Apr 22, 2015
Problem is where to put him?
We are already full or one too many.

Jarry
Ned

Blomqvist
Larsson

Gauthier

maybe we can loan him to another AHL team? But That doesn't seem like the best thing
You don't trade your starter to make room for a guy at the bottom of your depth chart, but if this really is a rebuild/retool season, I could see them moving Jarry and running this:

Ned
Blomqvist/Larsson

Larsson/Blomqvist
Gauthier

Murashov

Throw those 5 goalies into a royal rumble, let their play sort it out.

honestly if Murashov is at all decent why not jettison one of the no-hopers and make room for him?
All our guys in development: (Blomqvist, Larsson, Gauthier) have NHL potential.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
All our guys in development: (Blomqvist, Larsson, Gauthier) have NHL potential.
I'm just saying, if he's got the skills, there's no need to waste time with him. Trade Jarry, promote Blomqvist and have Murashov platoon with whoever in Wheeling. IMO, goalie is the least league-dependent position to develop, so take 'em from where ever and stick them wherever they can get playing.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Nah because he doesn’t have a contract and he’s not an established KHL guy and we don’t really do that anymore . But NHL teamsused to bribe people all the time to bring them over. Jágr is one really noticeable and famous case (with a good documentary about it!) but there were others

I don't have details, but I'm going to guess Malkin was part of a bribe scheme too

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I'm just saying, if he's got the skills, there's no need to waste time with him. Trade Jarry, promote Blomqvist and have Murashov platoon with whoever in Wheeling. IMO, goalie is the least league-dependent position to develop, so take 'em from where ever and stick them wherever they can get playing.
Agreed.

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Probably another year is Russia and then AHL for another year. He has the look of a potential franchise goalie down the road. that is in line with the Pens adding prospects to the pool for the transition from Geno and others.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

That’s not how we do things in Pittsburgh.

• Haha
Reactions: GilbertSeinfeld

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The ECHL is a shit league, I wouldn't want any sort of notable prospect being sent there to "develop".

It's not SPHL bad but it still sucks.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
vasXJdz.png

• Haha
Reactions: GilbertSeinfeld

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The ECHL is a shit league, I wouldn't want any sort of notable prospect being sent there to "develop".

It’s better than the VHL for sure. Even the KHL is pretty suspect these days. I wasn’t aware the Scandinavian leagues had import quotas but I probably should have guessed that, especially with Russia threatening to bomb Finland and all. :laugh: so they’re out. Extraliga also doesn’t want to bring in foreign goalies, there's really not a lot of options if you want the guy to develop somewhere where you can keep tabs on him.

I also don’t think Murashov is ultimately guaranteed of anything remotely like a starter position in the KHL despite his performance in the VHL, otherwise he would probably be staying put. In the end, it comes down to how much the guy would prefer to be in NA vs Russia, I suppose. I maintain that being here is better for developmental purposes, especially if he does come up and steal the job from one of the AHL guys.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

It is better than the VHL, though, and the ECHL has a long history of goalies graduating to the NHL.

I'm not inherently for or against bringing him over now - I think the handful of games he might get in the KHL would be more beneficial than anything he'd face in Wheeling or WBS - but the bulk of his minutes right now are against sub-ECHL competition and there's definite value in having him within the organization where he can be monitored much more easily.

For the ECHL's faults...it's still a men's league. The VHL is more akin to a junior league. Heck, Murashov's back-up had a 1.46 GAA & .937 sv%.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I don't recall if all the Russian rinks are the same size/are NHL dimensions. When I watched some of Tankov's games they looked to vary a little bit.

It'd be nice to get Scooter familiarized with North American dimensions if he's not already.

Also worth noting that his Russian club doesn't have a minors equivalent. It's Juniors or KHL for him.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It looks like Yaroslavl loaned some players to a VHL team this past season. Perm Molot-Prikamye. Sounds exotic.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I think you don't realize how bad the VHL is.

I don't recall if all the Russian rinks are the same size/are NHL dimensions. When I watched some of Tankov's games they looked to vary a little bit.
Not standardized, IIRC, but most rinks are bigger, especially if they were built during the era when the KHL actually tried to compete with the Extraligas of Central Europe, so they had teams in Prague, Bratislava, etc. and just used our facilities.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Taylor Haase

7:24 PM - JULY 10, 2024 CRANBERRY, PA.

Something to consider with Sergei Murashov if he does go back to Russia: Two years ago the NHL issued a directive to all teams to cease contact with the KHL and its clubs. So say Murashov does go back, the Penguins wouldn't be able to talk with his coaches or manager about him, and they aren't able to talk to teams now to figure out what what his role would be like if he signs with that team. They could get that information indirectly through Murashov, but they couldn't have those conversations themselves.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, I really think people assume that dealing with Russia now is just like it was 20 years ago here and it's not. And even then, it wasn't exactly smooth sailing-- remember how Malkin had to essentially defect to get out of a forced contract signing? :laugh:

Yinz are being a shade naive, IMO.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Wikipedia says the President of the KHL is none other than Alexei Morozov.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Yeah, I really think people assume that dealing with Russia now is just like it was 20 years ago here and it's not. And even then, it wasn't exactly smooth sailing-- remember how Malkin had to essentially defect to get out of a forced contract signing? :laugh:

Yinz are being a shade naive, IMO.
Lol. Yinzers doesn't also carry a negative connotation for no reason, ha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad