OT: Severe Weather Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
Suddenly sounds like things have gone downhill outside my living room window in Lindenhurst. Don't see too many tornado watches around here, hopefully it stays that way and doesn't become a warning.
Hello fellow Lindenhurst resident *waves*

Reactions: nyisles

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'm wondering why the weather forecasting/reporting focused so much on tornadoes when we got rainfall of basically biblical proportions?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm wondering why the weather forecasting/reporting focused so much on tornadoes when we got rainfall of basically biblical proportions?
Instant destruction vs an hours long deluge?

Tornadoes in daytime hours are eye candy for the news outlets.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Instant destruction vs an hours long deluge?

Tornadoes in daytime hours are eye candy for the news outlets.
Yeah. My assumption has always been that the demographics of people watching local news weather is mostly older people who aren't going out anyway and are looking for entertainment. So tornadoes play into that very well.

I checked my phone during the day a few times and somehow it didn't get through to me that I should get the hell out of Dodge and head home earlier than I did. So I ended up trying navigate my way through rushing/rising waters in my 2400 pound, low-riding 2-seater car. That was fun, let me tell you. I never saw rapids on a road before.

Reactions: MJF

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I'll just say that a flash flood watch was issued 2 days in advance of this event and 3 to 5 + inches of rain were forecasted. I'm not sure the seriousness of the impact registered enough with the public given the non event Henri turned out to be. Sadly 45 or so people lost their lives. The speed and scope of the rainfall was historic.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
As for the other day’s storm, reminds me of Valentine’s Day 2010…. Very dry air just north of the precip shield killed all the precip. Painfully watched the radar as bands of intense snow sat just south of the Island. Some near-shore fish saw a lot of snow they day

Reactions: TeamKidd

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Yes. Quick hitting, but potentially heavy and perfect timing to screw up morning commute and whatnot

Still too early to call, but can’t rule out a quick 4-8” kinda event, will keep an eye out on it though
agreed, quick hitting but potentially intense...could make a mess of things friday morning. smallish, developing storm, path still needs to be ironed out a bit, range of 2-8" possible as of now

Reactions: xECK29x and MJF

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
agreed, quick hitting but potentially intense...could make a mess of things friday morning. smallish, developing storm, path still needs to be ironed out a bit, range of 2-8" possible as of now

Still tracking a quick moving snowstorm for tomorrow night into friday morning. Still seeing potential for something around 3-6 inches depending on the exact track, starting after midnight tomorrow night and lasting through the morning rush. Lots of features to flush out, but still seeing signals for some pretty intense snowfall rates, however briefly...

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Any updated predictions? I work by the coliseum get out around 3-4am wondering if I'm gonna be in trouble.
3-4 AM is cutting it close. You may miss the worst snowfall, but not by much… not to mention these have a nasty habit of getting in earlier than expected

For simplicities sake, I’d say snow starts around 1AM, picks up in intensity and there is a 5 hour window between say 4-9 where the heaviest will fall

I think a general 4-8 is a good bet Island wide, maybe slightly less towards the city, maybe a little more on the east end

Rush hour tomorrow Will not be fun. I hope jobs and schools leverage their new remote capabilities. Lord knows we’ve had enough practice over the past two years

Oh, and not to mention there is the potential for locally higher amounts in bands that form… could be intense snowfall amounts for a time where those occur

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
3-4 AM is cutting it close. You may miss the worst snowfall, but not by much… not to mention these have a nasty habit of getting in earlier than expected

For simplicities sake, I’d say snow starts around 1AM, picks up in intensity and there is a 5 hour window between say 4-9 where the heaviest will fall

I think a general 4-8 is a good bet Island wide, maybe slightly less towards the city, maybe a little more on the east end

Rush hour tomorrow Will not be fun. I hope jobs and schools leverage their new remote capabilities. Lord knows we’ve had enough practice over the past two years

Oh, and not to mention there is the potential for locally higher amounts in bands that form… could be intense snowfall amounts for a time where those occur

Agreed, quite bullish on some pretty heavy snow late overnight through the morning rush. MORNING RUSH WILL BE A DISASTER. try to avoid travel. I wish the NWS would go with a Winter Storm Watch on this one, the advisory does not do justice to the impact to the morning commute.

This storm is already producing some very heavy snow in the deep south and that should only blossom as it gets closer. looking for a moderate/heavy band of snow to develop over the island for a few hours from like 4-8am, which will dump a nice bit of snow. A quick 4-8" not out of the question.

Reactions: MJF

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
floop-hrrr-2022010612.ref1km_ptype.us_ne.gif

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Agreed, quite bullish on some pretty heavy snow late overnight through the morning rush. MORNING RUSH WILL BE A DISASTER. try to avoid travel. I wish the NWS would go with a Winter Storm Watch on this one, the advisory does not do justice to the impact to the morning commute.

This storm is already producing some very heavy snow in the deep south and that should only blossom as it gets closer. looking for a moderate/heavy band of snow to develop over the island for a few hours from like 4-8am, which will dump a nice bit of snow. A quick 4-8" not out of the question.

Winter storm warning now for Suffolk not Nassau thought.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013

Schools in my area have not, and appear unwilling too, utilize remote capabilities. Kids who are being required to quarantine for 14 days, multiple times due to contact tracing not necessarily actual infection, are being told to Learn the lessons on their own. It’s strange to me that they’re not broadcasting these lessons live for the kids who are forced to be out.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Schools in my area have not, and appear unwilling too, utilize remote capabilities. Kids who are being required to quarantine for 14 days, multiple times due to contact tracing not necessarily actual infection, are being told to Learn the lessons on their own. It’s strange to me that they’re not broadcasting these lessons live for the kids who are forced to be out.

Anectodical, but my wife is a teacher and virtual learning is such a farce so I understand why they don't want to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad