Pre-Game Talk: SENS vs Chicago, Thursday 7:30 pm (Home Opener)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Hertl would have been our 3rd best forward and is still pretty young. I don't see him ever being more than a 20 goal/45-50 point producer who steps his game up in the playoffs (somewhat comparable to Jakob Silfverberg). His knee injury history is also a concern.

Tierney's still a wild card as he's younger than Hertl, never really been given top six playing time and has improved his point totals every year thus far. Was pretty invisible in training camp though.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
But what does that have to do with the system we play?

Either way, almost every move we've made since Boucher has been around has revolved around moving out slower, perimeter players for players with more speed an net drive. That's how goals are scored in today's NHL. It's the reason we got Duchene for Turris, Boedker for Hoffman. It's the reason two 19-yr olds Tkachuk and Formenton made the team, while Brown didn't. It's very clear that we're adapting the team for this style of play.

Wait and see.. They are formed as an old school shut down pair to face the other teams top line(s) and they will be pinned in their end because they both need a faster PMD to help them get the puck out. Truth is Sens D is so shallow ... but I agree with Bert that the mindset is telling. Its Boucher trying to make the best of a bad situation and reverting to what he feels most comfortable with

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hertl would have been our 3rd best forward and is still pretty young. I don't see him ever being more than a 20 goal/45-50 point producer who steps his game up in the playoffs (somewhat comparable to Jakob Silfverberg). His knee injury history is also a concern.

Tierney's still a wild card as he's younger than Hertl, never really been given top six playing time and has improved his point totals every year thus far. Was pretty invisible in training camp though.

And playoffs. He's closer to Pageau than Fisher.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
One of the biggest hope this season was that Boucher could reinvent himself. Zack Smith as the 2nd line center and Boro-Ceci as a top shutdown pair doesn't make you confident that he did...

With Tkachuk, this is how I'd go. Formenton replaces him in the meantime and then have Smith-White-Boedker as your 3rd line.

Tkachuk-Duchene-Dzingel
Ryan-Tierney-Stone
Formenton-Smith (Pageau)-Boedker
Paajarvi-White-Pyatt
McCormick

Chabot-Wideman
Lajoie-Ceci
Borowiecki-DeMelo
Harpur

Chlapik and Wolanin need to be on this team. Package Smith, Harpur, even Ceci if necessary to get a more useful player (obviously with significant salary since it would be the only way to trade Smith). Need help on RD.

Tkachuk-Duchene-Dzingel
Ryan-Chlapik-Stone
Formenton-Tierney-Boedker
Paajarvi-White-Pyatt
McCormick

Chabot-RD
Lajoie-Ceci
Wolanin-Wideman
DeMelo

That would be a great thing to have Chlapik in between Ryan and Stone, 2 veteran high skilled players with good vision. We're not going for the Cup, so why not help Chlapik break out? I think he has the ability to do it, and we know that Stone makes others better. That'd be great for Ryan too, to help him rebound.

Ceci + Smith + Harpur for a RD. Anyone has ideas?

Reactions: czechcanadian

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Wait and see.. They are formed as an old school shut down pair to face the other teams top line(s) and they will be pinned in their end because they both need a faster PMD to help them get the puck out. Truth is Sens D is so shallow ... but I agree with Bert that the mindset is telling. Its Boucher trying to make the best of a bad situation and reverting to what he feels most comfortable with

I agree with the wait and see part.

However, again, the system is going to make a difference. In the past we did the 1-3-1, which put a ton of emphasis on the RD to be the sole source of the breakout. That was great with Karlsson here. But it also put a ton of strain on Ceci, who was always matched against the other team's top line, and had to be the breakout guy on his line in a system that that was designed for Karlsson. Without Karlsson, expect something different and more support for the D for the breakout. Boro said it specifically in one of the intermission interviews in pre-season that they'll be relying on the center to work harder this season to help with the breakout.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
We need to go Vegas-MTL (yesterday) style
No talent but speed and relentless work

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
Sure. Dzingel and Ryan's are top line players in Ottawa, that doesn't make them actual 1st line players.

If Hertl was an actual top line player then he wouldnt even be in the discussion as a player that should have been in the ek trade

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
We need to go Vegas-MTL (yesterday) style
No talent but speed and relentless work

@1:15 Talks about size and speed of the new guys like Boedker and the rookies. Then talks about "pace and in your face" is necessary for the rookies to make the team. That's why Formenton and Tkachuk made the team and Brown didn't.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Hertl steps up huge in the playoffs and the eye test indicates he's better than the numbers suggest. If he could find a little consistency this guy could be a legitimate complimentary top line player int he future (and honestly I think the Sharks are banking on him taking a step forward with Thornton/Pavelski on their last legs).

It still makes me sick that Dorion didn't get at least one of Hertl/Meier back.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Boucher isn't going to change from his usual MO, which is not changing anything the way he operates.
Yeah, anyone who actually thinks he's going to change is lying to themselves. How many times does a guy have to do something before you see the pattern? Expect to see lots of trap hockey while down by multiple goals and bad special teams play. That is Guy Boucher and he's never going to change.

Reactions: Boud

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Boucher isn't going to change from his usual MO, which is not changing anything the way he operates.

I'd be extremely surprised if he changed his style. Good thing is he seems to have changed the PP but otherwise I expect to see the same old stuff.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah, anyone who actually thinks he's going to change is lying to themselves. How many times does a guy have to do something before you see the pattern? Expect to see lots of trap hockey while down by multiple goals and bad special teams play. That is Guy Boucher and he's never going to change.

The comments (back then) from Dorion about him being on a short leash this year and that he'd have to rely more on young guys suggest that he has to change to continue his coaching career in the NHL. If he can't have his team to play more efficient "modern" hockey, he will be out of the NHL soon and HE KNOWS IT. No one should expect him to make the playoffs but he still has to reinvent himself.

I don't know how realizing this is "lying to yourself". It's either he changes and has a chance continuing a NHL career or he doesn't change and goes back to Europe with lesser salary.

Of course with Melnyk, things are always about saving money so Boucher could stay a little while even if the team completely busts. But that would still mean the end for Boucher in the NHL.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Low expectations.
I will be either laughing my ass off at Melnyk/Dorion incompetence and their failure of a team that only these two were refusing to acknowledge.
Or I will be pleasantly surprised.
Either way it should be fun.
Let's go!

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
When Benjvi broke the trade then said Hertl and Braun as likely return I was deeply hurt but realized we were getting back a top line player in Hertl.

When that didn't come to fruition I was even more gut wrenched but realized Meier will work well with our team. When we got none, that's an absolute pathetic joke, and we didn't even get Braun too. We got their worst top 9 player and worst top 6 defender. Absolutely pathetic.

What did you expect in return for a "rental" trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad