Proposal: Severson to Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Leaf fans seem to think Severson is completely inept in his own end, he's not.
Sure he has his moments where you wonder what he's doing, but he also produces points a decent clip, is under contract so you get him for at least 2 playoff runs, is a right hand shooting top 4 defenseman and you're getting him at a shade over 2 million a year.
Leaf fans may think this is an overpayment, but an overpayment is what it would take to get him.
no offense but thats not overpayment thats stupidity. 2 of thoses pieces is overpayment.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
no offense but thats not overpayment thats stupidity. 2 of thoses pieces is overpayment.

I agree, if fact I was the first to say I'd take it from the Devils perspective.. not sure Toronto would though
I just hate people thinking they know about a player cuz the saw him play once or a highlight on here one time

Reactions: shortfuze

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Hes not to far off, severson is bad defensively, really bad.
Yes, he was bad against the Maple Leafs, but those were one of his worst games in his career. Usually he is better, much better. He isn't the best defensive dman, but overall he is a really good player. It's ridiculous to say, that he wouldn't take him for free.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Yes, he was bad against the Maple Leafs, but those were one of his worst games in his career. Usually he is better, much better. He isn't the best defensive dman, but overall he is a really good player. It's ridiculous to say, that he wouldn't take him for free.
I didn't say that, I said I would take him for free. Considering price and fit for our team though and his cap hit, I wouldnt give up a 3rd for him.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Tell me you don't watch the Devils without telling me you don't watch the Devils.
Check the hate severson gets from Devils fans after each game. Hes not good defensively at all. Why would a team like the leafs who need a top 4 defensive d target him at all never mind paying the ops ridiculous package for him.

Reactions: TML1990 and Kurtz

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Context matters, with cap hit, his fit, and being sub par defensively, why would the leafs give up more.
Yeah, context matter, because he isn't sub par defensively. He makes mistakes occasionally, but most of the time he is reliable. But this discussion is pointless if everything you know about Severson is based on those two earlies games against the Maple Leafs.

I don't know what you think about Siegel, but he thought Severson would be a perfect fit for the Leafs.

"Severson would be a perfect fit for the Leafs — and a perfect fit for Muzzin, in particular. Of all the guys on this list, I think he fits best as a solution for now and later. Severson can really move the puck. He’s poised with it and aligns with the way this team wants to play. Severson has the kind of size (6-foot-2, over 200 pounds) that makes him a fit for the kind of responsibility the Leafs would need him for. He’s not particularly physical but uses his length and stick to defend — almost like a larger version of Brodie."

Maple Leafs trade targets: Which defencemen should Toronto add before the deadline?

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I agree, if fact I was the first to say I'd take it from the Devils perspective.. not sure Toronto would though
I just hate people thinking they know about a player cuz the saw him play once or a highlight on here one time
Ya for sure. Most people base a players play off of a small sample size. Never the big picture.

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Some of these asking prices are so out of whack you almost wonder if the true goal of some of these threads is strictly shock value.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Yeah, context matter, because he isn't sub par defensively. He makes mistakes occasionally, but most of the time he is reliable. But this discussion is pointless if everything you know about Severson is based on those two earlies games against the Maple Leafs.

I don't know what you think about Siegel, but he thought Severson would be a perfect fit for the Leafs.

"Severson would be a perfect fit for the Leafs — and a perfect fit for Muzzin, in particular. Of all the guys on this list, I think he fits best as a solution for now and later. Severson can really move the puck. He’s poised with it and aligns with the way this team wants to play. Severson has the kind of size (6-foot-2, over 200 pounds) that makes him a fit for the kind of responsibility the Leafs would need him for. He’s not particularly physical but uses his length and stick to defend — almost like a larger version of Brodie."

Maple Leafs trade targets: Which defencemen should Toronto add before the deadline?
Don't really care what Jonas thinks of severson. The point is the leafs need a top 4 who excels in the defensive end. Also giving up a young d who will be top 4 next year, a 1st, and our 2nd best prospect is laughable. Let it go, this is not a good proposal and severson is not what the leafs need.

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Does NJ want to dump Severson? I don't watch the devils much, but he's always come off as a fairly steady top 4 RHD. Those are hard to come across. He advanced stats look pretty solid for a two way guy. Moving him opens up another hole at RHD for NJ. Who fills it?

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Does NJ want to dump Severson? I don't watch the devils much, but he's always come off as a fairly steady top 4 RHD. Those are hard to come across. He advanced stats look pretty solid for a two way guy. Moving him opens up another hole at RHD for NJ. Who fills it?
Yeah, I wouldn't trade him unless someone overpays for him. As you said, moving him opens another hole at RHD for NJ. On the other hand, I'm not sure if the Devils are ready to give him 6x6 contract or something like that after next season. I'm not sure if he is a core guy for the Devils.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
one poster called him a human turnstyle and a right handed Jake Gardiner, so yes people here are saying he's bad.

As for the rest of what you're saying, Chiarot is a rental and he's also older and a LHD
Klingberg is great but he's also a rental.

I guess Toronto could spend all their assets on rentals again, it's worked so well in the past lol
or they could get a player for 2 playoff pushes.

Gardiner was great, the problem was their brain cramp in the same way of severson so yes i think gardiner comparaison is not that bad. Severson also had big brain cramp and the 2on1 on pp against toronto, its just an exemple of it.

Thats exactly whats leafs DONT NEED.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Based on the asking price i would say definitely not.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Gardiner was great, the problem was their brain cramp in the same way of severson so yes i think gardiner comparaison is not that bad. Severson also had big brain cramp and the 2on1 on pp against toronto, its just an exemple of it.

Thats exactly whats leafs DONT NEED.

Fair enough, but his name has been linked to Toronto a lot recently so it seems people higher than yourself may disagree
This thread has become nothing more than Leaf fans shitting on Severson though

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

He's an interesting case because he has a really good deal, and he's a very solid top 4 RHD as you said. But we also already have Dougie locked up, and we have no idea if Severson ultimately wants to re-sign with the team after his contract is up following next year, nor do we have an idea on where both parties stands in that regard.

I've mentioned it in the Devils forum before, but the thing is, his value won't be greater than it is right now. So if Fitz thinks there's a reasonable chance that he won't be around after next season, then he should just move him now to get max value. For the rest of the season we can just run with a Jaros type to eat minutes. We are already out of it so it doesn't matter.

The off season opens more options for sure.

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad