Proposal: Severson to Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Ask for a reasonable return and the outrage would be less.

The only offers I've seen from Leaf fans are, a 3rd or free.
I think the OP is on the high side, but nowhere near the insanity that has resulted.
Realistically the Devils should be after 2 of the assets mentioned in the OP and a smaller add or a bigger add with taking Richie back for cap space.

Ledge And Dairy

Essentially 3 first round picks for a human turnstile?

No chance
Rightly or wrongly, Leafs fans watched Severson get absolutely embarassed on the ice a few weeks ago. I don't think you're going to get a lot of interest.
Guy is a right handed Jake Gardiner. Huge pass on this guy
Honestly I have zero interest in Severson out side of a reclamation project.
not the D man we want or need at all.
Severson is absolute garbage defensively, I would not take him for free. Not even exaggerating. In our back to back games, he was hands down the worst player for either team. He can't defend, he's not physical, never in position. Absolutely zero interest in Severson.

The proposed offer is laughable. Just considering how bad he is, he's literally not worth taking for free. Waste of cap space, heavy pass.
Severson is terrible, I'd take him for free, but including Liljegren and robbie and a 1st is disgusting. Trade him somewhere else and ask for a similar package and you'll be laughed out of the thread.
QxAEPJl.png

We just going to pretend Severson isn't 5th league-wide in in Defensive WAR? Ok Leafs fans, gotta love 2 game sample sizes :biglaugh:

Ledge And Dairy

Looking at those stats, are you really going to brag about a dman with 0.2 WAR? That's the guy you think is worth the OP's asking price?
If you scroll up I said that the OP's base is wrong. Toronto should not be trading Liljegren.

I think you are missing the point though. Severson is not great offensively but he is very good defensively. Claiming he sucks defensively based off 2 bad games vs Toronto is ignorant

Ledge And Dairy

This isn't true at all. Also even if it was, his brain cramps in game are terrible and he has a huge issue with an aggressive forecheck. Thanks but no thanks.
And you are basing this opinion off of what? 2 games?
Defensively Severson has been better than every defenseman on the Leafs roster this year with the exception of Liljegren who has played way less and much more sheltered minutes. Even vs Liljegren Severson is better in HD situations

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
And you are basing this opinion off of what? 2 games?
Defensively Severson has been better than every defenseman on the Leafs roster this year with the exception of Liljegren who has played way less and much more sheltered minutes. Even vs Liljegren Severson is better in HD situations
You assume a lot for someone who likes to make bold claims about other people. You happen to be misinformed in regards to my lack of viewings of severson. I've watched him a lot over the years, and have watched him atleast in 10 games this season. Thats why I'm sure he's not a good fit on the leafs blue line. Your more then welcome to disagree with me, but you need to stop throwing out statements about people and their supposed ignorance of a player when you really have no clue about said people.

Reactions: TML1990

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Wow you know I think Sev would be a great fit in Tironto just wasn't sure if they would be willing to move him since they are close to competing but after seeing the offer I think they take it and run
Leafs offer too much imo

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Wow you know I think Sev would be a great fit in Tironto just wasn't sure if they would be willing to move him since they are close to competing but after seeing the offer I think they take it and run
Leafs offer too much imo
Op is a wishful thinking devils fan. Leafs would never offer that package for severson.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Ledge And Dairy

You assume a lot for someone who likes to make bold claims about other people. You happen to be misinformed in regards to my lack of viewings of severson. I've watched him a lot over the years, and have watched him atleast in 10 games this season. Thats why I'm sure he's not a good fit on the leafs blue line. Your more then welcome to disagree with me, but you need to stop throwing out statements about people and their supposed ignorance of a player when you really have no clue about said people.
I mean you are making claims that show a real lack of understanding of the player, so logically I would think you are ignorant to who he actually is since you are so confident in your opinion of him.

You claim he is bad defensively yet he is 5th in defensive WAR, 60th in CA/60, and 64th in xGA/60. (that is out of 294 defensemen)

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I mean you are making claims that show a real lack of understanding of the player, so logically I would think you are ignorant to who he actually is since you are so confident in your opinion of him.

You claim he is bad defensively yet he is 5th in defensive WAR, 60th in CA/60, and 64th in xGA/60. (that is out of 294 defensemen)
Ok let me make this as plain as I can. Toronto needs a physical crease clearing defensive defenseman who if necessary can drop the gloves and handle big forwards and an aggressive forecheck. Does Severson match that criteria, I'd say no. Just out of curiosity though what do you believe Severson would return from any team at the deadline ?

Ledge And Dairy

Ok let me make this as plain as I can. Toronto needs a physical crease clearing defensive defenseman who if necessary can drop the gloves and handle big forwards and an aggressive forecheck. Does Severson match that criteria, I'd say no. Just out of curiosity though what do you believe Severson would return from any team at the deadline ?
I don't agree with that analysis, Toronto could benefit from a "physical crease clearing defensive defenseman who if necessary can drop the gloves and handle big forwards and an aggressive forecheck." like Chiarot on their 3rd pair but they in a much bigger need of a clear upgrade on the 2nd pair over Justin Holl.

As for his value, I would say it's a bit less than what Muzzin returned a few years back, with retention I would say it's about the same. If I was New Jersey I would probably ask for a 1st and Neimela as the base along with taking one of Holl or Dermott for cap reasons. I do not see any circumstance where Toronto moves Liljegren though

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I don't agree with that analysis, Toronto could benefit from a "physical crease clearing defensive defenseman who if necessary can drop the gloves and handle big forwards and an aggressive forecheck." like Chiarot on their 3rd pair but they in a much bigger need of a clear upgrade on the 2nd pair over Justin Holl.

As for his value, I would say it's a bit less than what Muzzin returned a few years back, with retention I would say it's about the same. If I was New Jersey I would probably ask for a 1st and Neimela as the base along with taking one of Holl or Dermott for cap reasons. I do not see any circumstance where Toronto moves Liljegren though
I dont see Toronto moving Niemela either. Also both Holl and Dermott have positive value at their cap hits so they would not be the ones going the other way to balance cap. I just don't believe the leafs and Devils are a fit in regards to trading.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I dont see Toronto moving Niemela either. Also both Holl and Dermott have positive value at their cap hits so they would not be the ones going the other way to balance cap. I just don't believe the leafs and Devils are a fit in regards to trading.
Can you explain the bolded?
Not seeing how it makes sense when Holl is overpaid and Dermott is fairly paid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad