering in his mind. If he does not sign at the end of next season, we are going to be a team without an elite forward.

I don't know that trading away both Meier and Mueller for JVR + 20 games of Polak is worth it. Getting Pitt's 1st offsets that. If they don't want to do it, I understand entirely, but I think Meier and Mueller have more value than you're giving them credit for. If they want to remove the cap dumps from our side or the retain on Polak to balance it out more, I'm OK with that too. Pretty sure we can fit it into the cap at the TDL, especially if Torres goes on LTIR if he's not included in the trade. I'd still do Mueller + Meier + 2017 3rd for JVR + Polak (no retention) + Pitt 1st, if they need more balancing out.

But there is no way I'd do the first part of your equation, of giving up Mueller for a Polak rental, that would be crazy. Mueller has way more value than that, which is why I think between him and Meier it might be enough. Also note that it was a Leafs fan that said they'd need to add that 1st in there for us to do the deal, it wasn't a Sharks fan's idea.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't know that trading away both Meier and Mueller for JVR + 20 games of Polak is worth it. Getting Pitt's 1st offsets that. If they don't want to do it, I understand entirely, but I think Meier and Mueller have more value than you're giving them credit for. If they want to remove the cap dumps from our side or the retain on Polak to balance it out more, I'm OK with that too. Pretty sure we can fit it into the cap at the TDL, especially if Torres goes on LTIR if he's not included in the trade. I'd still do Mueller + Meier + 2017 3rd for JVR + Polak (no retention) + Pitt 1st, if they need more balancing out.

But there is no way I'd do the first part of your equation, of giving up Mueller for a Polak rental, that would be crazy. Mueller has way more value than that, which is why I think between him and Meier it might be enough. Also note that it was a Leafs fan that said they'd need to add that 1st in there for us to do the deal, it wasn't a Sharks fan's idea.

Mueller has more value than Polak. Yes.

But does he have more value than Polak at 50% retained and accepting two cap-dumps in Torres and Brown. I don't think so. Do I want to give up Mueller for any trade involving Polak. Hell no. But there is zero reasons for TML to take Brown and Torres back, let alone retain 50% on Polak.

Polak by himself will fetch atleast a 3rd round pick. With how crazy GMs get at the TDL, he will most likely get a mid to high 2nd round pick. That is without retention. You need to sweeten the pot significantly for TML to accept back two cap dumps and return a player who is in demand while retaining 50%.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

A more physical JVR is basically what we can hope Meier becomes. And maybe he does. But even though I'm not really a fan of JVR (since he is horrible defensively and kinda soft), I'd make the trade. JVR is a great goalscorer and I think in a team full of amazing two-way forwards (Thornton, Pavelski, Marleau, Couture, and even guys like Hertl and Donskoi are pretty damn good defensively), I feel like we could handle JVR's defensive deficiencies better than Toronto can. JVR is the same age as Logan, so if we think Logan should be a part of the future, than so should JVR. His contract isn't up until after Thornton and Marleau's are, so we ought to be able to re-sign him. He's a bonafide top-line LW and after Marleau, we're going to need one of those.

But if you are higher on Meier than I am and think it's likely that he becomes as good as JVR, then I'd understand why you wouldn't make the trade.

Mueller has more value than Polak. Yes.

But does he have more value than Polak at 50% retained and accepting two cap-dumps in Torres and Brown. I don't think so. Do I want to give up Mueller for any trade involving Polak. Hell no. But there is zero reasons for TML to take Brown and Torres back, let alone retain 50% on Polak.

Polak by himself will fetch atleast a 3rd round pick. With how crazy GMs get at the TDL, he will most likely get a mid to high 2nd round pick. That is without retention. You need to sweeten the pot significantly for TML to accept back two cap dumps and return a player who is in demand while retaining 50%.

While neither Brown nor Torres is a positive contract, I wouldn't really call them "cap dumps", since they are both UFAs in like 20 games.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
A more physical JVR is basically what we can hope Meier becomes. And maybe he does. But even though I'm not really a fan of JVR (since he is horrible defensively and kinda soft), I'd make the trade. JVR is a great goalscorer and I think in a team full of amazing two-way forwards (Thornton, Pavelski, Marleau, Couture, and even guys like Hertl and Donskoi are pretty damn good defensively), I feel like we could handle JVR's defensive deficiencies better than Toronto can. JVR is the same age as Logan, so if we think Logan should be a part of the future, than so should JVR. His contract isn't up until after Thornton and Marleau's are, so we ought to be able to re-sign him. He's a bonafide top-line LW and after Marleau, we're going to need one of those.

But if you are higher on Meier than I am and think it's likely that he becomes as good as JVR, then I'd understand why you wouldn't make the trade.

While neither Brown nor Torres is a positive contract, I wouldn't really call them "cap dumps", since they are both UFAs in like 20 games.

I would love to get JVR, and I agree he'd be a relatively perfect acquisition for us. I have zero interest in Polak, but DW is apparently interested, so fine, keep him in there, at worst he'll be able to give our other D some rest, or be able to step up in case of injury.

Anyway, I think we're losing out on the value side of the equation in the original deal what with giving up both Meier and Mueller. I mean, I've been pretty vocal about wishing we got Rantanen over Meier, but a #9 OA pick from the previous year's draft that projects as a 1st line winger with a 2-way game, that has developed well in his post draft year has a LOT of value. Like I said as well, I think Mueller has a lot more value than most of us here give him credit for. I know I've become a lot more hesitant to trade him away after seeing Joakim Ryan's posts noting his significant improvements so far this year. We all know he has all of the physical tools necessary to be a top-pairing D. Hearing he's made strides at the mental part of the game now too ups my opinion of him and his value dramatically.

So, I think that giving up Meier + Mueller for just JVR and a Polak rental isn't really good enough, and it blows a giant hole in our prospect pool that we have no way to fill. I honestly don't think JVR + Polak + Pitt 1st for Meier + Mueller + 2017 3rd is at all unreasonable, either. Sure, I'll happily take out the retention on Polak and take out Brown/Torres if they need to in order to make the value balance. I'd even probably upgrade that 2017 3rd to a 2nd, if I had to. Hell, if we're getting Pitt's first, I'd probably be willing to part with our 2016 2nd, though if I did that I might insist on some of the retention or Brown going the other way. (I want to trade Brown if for no other reason than it means we can't possibly ever play him again, rofl)

Ultimately, I don't think I make that deal without the Pitt 1st being part of it. Just too big a hit to our prospect pipeline. We have just started to get past the time when we had like zero NHL caliber players in our prospect pool, remember? Weren't we like bottom-5 in the league, easy? I think the original deal would take us too far back to those days. Getting the 1st in the deal, especially if we can keep this year's 2nd too, lets us mitigate that loss quite a bit, and makes the deal a lot more palatable.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I would love to get JVR, and I agree he'd be a relatively perfect acquisition for us. I have zero interest in Polak, but DW is apparently interested, so fine, keep him in there, at worst he'll be able to give our other D some rest, or be able to step up in case of injury.

Anyway, I think we're losing out on the value side of the equation in the original deal what with giving up both Meier and Mueller. I mean, I've been pretty vocal about wishing we got Rantanen over Meier, but a #9 OA pick from the previous year's draft that projects as a 1st line winger with a 2-way game, that has developed well in his post draft year has a LOT of value. Like I said as well, I think Mueller has a lot more value than most of us here give him credit for. I know I've become a lot more hesitant to trade him away after seeing Joakim Ryan's posts noting his significant improvements so far this year. We all know he has all of the physical tools necessary to be a top-pairing D. Hearing he's made strides at the mental part of the game now too ups my opinion of him and his value dramatically.

So, I think that giving up Meier + Mueller for just JVR and a Polak rental isn't really good enough, and it blows a giant hole in our prospect pool that we have no way to fill. I honestly don't think JVR + Polak + Pitt 1st for Meier + Mueller + 2017 3rd is at all unreasonable, either. Sure, I'll happily take out the retention on Polak and take out Brown/Torres if they need to in order to make the value balance. I'd even probably upgrade that 2017 3rd to a 2nd, if I had to. Hell, if we're getting Pitt's first, I'd probably be willing to part with our 2016 2nd, though if I did that I might insist on some of the retention or Brown going the other way. (I want to trade Brown if for no other reason than it means we can't possibly ever play him again, rofl)

Ultimately, I don't think I make that deal without the Pitt 1st being part of it. Just too big a hit to our prospect pipeline. We have just started to get past the time when we had like zero NHL caliber players in our prospect pool, remember? Weren't we like bottom-5 in the league, easy? I think the original deal would take us too far back to those days. Getting the 1st in the deal, especially if we can keep this year's 2nd too, lets us mitigate that loss quite a bit, and makes the deal a lot more palatable.

That's a totally fair perspective. I find my own valuation of both Meier and Mueller fluctuates wildly (so you're going to have to keep that in mind for the rest of their days as prospects :laugh:). If Joakim Ryan says that Mueller has been good lately, I believe him. If Mueller has really started looking like he may end up a top-4 defenseman, than obviously I would be against this deal. I haven't seen Mueller play in a while, so I won't comment on his recent play, but when I have seen him in the AHL, he just looked bad, even when the rest of the Cuda players looks great.

Maybe I'm just unlucky. But every time I see Meier or Mueller play (and it's a decent amount), they just look awful. Meier looks uninterested at mediocre, Mueller makes bad mistakes. It has to just be that I'm unlucky, right?

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
I think people should wait and see what Timo Meier can do at the pro level before saying we should've picked someone else over him. I wouldn't trade him for JVR. From what I've seen of Timo Meier, he reminds me of a Jarome Iginla type (in terms of play style, not saying he will be him).He's physical, very good shot, good offensive instincts, and an all-around game. That's just my opinion though. Were there players I would've picked before him? Yes, but I'm happy with him and how he's doing. If I'm trading Meier and Mueller it's for a very good/elite young D or Center.

On another note Kurz "speculated" maybe Scott Hartnell as a potential deadline target. He'd actually not be a bad pickup. He has 18 goals and 19 assists this year. The bad news is that he is 33 and signed for 3 years after this one at 4.75. However if Colombus were to retain 50% I'd be interested. Would be a good net front guy finisher for the Joes. He's pretty much a better Joel Ward. What do you all think?

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
On another note Kurz "speculated" maybe Scott Hartnell as a potential deadline target. He'd actually not be a bad pickup. He has 18 goals and 19 assists this year. The bad news is that he is 33 and signed for 3 years after this one at 4.75. However if Colombus were to retain 50% I'd be interested. Would be a good net front guy finisher for the Joes. He's pretty much a better Joel Ward. What do you all think?

I would love Hartnell. I think he's be a great acquisition because he is likely seen as a cap dump, and therefore we could get him for really cheap. I think he's still a legit top-6 winger and as Kurz notes, he is a playoff type of player. He's been very underrated for years.

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
I would love Hartnell. I think he's be a great acquisition because he is likely seen as a cap dump, and therefore we could get him for really cheap. I think he's still a legit top-6 winger and as Kurz notes, he is a playoff type of player. He's been very underrated for years.

Yeah, I agree. His stats are much better than Milan Lucic, hope LA signs him:laugh:, when I was looking at the HERO Chart comparison. He's very underrated as you said and I'm still shocked he was traded for RJ Umberger of all people. If we can get him at 50% for Matt Nieto and a 2nd/3rd I'd do it. He'd fit perfect with the Joes then we can move Hertl back to C between Marleau and Ward.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Yeah, I agree. His stats are much better than Milan Lucic, hope LA signs him:laugh:, when I was looking at the HERO Chart comparison. He's very underrated as you said and I'm still shocked he was traded for RJ Umberger of all people. If we can get him at 50% for Matt Nieto and a 2nd/3rd I'd do it. He'd fit perfect with the Joes then we can move Hertl back to C between Marleau and Ward.

I don't think I'd give up on Nieto that easily. He may have relatively stone hands, but he's fast as hell, decent defensively, and more importantly, cheap. I'd rather find some other way to make that trade than by giving up Nieto.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
That's a totally fair perspective. I find my own valuation of both Meier and Mueller fluctuates wildly (so you're going to have to keep that in mind for the rest of their days as prospects :laugh:). If Joakim Ryan says that Mueller has been good lately, I believe him. If Mueller has really started looking like he may end up a top-4 defenseman, than obviously I would be against this deal. I haven't seen Mueller play in a while, so I won't comment on his recent play, but when I have seen him in the AHL, he just looked bad, even when the rest of the Cuda players looks great.

Maybe I'm just unlucky. But every time I see Meier or Mueller play (and it's a decent amount), they just look awful. Meier looks uninterested at mediocre, Mueller makes bad mistakes. It has to just be that I'm unlucky, right?

I think being unlucky may be a factor, yes. heh. I mean, I know we've both seen the posts from people who've been watching Meier lately. The occasional floating in our own zone on D isn't good, but I think it is something that can get trained out fairly easily, I expect. I mean, if we've gotten Goldobin to actually play OK in our own end, straightening Meier out should be trivial. ;)

I think when thinking about these, we need to consider the organization's opinions on their value too. We know they love Meier and are still very high on Mueller as well. I think they realized they set back Mueller's development by trying to rush him to the NHL last year, and are now taking it slow with him. If we were dealing with Mueller's value at the start of the year, I'd probably do the trade. As it is now, where he's shown steady improvement and is handling the #1D role for the Cuda, I think he's upped his value enough that I wouldn't do it without that 1st.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I'd really like Hartnell. He'd be a great add that would come cheap due to contract. Just don't give up a player that helps us now like Nieto. He could probably be had cheaper.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Another thing is that Hartnell is basically Marleau at this point. If we were to trade Marleau, picking up Hartnell would be a great followup. Getting value for Marleau and then grabbing Hartnell for cheap would be very shrewd asset management.

I think being unlucky may be a factor, yes. heh. I mean, I know we've both seen the posts from people who've been watching Meier lately. The occasional floating in our own zone on D isn't good, but I think it is something that can get trained out fairly easily, I expect. I mean, if we've gotten Goldobin to actually play OK in our own end, straightening Meier out should be trivial. ;)

I think when thinking about these, we need to consider the organization's opinions on their value too. We know they love Meier and are still very high on Mueller as well. I think they realized they set back Mueller's development by trying to rush him to the NHL last year, and are now taking it slow with him. If we were dealing with Mueller's value at the start of the year, I'd probably do the trade. As it is now, where he's shown steady improvement and is handling the #1D role for the Cuda, I think he's upped his value enough that I wouldn't do it without that 1st.

Meier doesn't float in the D zone any more than he floats in the other zones. I don't mean floating as in not putting in effort defensively. I mean he's not putting in effort offensively either. When I see him, at least.

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
I'd really like Hartnell. He'd be a great add that would come cheap due to contract. Just don't give up a player that helps us now like Nieto. He could probably be had cheaper.
It doesn't have to be Nieto. It could be a Goodrow/Chartier/Sadowy/Labanc instead.
Another thing is that Hartnell is basically Marleau at this point. If we were to trade Marleau, picking up Hartnell would be a great followup. Getting value for Marleau and then grabbing Hartnell for cheap would be very shrewd asset management.

That would be smart as well but who knows if DW is that shrewd.

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)

I actually like this idea more and more. If we could get Hartnell and keep Marleau this season, that's basically us ready for a cup run. If we have to trade Marleau in the off-season, it wouldn't hurt as much. If people are nervous trading Nieto for Hartnell, I'd even see if Karlsson could get it done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium