OT: Sens Lounge -The four seasons edition

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I am rubbing salt into a wound, I get it, But I am trying hard not to overly pile on.

You got screwed twice... Grandma and Grandpa did not leave you a dime, Mom and Dad will not leave you a dime...

AND.. all the government spending on them the last 60 years, has meant debts and broke government. And that money will come from your hide.

anyone born 1970 onwards is getting hit with enough lefts and rights, they will be begging to get kicked, just for a change.

As I answered earlier that it's more depending on the couple, when it comes to inheritance...and not how rich they are as my grandparents were poor, but it was about how important was it to leave things for your kids.

Where I agree so much is the government spending and the economy in general.

You have inflation rising faster than salaries...you have debt growing at insane speeds...

This can't go on for ever. There will be a breaking point. Just have no idea how that will happen.

Reactions: BigRig4

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
Because a lot of cottages for people who aren't super wealthy tend to be older and built by the owners. They also tend to have very large lots that need to be maintained.
When I was growing up I always associated going to the cottage as a step above camping because ours is a structure that was built by my grandfather and a couple buddies while half in the bag in the 60s.

Lakewater plumbing so no potable water, used an outhouse, bathed in the lake with biodegradable soap, no TV, no AC and it's not winterized.

I never really saw it as luxurious, but I am incredibly grateful to be able to fish and swim in a lake that's within an hour of the city.

And then ive been to some people's in the middle of January where we'd take a dip in the hot tub and then a joint in the sauna before we all sat down and streamed a movie on the Smart TV. Some people's "cottages" are just bougie second homes on the water.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
As I answered earlier that it's more depending on the couple, when it comes to inheritance...and not how rich they are as my grandparents were poor, but it was about how important was it to leave things for your kids.

You have inflation rising faster than salaries...you have debt growing at insane speeds...

This can't go on for ever. There will be a breaking point. Just have no idea how that will happen.
Now more than ever. Our children are going to have it hard, not finding a livable wage, as Canada is quickly getting old and they are going to make a killing replacing the aging population, but home ownership is going to be tough…

mysens

Apr 9, 2013

Don't forget the new added capital gain tax when you want to transfer the cottage owner deeds. This country is borderline third world. In fact, while traveling this summer in Italy, the populous there, once they hear I am from Canada, all ask what the hell is going on in your country,.you have crime rates higher than the most dangerous places in the world and why are you guys paying some tax to clean your air....the world is howling at us.

Reactions: Masked

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
It really depends on the people.

We have a big group here at the cottage...a dozen cottages with some having multiple families. The "parents" are 65-75ish. Born in the late 40 to early 60s.

There are 1 or 2 families that live beyond their means. You know, refinance mortgages so they can always be leasing 2 new cars...going on 1-2 trips a year...upgrading their house when their kids were moving out... basically,they're like 70 and their house is still almost fully owed and credit cards always maxed. Funny enough, their kids have the same mentality. Their daughter is 35 and still has like 40k of student debt and has travelled the world...but they live in his parents basement... The son saves a grand and immediately buys a toy he doesn't need. Like parents, like kids. Their kids will get nothing in inheritance.

Then almost every other parents up here had good jobs (doctors, teachers, principles, good government jobs, high tech) and they all kept their cars for 15 years, rarely went on trips, hoard things in the shed because "they can fix it" or "it might come in handy one day"

All those people are sitting on 6 figures for their children...enjoying retirement, and spending money, while still keeping a nest egg.

I would like to do the same. I was always taught to live within my means, so even when I was working minimum wage at sportchek for a decade, I was still able to save a good percentage of my money and invest it. As soon as I got an average job, I was in a position to buy a house. My partner is an accountant and great with budgets. So what do you get when 2 people join and both like to save all the money they can.

Savings add up quick.

Their kids will get a cottage and decent coin given to them.

My parents got decent inheritance from my grandparents...the house...the apartment...the money in the bank...it's enough to use to pay off your own mortgage and then life becomes to affordable and easy to save with you have like 2-4 thousand freed up every month.
Be careful of looking at a small section of society and expand it.

when my Father died, all he left us was "alone", but sadly "a Loan".

That reflects society more than your sub-set.

Ottawa is unique. Government wages and insane government pensions. The rest of Canada is no where near that. Many do not have two pennies to rub together.

It is why crazy things happen in this country. The Feds are in Ottawa, recession proof. AND THEY GET A DISTORTED VIEW OF LIFE.

Leave the Federallies here, but move the 380 or so parliamentarians to Winnipeg and see the changes.

A person living in the desert, cannot relate to winter. A person living in the artic, cannot relate to summer.

Wealth transfer ended some 15 years ago.. Form now one, we are on our own. And with what will be the single greatest taxation load in human history.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Don't forget the new added capital gain tax when you want to transfer the cottage owner deeds. This country is borderline third world. In fact, while traveling this summer in Italy, the populous there, once they hear I am from Canada, all ask what the hell is going on in your country,.you have crime rates higher than the most dangerous places in the world and why are you guys paying some tax to clean your air....the world is howling at us.
Italy gets the following as weather

~ -10 in winter in the extreme North, ~ +10 for the bulk of the nation. And this is as a low.
~ 0 in winter in the extreme North. ~ +20 as a high for the bulk of the nation, And that is as a high

now heat it...not much issues
Now food, grow in in the south, feed everyone

Canada ~ -20 as a low, ~ -5 as high in winter...Now heat it....now feed us

Italy: 300,000 KM^2 at .5% road ~ 10,000 KM of road at 1 M/km ~ 10 billion dollars.. over 30 years 333 million per year. Each Italian is committed to $ 5 for yearly road.

Canada: 10.000,00 Km^2 at 0.5% ~ 333,333 km of road at 900K/km ~ 300 billion dollars.. over 25 years (Harsher winter, destroys roads) = 12 billion per year. Each Canadian owes $300.

$5 versus $300 just for roads
needing food 7 out of 12 months
needing energy to heat 7 out of 12 months

A concrete sidewalk here: If built by cheap white concrete (Which is now common place), will be destroyed in 20-25 years
If built by higher strength (28 MPA) or higher, will last 50 years.

In Italy, you can make it out of paper and it will last forever. No salt use, No ground shifting, no temperature hammer between -20 and +30.

so change ~ 300,000 km of sidewalks every 25-50 years. at ~ 900k/km.. you have added 7 billion a year to road repair. Or another $170 per Canadian.

Do you want the exercise of schools, hospitals, parking lots, police stations, firehalls, army bases. federal/PROVINCIAL/MUNICIPAL BUILDINGS.

Now add vehicles, gas spent on warming them up. service due to salt damage and run hours.

we waste awfully bad..but, we live on earth's second most inhospitable land and its 2nd biggest.

We are f***ed by things we cannot control, and have failed to be pragmatic enough, disciplined enough to prioritize issues in our lives. So we waste and make the problem worst.

Let the North Atlantic current stop, Europe becomes Forth MacMurray and the Italians and all Europeans will immigrate to Canada to survive economic hardship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad