Shanahan's Plan to Restore Respectability

Is Toronto's reputation across the NHL better or worse than it was before Shanahan was hired?

• Better

Votes: 76 49.0%
  • Worse

Votes: 79 51.0%

• Total voters

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I also want to know from everyone what defines respect? NHLPA? Other GMs? Outside media? Outside fan base? Internal media or fan base? Etc

Leafs will need to win infinity cups in a row to ever get all of the above

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
I think it's worse now.

They over achieved back in the days of Tyler Bozak as their 1C. Kessel and company provided us with some entertainment, but nobody considered them to be a contender. And, quite certainly, nobody pretended they were a contender.

Fast forward to today's Leafs and it's just the opposite. We were promised results via the Shanaplan, we paid through the nose to get the best coach, Lou came in and controlled the media- who were actually positive for two seasons, and we were gifted our franchise saviour in Auston Matthews.

The media kept reminding us how "this time it's different". We were actually building with youth, from within our own organization. We were chock full of promising young stars and potential. We even accepted the promised "5 years of pain" because we'd been convinced it would lead to great things. We all bought into the process because we were tired of bandaid solutions and we all wanted to build a true contender.

Then, out of the blue, Shanahan handed the keys to Dubas. He blew $11 million on a centre we didn't need and signed players to ridiculous, undeserved, and unmanageable contracts. He put us in such a terrible cap situation that he returned to bandaid solutions in his quest to find players who could actually perform in the playoffs, all whilst trading away all of our future draft picks and prospects. All of this in exchange for winning only one playoff series during his 5 year run. He may be fine now, but the damage he did still affects the team today.

Shanahan making Dubas the GM was the beginning of the end- it's been quite embarrassing since then. I have no idea how Shanahan hasn't been fired.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Which is worse - a team of mediocre players that overachieves or a team with some excellent players that underachieves?

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
1728262489437.png

He's time here was a clown show.

Thankfully it is almost over.

Reactions: Gilmour1996

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
View attachment 913033

He's time here was a clown show.

Thankfully it is almost over.
In a city that LOVES their scapegoats, I'm genuinely surprised that it took this long for the popular narrative to turn against Shanahan. Feels far too late in the process - he really should have had so much more heat on him.

Perhaps because he's barely visible, most simply ignored his role in this disaster?

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
In a city that LOVES their scapegoats, I'm genuinely surprised that it took this long for the popular narrative to turn against Shanahan. Feels far too late in the process - he really should have had so much more heat on him.

Perhaps because he's barely visible, most simply ignored his role in this disaster?

It is because the organization cares about money and little else (including stanley cups). The money continues to roll in. Their main concern is they appear as if they care about winning, not actually winning. Big business in Toronto "treats" their employees with a few tickets here and there and people lap it up. Normal fans can't afford to hold season tickets.

He kisses that asses of the board and they keep him because they don't want to feel bad for firing him. I sit on a small board. If the board sucks and they usually do, then their products suck.

MLSE has a Loser power hierarchy, in loser league, in which we are a Loser org. Professional hockey as done by the NHL sucks. The system only benefits owners (90%) and players (10%). Fans get shafted.

Now that Rogers flat out owns the Leafs, expect worse a more dysfunctional board, worsening upper management and worse on ice results.

The thing that grinds me is that hockey is the league that would "tolerate" a softer cap better than any professional sports league (maybe other than baseball). And yet this hard cap is designed to protect the league and screw teams with huge fan bases.

I might start watching the Swedish Hockey League. Is it any good ? Anyone ?

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It is because the organization cares about money and little else (including stanley cups). The money continues to roll in. Their main concern is they appear as if they care about winning, not actually winning. Big business in Toronto "treats" their employees with a few tickets here and there and people lap it up. Normal fans can't afford to hold season tickets.

He kisses that asses of the board and they keep him because they don't want to feel bad for firing him. I sit on a small board. If the board sucks and they usually do, then their products suck.

MLSE has a Loser power hierarchy, in loser league, in which we are a Loser org. Professional hockey as done by the NHL sucks. The system only benefits owners (90%) and players (10%). Fans get shafted.

Now that Rogers flat out owns the Leafs, expect worse a more dysfunctional board, worsening upper management and worse on ice results.

The thing that grinds me is that hockey is the league that would "tolerate" a softer cap better than any professional sports league (maybe other than baseball). And yet this hard cap is designed to protect the league and screw teams with huge fan bases.

I might start watching the Swedish Hockey League. Is it any good ? Anyone ?
Are you replying to the right person?

None of this comes remotely close to explaining why the public narrative has turned against
Shanahan until recently, and even then it's been tame.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012

The barely visible helps.

The public tide turned from him when it was clear he didn't care and spent most of his time in New York.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad