OT: Sens Lounge -The four seasons edition

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I am unsure why anybody would burn money by renting a cottage.

Our second vacation home is not ideal, but with daddy offering to cover the down payment and maintenance using his dividends from the family trust, it seemed like a no brainer.

I get it, I am on the poorer end of the spectrum here, unable to own our second vacation home outright, but daddy says when he passes, it goes to me.

I put all my money into my primary home at the time where the real estate value rises much faster.

I bought it for 650k and it’s already up to 1.2M in less than ten years.

You wouldn't. Trust me lol. Especially if it's close by.

Different strokes for different folks.

The idea of spending my free time doing maintenance on a second property isn’t appealing to me.

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I put all my money into my primary home at the time where the real estate value rises much faster.

I bought it for 650k and it’s already up to 1.2M in less than ten years.

Different strokes for different folks.

The idea of spending my free time doing maintenance on a second property isn’t appealing to me.

I don't understand why you would need to do much maintenance lol

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I am unsure why anybody would burn money by renting a cottage.

Our second vacation home is not ideal, but with daddy offering to cover the down payment and maintenance using his dividends from the family trust, it seemed like a no brainer.

I get it, I am on the poorer end of the spectrum here, unable to own our second vacation home outright, but daddy says when he passes, it goes to me.
I think bringing money is rather the other way. We were going to south Florida every six months for some time. So, I thought, maybe it’s better if we get our own home. Of course, I need it to be on the beach, in south beach Miami and be in a safe locale. Well, about 650k USD, plus yearly condo fees, insurance etc made me rethink this ultimate plan. Our family holiday in Miami at a nice resort was costing me about 7k for 14 days. That’s a crap load of holidays I can take my family on for 650k usd.
I admire all the cottage and summer home owners here. That’s amazing. But I prefer to just rent when I want. Leave when I want and not worry about anything else. My personality would render me guilty spending all this money on a cottage plus all the water toys only to be traveling somewhere else

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I don't understand why you would need to do much maintenance lol
It’s not necessarily just the home itself. You’re always wanting to improve the whole experience. So you buy boats, jet skis, water slides, water trampolines. Then for the winter you want snowmobiles etc. it’s a never ending money pit for someone like me who gets board sitting around reading books. But, I do love going to our friends cottages over the summer.
My waistline also increases in size

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad