OT: Severe Weather Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Yep pulling east for sure, plenty of rain but the wind should mostly be a non factor except we'll east. This now concludes our Emergency Preparedness Drill.

Reactions: doublechili and MJF

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Wow hard shift to the East
Yes it was. Wind just started picking up here in the southern part of Boston. Not much rain but the wind is 35+ mph and that is wort case scenario for us. We've had a lot of rain recently so trees will fall.

Good luck to everyone!

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
57951.jpeg

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

Lol, it is because I put far more effort than I usually do into getting ready for a storm.

I moved an insane amount of stuff from the yard to the garage (where it will probably now stay through the winter), raked out the leaves from the various street gutters near me, charged up batteries, phones and electrical devices, etc., made sure I had battery backup for the sump pump, and even put new windshield wipers on my car.

I don't usually do all of that but actually had the time this weekend for once.

Now if I didn't do all of that, I am sure it would have been a direct strike.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Dodged the wind and the worst of the rain, though some places in the city probably ended up with 10-12” between last night and today… northern NJ is in big trouble with rain

Reactions: TeamKidd

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I dunno if any of you know anyone in southern Louisiana, but they need to get the frig out ASAP, Hurricane Ida will probably be a Cat 4 or Cat 5 at landfall, it's going to go bananas in the gulf. It'll then U-turn around the country and head up our way (much, much, much weaker)...

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I dunno if any of you know anyone in southern Louisiana, but they need to get the frig out ASAP, Hurricane Ida will probably be a Cat 4 or Cat 5 at landfall, it's going to go bananas in the gulf. It'll then U-turn around the country and head up our way (much, much, much weaker)...
When do we get the remnants of Ida?

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Pack up the double wide and head to a blue state.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Np. Still a chance it ends up south of us, and the exact timing is still up in the air, but worth keeping an eye on, especially since alot of places in western LI and northern NJ just got a ton of rain as is

Reactions: MJF

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
If anyone has a basement that is prone to floods, get ready. Lots of rain coming from Ida… probably 3-6”, locally 8”

Reactions: TeamKidd

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I was expecting a deluge today, but this has been nothing much so far. Looking at radar on my phone, looks like the heavy rain is going to miss Long Island to the north.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I was expecting a deluge today, but this has been nothing much so far. Looking at radar on my phone, looks like the heavy rain is going to miss Long Island to the north.
Yup. LHV getting plastered.

we’ll get our heavy rain, just a briefer period of heavy downpours this evening into early overnight hours

The bad news is that we could see some severe storms as those storms come through

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Absolute mayhem tonight in New Jersey with multiple significant tornadoes and Flash Flood Emergencies, carrying on North and eastward with a tornado warning in the Bronx now. Long island will see very heavy rain, flooding and thunderstorms but NJ/NYC really took it on the chin from Ida's remnants

Last edited:

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
Suddenly sounds like things have gone downhill outside my living room window in Lindenhurst. Don't see too many tornado watches around here, hopefully it stays that way and doesn't become a warning.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
NYC looks like “The Day After”. Had to be a 4” per hour rate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad