GDT: SF - SWE vs CZE May 25, 2024

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Did you see tons of anti-Canadian rants from Czech fans on this board this year?

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding on the part of many Canadians: they don’t seem to understand that many European fans react to what they perceive as poor behaviour from Canadian teams when they are losing or even after the end of the third period. Lots of very dirty and unnecessary violence because they can’t take that things are not going their way, like 4 or 5 Canadians hanging up on Vujtek and all beating him up at the same time because they were losing many years ago. People reacted to that behaviour, not the fact that the team was Canada. And over the years, this was a behavioral pattern that only Canada displayed, hence our reactions (at least Czech fans, I cannot speak for other European fan bases). This year Canada has shown none of that and they were received very, very well by the Czech crowd and in articles by the Czech press. It’s really as simple as that. But Canadians don’t seem to understand this explanation and seem to think there is nothing wrong with behaving like violent thugs when they are losing. Which is fine, different perspectives. Canadians complain about European diving sometimes and many European fans probably don’t agree with that, either. I have no issue with these different perspectives but it does bother ne a bit that many Canadians seem to think Czech reactions are somehow biased against Canada for no reason, rather than being reactions to specific behaviour. There is zero I’ll will towards Canadians back home, including the Canadian hockey team if they are a model of sportsmanlike conduct as they have been at this tournament.
Points taken but it's no secret that fans root against Canada.............that's what happens when you are the standard, and Canada is the standard.

We all know that.

It's not a behaviour thing.................if any other team was the standard they would be hated too.

That's sports, Plain and simple.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Points taken but it's no secret that fans root against Canada.............that's what happens when you are the standard, and Canada is the standard.

We all know that.

It's not a behaviour thing.................if any other team was the standard they would be hated too.

Well, not so much the standard but always the favourite no matter what.

Most people like to root for an underdog.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Oh, in international hockey about everyone and their third cousin hates Canada - before these latest events I would even support Russia against them, and Sweden easily. It's a soul crushing machine of hockey... :(
That’s the difference. I would always support any team playing against Russia. I would not necessarily support teams against Canada, unless they are underdogs and it’s cool to see the underdogs win. I supported Austria against Canada. But I would also have supported Austria against teams like Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, etc.

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
I’m usually a very pro NA guy, but european fan culture in sports blows North american fan culture to pieces. I mean you can spend like 20 $ on a game between Hammarby - Djurgården and get a world class fan experience in one of the worst football leauges in Europe.
Weirdly enough I have been hearing more than a few football enthusiasts claiming that Sweden is the absolute best to enjoy a football match live.
One of them is the British journalist that wrote "when Friday comes" and "1312 among the ultras", two absolut gems of books for someone that is interested in a very close look to the history and culture of football organized supporters

Reactions: EK47

Saablic

Feb 8, 2017
Czech Republic
Well, not so much the standard but always the favourite no matter what.

Most people like to root for an underdog.
They all know Canadians behaviour from the past, when they were losing against Czech team. Remember attack on Vujtek from 97 WC (one from many examples)? That was a cowards behaviour, several Canadians attacked him. Canadians just can´t stand when they are losing, period.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They all know Canadians behaviour from the past, when they were losing against Czech team. Remember attack on Vujtek from 97 WC (one from many examples)? That was a cowards behaviour, several Canadians attacked him. Canadians just can´t stand when they are losing, period.

That was almost 30 years ago.

Do you remember this?

We don’t hold grudges the same way I guess.

Reactions: EK47

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006

We all know that.

That’s all true, we are talking about two different things here. One is a sporting rivalry, Canada is the gold standard so fans support the team that is not favored, and wins against Canada are more valuable because Canada is the best, so it means more to me if we beat Canada than other teams. But that is still quite a friendly rivalry on the basis of sport only.

I may have misread your post - when you talked about “public enemy number 1”, it sounded like you were referring to properly negative attitudes towards Canada. And that simply does not apply in the case of Czech fans, unless they are reacting to a specific Canadian team’s conduct.

I think Czech fans should want a final against Canada, although this Swiss team is also very, very strong. It may mean that we are less likely to win - Canada’s mental strength might be a factor in the final - but winning against the best would give the gold medal some extra shine. And losing would not be an embarrassment, given that the opponent is Canada.

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
That’s all true, we are talking about two different things here. One is a sporting rivalry, Canada is the gold standard so fans support the team that is not favored, and wins against Canada are more valuable because Canada is the best, so it means more to me if we beat Canada than other teams. But that is still quite a friendly rivalry on the basis of sport only.

I may have misread your post - when you talked about “public enemy number 1”, it sounded like you were referring to properly negative attitudes towards Canada. And that simply does not apply in the case of Czech fans, unless they are reacting to a specific Canadian team’s conduct.

I think Czech fans should want a final against Canada, although this Swiss team is also very, very strong. It may mean that we are less likely to win - Canada’s mental strength might be a factor in the final - but winning against the best would give the gold medal some extra shine. And losing would not be an embarrassment, given that the opponent is Canada.
No, I meant strictly hockey speaking.:)

EK47

Jukka Jalonen should be in all the hall of fames.
Feb 7, 2013
Weirdly enough I have been hearing more than a few football enthusiasts claiming that Sweden is the absolute best to enjoy a football match live.
One of them is the British journalist that wrote "when Friday comes" and "1312 among the ultras", two absolut gems of books for someone that is interested in a very close look to the history and culture of football organized supporters
Yeah all the Stockholm fanbases are pure f***ing quality(Djurgården in hockey too unfortunately they’re not in the tio division) Malmö to some extent. Gothenburg isn’t at the same level.

Saablic

Feb 8, 2017
Czech Republic

Do you remember this?

We don’t hold grudges the same way I guess.
It does not matter, this is the question of innate behaviour and mentality. Btw: poor try from JWHC. Edit: Ok guys, I do not want to start any flames here, I believe Canadians changed as their hockey changed. Before, from 1996 and Nagano times, their hockey was mainly about strength and European teams were playing technical and "smart" kind of hockey and I think Canadians learned it and improved it, I really hope, there will be no such situation as was this mentioned attack on Vujtek and similar situations in the future. Peace.

Reactions: NyQuil

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
We are vengeful people when it comes to hockey.

I started watching in 2004, but I’d lie if I said I don’t keep grudges of my dead father and grandfathers.

And by Hlinka’s grave we will remember every Russian who disrespected non-gold medals.

dryz

Feb 10, 2011
Czechia
It doesn't happen anymore because we have been unable to defeat Canada in the past 15 years:DBut yeah, growing up Canada gooning it up was something you could count on when they were losing.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It does not matter, this is the question of innate behaviour and mentality. Btw: poor try from JWHC.

Innate? LOL, ok.

*2 Czechs suspended in the same game*

“Doesn’t matter.”

*Canadian guys go after a guy in 1997.*

“It’s an innate part of their nationality and culture.”

Reactions: HuGo Sham

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Innate? LOL, ok.

*2 Czechs suspended in the same game*

“Doesn’t matter.”

“Canadian guys go after a guy in 1997.”

“It’s an innate part of their nationality and culture.”
That was actually what pissed us off too back then. CAN instigated bevause, yet we were the ones who came up couple players short.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
That’s the difference. I would always support any team playing against Russia. I would not necessarily support teams against Canada, unless they are underdogs and it’s cool to see the underdogs win. I supported Austria against Canada. But I would also have supported Austria against teams like Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, etc.
Well, they are so arrogant and they mostly do win... I would support about anyone against them. But not Russia or Belarus any longer. Outside hockey they are the nicest of nations, but in hockey a bullying superpower.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I see we are showing Junior games to prove Czechs are goons.lol 2 guys that will never see the light of day in the NHL and maybe not even in the NT for the Czechs.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I see we are showing Junior games to prove Czechs are goons.lol 2 guys that will never see the light of day in the NHL and maybe not even in the NT for the Czechs.

Why does that matter?

They are Czech hockey players representing their country.

There’s a double standard when it comes to how bad behaviour is interpreted at hockey tournaments.

However, I’m not going to contend that kicking other players is an innate part of Czech hockey culture.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
In terms of the nations at Worlds I got clear order who to cheer for.

SVK (kinda weak, but HM)

LAT

….
FIN

SWE

SUI (I hate them in hockey, but generally cheer for them against those mentined below.)
USA

CAN

NOR (they don’t get enough hate in my opinion)

6 kilometers below them is BLR

Somewhere in burning depths of hell - RUS

Reactions: Old Man Jags

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad