Proposal: Severson to Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
1st, and Liljegren and Robertson?! Nah, no.

The Devils player I think would look best on the Leafs (within reason, no Kerfoot, Dermott and a 2nd for Hughes here) is Zacha. What would that look like?

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
I understand if the Maple Leafs fans aren't ready to trade Severson for that package. However, Severson is so important player for the Devils that I would trade him only if the Devils can get overpayment for him.

I also have to add, that Severson is a better player than many Maple Leafs fans are thinking of. Those couple Maple Leafs games were one of the worst games in his career, and his normal standard is much better. Actually I would say he would be a really good second pair dman in a playoff team.

Reactions: Bet the Over

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Jonas Siegel's proposal was Severson for 1st, Liljegren and Abruzzese. I wouldn't accept that offer.

"Would the Devils move Severson, a rock on their back end eating almost 24 minutes a night? The cost would likely be high. Maybe along the same lines as the deal that brought Muzzin to Toronto — a first-round pick, B prospect and youngish NHL player. Say something like the Leafs’ first in 2022, Nick Abruzzese, and Liljegren.

That feels like a lot, but given the fit — for at least two postseasons — I might be inclined to pay it."

Maple Leafs trade targets: Which defencemen should Toronto add before the deadline?

Reactions: banks

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Leaf fans seem to think Severson is completely inept in his own end, he's not.
Sure he has his moments where you wonder what he's doing, but he also produces points a decent clip, is under contract so you get him for at least 2 playoff runs, is a right hand shooting top 4 defenseman and you're getting him at a shade over 2 million a year.
Leaf fans may think this is an overpayment, but an overpayment is what it would take to get him.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Sure he has his moments where you wonder what he's doing, but he also produces points a decent clip, is under contract so you get him for at least 2 playoff runs, is a right hand shooting top 4 defenseman and you're getting him at a shade over 2 million a year.
Leaf fans may think this is an overpayment, but an overpayment is what it would take to get him.

No one’s saying he’s bad, he’s a good second pair guy who can PP and put up points, nobody is disputing that.

But I just feel for a team like the Leafs, who in the last three drafts have picked just six times in the top 100, those assets could be better spent elsewhere.

Robertson doesn’t impress me (others I know feel differently) but Liljegren was given all of the patience in the world and now finally looks like he’s carving out his place in the league, and to trade him now?

Chiarot, who addresses a more pressing team need (big, mean physical second pair guy), could probably be had for less, or Klingberg, who’s a UFA but a superior player across the board, could be had for that or a little more.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I guarantee Leafs fans are judging him based on that one particular OT play against the Leafs.
As you know, the world revolves around the Leafs so they know Severson best.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
No one’s saying he’s bad, he’s a good second pair guy who can PP and put up points, nobody is disputing that.

But I just feel for a team like the Leafs, who in the last three drafts have picked just six times in the top 100, those assets could be better spent elsewhere.

Robertson doesn’t impress me (others I know feel differently) but Liljegren was given all of the patience in the world and now finally looks like he’s carving out his place in the league, and to trade him now?

Chiarot, who addresses a more pressing team need (big, mean physical second pair guy), could probably be had for less, or Klingberg, who’s a UFA but a superior player across the board, could be had for that or a little more.

one poster called him a human turnstyle and a right handed Jake Gardiner, so yes people here are saying he's bad.

As for the rest of what you're saying, Chiarot is a rental and he's also older and a LHD
Klingberg is great but he's also a rental.

I guess Toronto could spend all their assets on rentals again, it's worked so well in the past lol
or they could get a player for 2 playoff pushes.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I guarantee Leafs fans are judging him based on that one particular OT play against the Leafs.
As you know, the world revolves around the Leafs so they know Severson best.

In fairness, that was a classic Severson blunder. He used to have those every other game. To his credit though, he’s playing the best hockey of his life this season. He’s cleaned up his defensive play and consistently producing offensively. He seemed to have garnered a pretty respectable reputation from non-Devils fans across the league over the years…probably due to his hot rookie start back in the day and usually good advanced metrics. But he seems to have put it together enough now that he actually deserves the favorable reputation he’s had league wide.

Last edited:

Mar 26, 2010
Wow, Toronto gets robbed at gun point here. No way Dubas touches that.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Honestly I have zero interest in Severson out side of a reclamation project.
not the D man we want or need at all.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
In fairness, that was a classic Severson blunder. He used to have those every other game. To his credit though, he’s playing the best hockey of his life this season. He’s cleaned up his defensive play and consistently producing offensively. He seemed to have garnered a pretty respectable reputation from non-Devils fans across the league over the years…probably due to his hot rookie start back in the day and usually good advanced metrics. But he seems to put it together enough that he actually deserves the favorable reputation he’s had league wide.

His advanced stats look pretty decent all things considered.

But the Leafs are sending back significant assets here. If the Muzzin trade is a benchmark... Liljegren is essentially what one hoped Durzi could develop into and Robertson has much higher upside than Grundstrom, injuries notwithstanding. Mind you, Severson is a few years younger than Muzzin was, and there is the 50% retention, although I am not convinced he is as good.

On the balance, I think I'd shy away from giving these kind of assets, but I'm less desperate to upgrade our D than others.

Reactions: banks

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Severson is absolute garbage defensively, I would not take him for free. Not even exaggerating. In our back to back games, he was hands down the worst player for either team. He can't defend, he's not physical, never in position. Absolutely zero interest in Severson.

The proposed offer is laughable. Just considering how bad he is, he's literally not worth taking for free. Waste of cap space, heavy pass.

Reactions: Kurtz

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Severson is terrible, I'd take him for free, but including Liljegren and robbie and a 1st is disgusting. Trade him somewhere else and ask for a similar package and you'll be laughed out of the thread.

Reactions: TML1990

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Severson is absolute garbage defensively, I would not take him for free. Not even exaggerating. In our back to back games, he was hands down the worst player for either team. He can't defend, he's not physical, never in position. Absolutely zero interest in Severson.

The proposed offer is laughable. Just considering how bad he is, he's literally not worth taking for free. Waste of cap space, heavy pass.
We have an expert here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad