Shanahan's Plan to Restore Respectability

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Is Toronto's reputation across the NHL better or worse than it was before Shanahan was hired?

• Better

Votes: 73 48.0%
  • Worse

Votes: 79 52.0%

• Total voters

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You got there in the end :)
And I'm guessing, nobody!
my dad used to say I don't care what you do with your life, just give it your all, I'm guessing he'd be proud of me...............

• Haha
Reactions: Tak7

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

Before Shanahan, the Leafs were the laughing stock of the league.

A decade later, real contenders are openly mocking our losses and don't take us seriously.

Those who voted that the Leafs reputation has gotten "better" with Shanahan, need to have a conversation or 3 with their doctors.
It's far worse than that. If Oilers win the cup, another Cdn team won't win for decades. The Leafs are the laughing stock now. Wait till they overpay Bert and say we have no money for a defense and they still have no goalie. If Oilers win a lot of Leaf fans will turn off.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It's far worse than that. If Oilers win the cup, another Cdn team won't win for decades. The Leafs are the laughing stock now. Wait till they overpay Bert and say we have no money for a defense and they still have no goalie. If Oilers win a lot of Leaf fans will turn off.
For good reason - the Oilers are basically doing what the Leafs have been trying for half a decade; get enough high end skill at the top of your lineup, and ducktape the rest of our lineup, and hope the stars can just drag you kicking and scratching to the promised land.

My genuine fear is that the Leafs look at the Oilers, see how much McDavid, Drai, and Bouchard have dragged them through this playoffs, and think "hey it can be done"

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
For good reason - the Oilers are basically doing what the Leafs have been trying for half a decade; get enough high end skill at the top of your lineup, and ducktape the rest of our lineup, and hope the stars can just drag you kicking and scratching to the promised land.

My genuine fear is that the Leafs look at the Oilers, see how much McDavid, Drai, and Bouchard have dragged them through this playoffs, and think "hey it can be done"
Oilers did have a pretty easy path through the West. Dallas is still the better Team, they just ran out of gas playing better opponents.

Reactions: Tak7

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Oilers did have a pretty easy path through the West. Dallas is still the better Team, they just ran out of gas playing better opponents.
Agreed, but until this front office proves they can pick up on that nuance, I'm not going to give them any benefit of the doubt.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Dubas was a trailblazer ahead of his time. He thought he could win with small, skilled players. What a waste of 5 f***ing years. I could see it 100 miles away when Shanny handing that clown the keys.

If Shanny wants to restore respectability, he should have fallen on his sword.

Shanahan still has a year on his deal. They won't pay him to do nothing even though it's the right move. He will be gone next year with his role being merged with Treliving's to save money. He is the next Dubas. Fired 5 years after his expiry date because MLSE is a fraudulent organization. Only then will we hear criticism of him in the Toughest Market in the League™.

Reactions: ToneDog

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Careful what you wish for cause you just might get it.

I was hoping for years they'd can Dubas. Never expected them to replace him with an even bigger failure though. Normally when a poor performing manager is fired the company doesn’t regret it because HR gives them a worse replacement.

They simply fire that one too AND the person who hired him.

Treliving's incompetence is a reflection of Shanahan’s failings. The fact either of them are still around is because there's no accountability. It's a microcosm of the real world in general that way.

Where stupid people somehow stumble into positions of power.

Yet manage to stay in power due to nepotism and apathy. Cleaning out the front office should be top priority if they want to contend. Which they won't do because they're happy with a reputation of being a mediocre hockey team.

To the mediocre mediocrity is happiness because mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

I was hoping for years they'd can Dubas. Never expected them to replace him with an even bigger failure though. Normally when a poor performing manager is fired the company doesn’t regret it because HR gives them a worse replacement.

Treliving's incompetence is a reflection of Shanahan’s failings. The fact either of them are still around is because there's no accountability. It's a microcosm of the real world in general that way.

Yet manage to stay in power due to nepotism and apathy. Cleaning out the front office should be top priority if they want to contend. Which they won't do because they're happy with a reputation of being a mediocre hockey team.

To the mediocre mediocrity is happiness because mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself.
As of today I can’t say Tre is as bad as Boy Wonder was, having said that he’s disappointed thus far and I have little confidence he’s little more than Shanahan’s puppet. Pelley is another mgmt shill who says it’s not about jersey sales, but it appears that’s exactly what it’s about. This organization will never get it’s shit together before I’m dead and gone, of this I have no doubt……..

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

What is the evidence of Treliving's incompetence? You state it as a fact and then say it is Shanny's fault. Can we back up and discuss what makes his performance as Toronto GM "incompetent'?

I am not a Treliving supporter and didn't like the hire, but I have a hard time saying that he has done a poor job, I think he has actually done a good job.

I consider last off-season the season where Shanahan was in charge. He fired Dubas, hired Treliving so late that he couldn't even work the draft (formally) and he couldn't make a move on Keefe. Shanny also made it clear that the core four were not going anywhere.

Tre managed FA pretty well last year and we didn't get stuck with any long term problem contracts. Reaves and Kampf are too much and too long, but neither is crippling and both could probably disappear pretty easily. Klingberg and Sammy were one year deals, as were Domi, Bertuzzi and Benoit. He also was able to get Keefe extended so he wasn't a "lame duck" and then able to move on to Berube at no cost to the organization. He kept all prospects and high picks and even got us a second rounder next year.

Yes, be extended Mathews and Nylander. Were we going to let either of them walk? The deals are a tad high and will considered fair or low in a few years with the rising cap.

As for this off-season; new coach(was) including on the PP, new captain, new G tandem, new D pairings and two top four additions, no extensions for Marner or Tavares, no giving in to Robertson, a reasonable bet of an extension for Woll, and room for young players to grow and prospects to break in.

What about this makes him incompetent?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What is the evidence of Treliving's incompetence? You state it as a fact and then say it is Shanny's fault. Can we back up and discuss what makes his performance as Toronto GM "incompetent'?

I am not a Treliving supporter and didn't like the hire, but I have a hard time saying that he has done a poor job, I think he has actually done a good job.

I consider last off-season the season where Shanahan was in charge. He fired Dubas, hired Treliving so late that he couldn't even work the draft (formally) and he couldn't make a move on Keefe. Shanny also made it clear that the core four were not going anywhere.

Tre managed FA pretty well last year and we didn't get stuck with any long term problem contracts. Reaves and Kampf are too much and too long, but neither is crippling and both could probably disappear pretty easily. Klingberg and Sammy were one year deals, as were Domi, Bertuzzi and Benoit. He also was able to get Keefe extended so he wasn't a "lame duck" and then able to move on to Berube at no cost to the organization. He kept all prospects and high picks and even got us a second rounder next year.

Yes, be extended Mathews and Nylander. Were we going to let either of them walk? The deals are a tad high and will considered fair or low in a few years with the rising cap.

As for this off-season; new coach(was) including on the PP, new captain, new G tandem, new D pairings and two top four additions, no extensions for Marner or Tavares, no giving in to Robertson, a reasonable bet of an extension for Woll, and room for young players to grow and prospects to break in.

What about this makes him incompetent?
He’s tried things, but…….Four forwards make 53% of the cap. Not four great, game changing, superstars, leader forwards either, but rather four guys that need Domi, Knies, Woll, and likely Cowan to lead them.

Reactions: rumman

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He’s tried things, but…….Four forwards make 53% of the cap. Not four great, game changing, superstars, leader forwards either, but rather four guys that need Domi, Knies, Woll, and likely Cowan to lead them.
That's a problem, but largely Dubas' fault.

If the situation is still the same after next summer, we can lay more of the blame on Tre.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If there blame it’s on the current GM not the guy that’s been gone for 18 months.
You don't think the GM who signed players to immovable contracts that don't expire until next year is responsible for their still being here?

If you have four similar players taking too much cap space, what is the logical solution? I would say keep the two best and got rid of the other two as soon as possible.

Tre kept the two best (yes, overpaying somewhat), and hopefully he will get rid of the other two (in JT's case, at least free up most of the cap) as soon as possible, which is next summer.

I don't mind blaming someone for something they should do but didn't, but not for something they couldn't do.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Again, how is this on Treliving exactly? That was my question. Shanny said none of the core four were moving last year and then he signed Tre.

Was Tre supposed to let Matthews and Nylander walk for nothing? That's what he was staring down.

He has not re-signed Marner or Tavares.

What exactly are you pinning on him? Why is the 53% in him?

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
MLSE will be happy if we make playoffs. They don’t really care what happens after. Heck there’s lotsa of fans here who don’t care about post season. It is what it is sadly.

LeafsNet

Sep 1, 2024
Waterloo

Before Shanahan, the Leafs were the laughing stock of the league.

A decade later, real contenders are openly mocking our losses and don't take us seriously.

Those who voted that the Leafs reputation has gotten "better" with Shanahan, need to have a conversation or 3 with their doctors.

A few things:

This isn’t mocking, this is a pest trying to win over a section of the NHL fandom who have an unhealthy obsession with despising the Leafs.

Before Shanahan, the Leafs only made the playoffs ONCE between 2005 to 2016. If you were a member of HFboards back then (or a lurker), you would know how NHL Talk would regularly poke fun at Leafs fans claiming “the Leafs haven’t made the playoffs in X years” or “make the playoffs first then talk”.

Since 2017, they have made the playoffs every year and have always finished above 3rd in the division, earning +100 points each since (except during the lockout). Now what do they say? “Oh get past the first round”.

When they got past the first round last year, it was “oh you only won a game”.

The Leafs could eventually win a cup, and they’ll start saying “oh but that’s just one cup in 60 years”.

The point is, Leafs fans shouldn’t pay too much attention to what the “reputation” of the team is.

Genuine hockey fans would love to see the Leafs finally win.
But there’s a large swath out here who are genuinely invested in watching the Leafs lose…to the point where their mental health comes into question.

And I’m not joking either….

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
A few things:

This isn’t mocking, this is a pest trying to win over a section of the NHL fandom who have an unhealthy obsession with despising the Leafs.

Before Shanahan, the Leafs only made the playoffs ONCE between 2005 to 2016. If you were a member of HFboards back then (or a lurker), you would know how NHL Talk would regularly poke fun at Leafs fans claiming “the Leafs haven’t made the playoffs in X years” or “make the playoffs first then talk”.

Since 2017, they have made the playoffs every year and have always finished above 3rd in the division, earning +100 points each since (except during the lockout). Now what do they say? “Oh get past the first round”.

When they got past the first round last year, it was “oh you only won a game”.

The Leafs could eventually win a cup, and they’ll start saying “oh but that’s just one cup in 60 years”.

The point is, Leafs fans shouldn’t pay too much attention to what the “reputation” of the team is.

Genuine hockey fans would love to see the Leafs finally win.
But there’s a large swath out here who are genuinely invested in watching the Leafs lose…to the point where their mental health comes into question.

And I’m not joking either….
The fans who want change ARE the genuine Leafs fans. 7 years of 1st rnd exits, one 2nd rnd exit where they were destroyed.

Mental health.... well..its likely the "fans" who dont want change who have the mental health issues:
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
That's a problem, but largely Dubas' fault.

If the situation is still the same after next summer, we can lay more of the blame on Tre.
And who hired Dubas? That’s who’s truly accountable, it doesn’t bode well, he also hired Tre and I’m not impressed with him thus far, I had hope, but as usual with the Leafs it was false hope. As for not moving on from players with NMC’s, he hasn’t even tried to do shit and will no doubt resign him mid season to a overblown contract much like he did with Styles………

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad