Proposal: Severson to Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ledge And Dairy

If he's that good the Devils are better off keeping him.

Also "being the best available" doesn't make you a good player. Even then, he's not the best top 4RD out there. The guys trash defensively, zero interest, please stop trying to push him on us. Nobody here wants him.
He's literally not though, you are just notorious for horrible opinions.

Tell me, who is the better RD option "out there"

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
He's literally not though, you are just notorious for horrible opinions.

Tell me, who is the better RD option "out there"

He literally is though. I'd much rather have Klingberg or Chiarot over him.

Also once again, even if he was the "best RD option" that still doesn't mean he's good. You can be the best of a bunch of bad players, doesn't mean you're good.

Ledge And Dairy

He literally is though. I'd much rather have Klingberg or Chiarot over him.

Also once again, even if he was the "best RD option" that still doesn't mean he's good. You can be the best of a bunch of bad players, doesn't mean you're good.
Here are 3 images of 3 players 5v5 stats from this year, tell me which one you like the most
7VrF373.png

IyMDlXi.png

3QESSHb.png

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Awful. Holy shit. Liljegren is already a solid NHL dman and he is getting better the more games he gets. He looks to be developing in the Stralman mold, and as a Leaf fan I do NOT want to move a guy who will be a top 4 dman for years who plays a solid quiet two way game and is physical and watch other teams enjoy the fruits of our labor again.

Nick Robertson, ok I get you need to give to get. I think that being in a win now window and being spoiled with our firepower, getting a solid dman for him as the base might make sense. I am not thinking Severson is that dman to go all in on. For one, we need a shutdown D who are physical. Severson won't get PP time here or will bump off Sandin and ruin his development and get 2nd PP minutes. He's certainly not going to make the Leafs tougher to play against. We've been down this path already with Barrie. We do not need more offensive dmen.

Our first, see Robertson post.

Reactions: Ciao

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
To Toronto:
Damon Severson @50% retained salary
2022 3rd round pick

To NJ:
Nick Robertson
Timothy Liljegren
2022 1st round pick

WOW I thought only Leafs fans came up with horrible trade proposals. :laugh:

I wouldn't trade Liljegren for Severson straight up let alone give up a 1st and Robertson on top. I don't get the hype when he looks more and more like a Gardiner clone. A guy with some offensive ability, questionable defensive ability and makes random boneheaded plays every so often.

Ledge And Dairy

WOW I thought only Leafs fans came up with horrible trade proposals. :laugh:

I wouldn't trade Liljegren for Severson straight up let alone give up a 1st and Robertson on top. I don't get the hype when he looks more and more like a Gardiner clone. A guy with some offensive ability, questionable defensive ability and makes random boneheaded plays every so often.
Probably because thats a very inaccurate description of him. He's definitely one of the better shutdown defense in the league but not particularly strong offensively

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
QxAEPJl.png

We just going to pretend Severson isn't 5th league-wide in in Defensive WAR? Ok Leafs fans, gotta love 2 game sample sizes :biglaugh:
To be fair he is also paired with the guy at the top of that list. IMO Severson is much improved from past seasons and is more than worth his contract. At 50% he should have great value for a contender, same as Coleman had for Tampa (here is the sales pitch).

The Devils already need to think about the summer 23 and beyond. Subban's contract is up next season, a year later Severson, Smith, Graves and Siegenthaler will need extensions and all four will look for raises. Considering cap and the farm system today I would try to extent Siegenthaler and Severson. A lot of Devils fans like Graves over Severson.

I would listen to offers for Graves and check the market for Smith. There is no urgency to move either one at the deadline. I am very interested to see, if Okhotyuk would be a good fit alongside Hamilton.

Ledge And Dairy

To be fair he is also paired with the guy at the top of that list. IMO Severson is much improved from past seasons and is more than worth his contract. At 50% he should have great value for a contender, same as Coleman had for Tampa (here is the sales pitch).

The Devils already need to think about the summer 23 and beyond. Subban's contract is up next season, a year later Severson, Smith, Graves and Siegenthaler will need extensions and all four will look for raises. Considering cap and the farm system today I would try to extent Siegenthaler and Severson. A lot of Devils fans like Graves over Severson.

I would listen to offers for Graves and check the market for Smith. There is no urgency to move either one at the deadline. I am very interested to see, if Okhotyuk would be a good fit alongside Hamilton.
I get what you are saying about Siegenthaler being at #1, but if we look right below both of those players we have the Stars top pair of Heiskanen and Lindell respectively. Lindell has been well known for a long time as a very good shutdown defenseman so it's not like his defensive stats are being overly boosted by Miro by any means. To continue on my point in the previous season Chris Tanev was ranked #1 and his most common partner Hanifin was ranked at 75.

Im not going to get into the details of what the Devils future on defense will look like as I don't pay close enough attention to that aspect

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The reality is Liliegren is 22, turning 23 in a few months and it's likely going to take at least 1-2 more years to develop him. So even if he reach's Severson's level (which I think he will) he will be 24-25 when he does. This is all hypothetical but lets say if you have him actually reach his potential for his 24, 25, 26 aged seasons (before he hits UFA) that's only 2-3 years of prime productivity before he goes because Toronto is maxed out cap wise and we can't afford anyone beyond paying 3 d-man 5+ million (unless you can sign him to a long term deal at a good price). So I would just take Severson for a guaranteed 2 years for 2 playoffs runs now rather then having Lilly be in his prime for say 3 playoff runs later before he gets paid a good deal (that's if he even reaches his potential). So a deal centered around Lilly for Sev at 50 % just makes sense for both teams IMO. Sure Lilly could be better then Severson but that's called giving up value to make a deal happen now. Nothing wrong with that. Based on everyone hitting their peak for the leafs now, 2 years of peak playoff performance from Severson now would be better then 2-3 years from peak Lilly later. Also this doesn't factor in their's an imposed cost in developing Liljegren.

Last edited:
Reactions: TBF1972

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Your belief that " the world revolves around the Leafs" unfortunately isn't shared by Leaf fans. Though maybe it ought to be.
Ahh Yeah it does... In context ofcourse, we mean the hockey world. Name another city that comes close to producing the number of NHL players Toronto (The GTA), does. Name another city that broadcasts and talks hockey more than Toronto. The Stanley Cup lives here, we lend it out a couple of weeks a year to the team that wins the playoffs and we etch their name into it. Actually all the hockey trophies live here, Don't be such a downer.

Last edited:

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
The reality is Liliegren is 22, turning 23 in a few months and it's likely going to take at least 1-2 more years to develop him. So even if he reach's Severson's level (which I think he will) he will be 24-25 when he does. This is all hypothetical but lets say if you have him actually reach his potential for his 24, 25, 26 aged seasons (before he hits UFA) that's only 2-3 years of prime productivity before he goes because Toronto is maxed out cap wise and we can't afford anyone beyond paying 3 d-man 5+ million (unless you can sign him to a long term deal at a good price). So I would just take Severson for a guaranteed 2 years for 2 playoffs runs now rather then having Lilly be in his prime for say 3 playoff runs later before he gets paid a good deal (that's if he even reaches his potential). So a deal centered around Lilly for Sev at 50 % just makes sense for both teams IMO. Sure Lilly could be better then Severson but that's called giving up value to make a deal happen now. Nothing wrong with that. Based on everyone hitting their peak for the leafs now, 2 years of peak playoff performance from Severson now would be better then 2-3 years from peak Lilly later. Also this doesn't factor in their's an imposed cost in developing Liljegren.
It doesn't make sense for the Leafs. Liljegren can and has played in the top 4 this season and has looked very good. Hes taken a season at every level to get acclimated, once he has his growth in that league hits a rapid incline. No reason at all to trade Liljegren.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Leaf fans seem to think Severson is completely inept in his own end, he's not.
Sure he has his moments where you wonder what he's doing, but he also produces points a decent clip, is under contract so you get him for at least 2 playoff runs, is a right hand shooting top 4 defenseman and you're getting him at a shade over 2 million a year.
Leaf fans may think this is an overpayment, but an overpayment is what it would take to get him.
Well the two times he played us he was complete trash. And sure that's a small sample size but we have no use for a guy making the mistakes he makes. In fact we want the complete opposite. If you have a Brodie type player let us know though.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Well...he'd be an upgrade on Holl I guess. But OP price is a joke.

Most I'd do is Dermott, Amirov and a 2nd.

Maybe conditional 2nd that becomes a 1st if the Leafs reach the finals or Severson plays in atleast 14 playoff games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad