OT: Sens Lounge -The four seasons edition

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
He will have an absolute blast!

Just remind him not to gun it once he gets out on the water!
He knows smaller boats. He had a 15' tin with a 30 on it. Casting platform front and back. It wasn't a tiller though and he hated it. He's also almost 80 now so I'm not worried about him racing. More worried about him not paying attention to how much power is left in the battery. Lol.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Didn't want to create a thread for this so I'm dropping it here.

I like to do some data analysis and I put together these statistical player comparisons. Basically it's the 'most similar players' for a handful of guys, based on statistical similarity in some stats going back ten years.

It's kind of preliminary but I was hoping to get some thoughts on whether these pass the "sniff" test. For context, this is only based on the last 10 years or so of data and it's largely comparing the players at their peaks, taking their stats relative to the rest of the league's players in a given year/position.

It also only includes a small number of basic stats at this point, so it's captures more stat production rather than actual playing style.

Thoughts? Do these seem accurate to people?

Any other player you'd like to see (sens or otherwise)?

Artem_Zub
[1] "Tucker Poolman (0.9)" "Derek Forbort (0.9)" "Matt Hunwick (0.9)"
[4] "Alexei Emelin (0.86)" "Brenden Dillon (0.86)" "Brandon Manning (0.85)"
[7] "Niko Mikkola (0.85)" "Calvin de Haan (0.84)" "Sheldon Brookbank (0.84)"

Brady_Tkachuk
[1] "Brenden Morrow (0.85)" "Scott Hartnell (0.84)" "Ryan Malone (0.84)"
[4] "Micheal Ferland (0.83)" "Alex Ovechkin (0.83)" "Ryane Clowe (0.82)"
[7] "Timo Meier (0.81)" "Nick Ritchie (0.81)" "Matthew Tkachuk (0.81)"

Claude_Giroux
[1] "Ryan O'Reilly (0.95)" "Sam Gagner (0.95)" "Connor McDavid (0.95)"
[4] "Mark Scheifele (0.94)" "Pavel Datsyuk (0.94)" "Patrice Bergeron (0.94)"
[7] "Ryan Strome (0.94)" "J.T. Miller (0.93)" "Leon Draisaitl (0.92)"

David_Perron
[1] "Justin Williams (0.93)" "Filip Forsberg (0.91)" "Joe Pavelski (0.91)"
[4] "Johan Franzen (0.91)" "Bryan Rust (0.9)" "Vladimir Tarasenko (0.9)"
[7] "Shane Doan (0.9)" "Corey Perry (0.9)" "James Neal (0.89)"

Drake_Batherson
[1] "Patric Hornqvist (0.93)" "Alexander Radulov (0.93)" "Kyle Palmieri (0.92)"
[4] "Alex Tuch (0.89)" "Alex Galchenyuk (0.86)" "Oliver Bjorkstrand (0.86)"
[7] "Joe Pavelski (0.86)" "Jarome Iginla (0.85)" "Bobby Ryan (0.85)"

Jacob_Bernard-Docker
[1] "Karlis Skrastins (0.87)" "Jaycob Megna (0.85)" "Hal Gill (0.82)"
[4] "Jeff Schultz (0.81)"

Jake_Sanderson
[1] "Joni Pitkanen (0.9)" "Noah Dobson (0.86)" "Evan Bouchard (0.86)"
[4] "Justin Schultz (0.86)" "David Schlemko (0.86)" "John Klingberg (0.85)"
[7] "Jamie McBain (0.82)" "Sami Salo (0.81)" "Lubomir Visnovsky (0.81)"

Josh_Norris
[1] "Steven Stamkos (0.87)" "Gabriel Vilardi (0.86)" "Auston Matthews (0.86)"
[4] "Brock Nelson (0.86)" "Vincent Lecavalier (0.85)" "Brayden Point (0.85)"
[7] "Matt Duchene (0.84)" "Sean Monahan (0.84)" "Rickard Rakell (0.84)"

Matthew_Highmore
[1] "Par Lindholm (0.95)" "Gaetan Haas (0.95)" "Ryan Johnson.1 (0.94)"
[4] "Michael Bournival (0.9)" "Philip Varone (0.88)" "Blair Jones (0.88)"
[7] "Byron Froese (0.87)" "Blair Betts (0.85)" "Tom Wandell (0.82)"

Michael_Amadio
[1] "Michael Bournival (0.82)"

Nick_Jensen
[1] "Toni Lydman (0.89)" "Andrew Ference (0.88)" "Alexander Sulzer (0.87)"
[4] "Erik Gustafsson.1 (0.84)" "Cody Ceci (0.83)" "Mikey Anderson (0.83)"
[7] "Carl Gunnarsson (0.82)" "John Marino (0.82)" "Michal Rozsival (0.81)"

Noah_Gregor
[1] "Luke Glendening (0.83)" "Darroll Powe (0.82)" "Brian Boyle (0.82)"

Rourke_Chartier
[1] "Petteri Nokelainen (0.95)" "Justin Dowling (0.93)" "Colby Cave (0.93)"
[4] "Maxime Macenauer (0.92)" "Kyle Rau (0.91)" "Matt Ellis (0.91)"
[7] "Tanner Laczynski (0.9)" "Mikhail Vorobyov (0.9)" "Adam Mair (0.89)"

Thomas_Chabot
[1] "P.K. Subban (0.93)" "Shayne Gostisbehere (0.92)" "Roman Josi (0.9)"
[4] "Zach Werenski (0.9)" "Torey Krug (0.9)" "John-Michael Liles (0.89)"
[7] "Josh Morrissey (0.89)" "Drew Doughty (0.89)" "Erik Karlsson (0.89)"

Tim_Stutzle
[1] "Roope Hintz (0.89)" "John Tavares (0.87)" "Nathan MacKinnon (0.87)"
[4] "Vincent Trocheck (0.87)" "Connor McDavid (0.86)" "Tage Thompson (0.85)"
[7] "Aleksander Barkov (0.85)" "Nick Suzuki (0.84)" "Bo Horvat (0.84)"

Travis_Hamonic
[1] "Zach Bogosian (0.93)" "Brayden McNabb (0.92)" "Braydon Coburn (0.9)"
[4] "Adam Larsson (0.9)" "Jacob Trouba (0.89)" "Scott Mayfield (0.89)"
[7] "Adam Pelech (0.89)" "MacKenzie Weegar (0.88)" "Connor Murphy (0.88)"

Zack_MacEwen
[1] "Mark Kastelic (0.98)" "Zac Rinaldo (0.97)" "John Hayden (0.95)"
[4] "Liam O'Brien (0.95)" "Andy Andreoff (0.94)" "Brad Malone (0.93)"
[7] "Michael Pezzetta (0.91)" "Kyle Chipchura (0.9)" "Maxim Lapierre (0.9)"

Daniel_Alfredsson
[1] "Gustav Nyquist (0.95)" "Blake Wheeler (0.94)" "Jason Pominville (0.93)"
[4] "Marian Hossa (0.92)" "Loui Eriksson (0.92)" "Jack Roslovic (0.92)"
[7] "Jordan Eberle (0.91)" "Ilya Kovalchuk (0.91)" "Filip Forsberg (0.9)"

Zdeno_Chara
[1] "Brady Skjei (0.96)" "Shea Weber (0.95)" "Mark Giordano (0.95)"
[4] "Mattias Ekholm (0.94)" "Jake Muzzin (0.94)" "Kris Letang (0.94)"
[7] "Johnny Boychuk (0.94)" "Justin Faulk (0.93)" "Hampus Lindholm (0.93)"

Connor_McDavid
[1] "Nathan MacKinnon (0.96)" "Jason Spezza (0.95)" "Sidney Crosby (0.95)"
[4] "Mark Scheifele (0.95)" "Leon Draisaitl (0.95)" "Claude Giroux (0.95)"
[7] "John Tavares (0.94)" "Clayton Keller (0.94)" "William Nylander (0.93)"
What do the decimal numbers mean?
Player X is 0.9 of the stats of player compared too?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He said it, but if I recall he explained on a recent podcast about how the sentiment of it was overblown because of the language barriers. Basically, like saying being picked number 1 is a big honour.

He went to the worst possible situation. I don't think it was the fault of management for not insulating him, because how were they realistically going to accomplish that? They had no real assets. They didn't have money. They weren't an attractive free agent destination.

I haven't seen the documentary yet, so I don't know if it covers this, but a big reason Daigle got the contract he did was because the Senators were already at risk to relocate. While I respect Bruce Firestone's hustle, and it doesn't seem like he did anything dishonest, let's be real, that ownership group probably should not have been first choice to get a team. We got the team partly because the NHL was busche league at that time and prioritized the groups who didn't blink at the upfront money rather than putting franchises in the best place for long-term success.

My timeline might be mixed up, but if I recall there were offers to move Ottawa to Anaheim when a bunch of stuff fell through related to financing and building the arena in Kanata. They couldn't realistically play at the Civic Centre long term. The Nordiques had commissioned a study about the marketing impact of Lindros, and both the Nordiques and Senators needed Daigle, not for his on ice ability, but for what his marketing appeal could do to help them secure investors and financing to build their arenas and avoid having to sell/relocate their teams. In fact, it's an urban legend that Daigle was seen as a generational star like Lindros or Gretzky. He was seen as a superstar 1st overall type, but Pronger very well could have gone #1.

All of the above is going off memory based off reading a few books years ago, so I could be entirely wrong. One thing I never understood about Bruce Firestone talking about the team is that he had an article a few years back talking about how he considered other locations for the arena, but I always interpreted that the team was only possible with his group because he had the scheme to buy up Kanata farmland around the arena and use the franchise as leverage to get it rezoned, which would cause the value of the land to shoot up and allow them to leverage it to the banks for the funds needed to buy the team. While I liked parts of Bruce Firestone's book, I would like if someone would write a straight forward chronological account of the business aspect of the first few years of the team while completely ignoring any personal stuff, or even any on ice stuff. Daigle was a big part of all that, apparently.

Along with Firestone's book, two other books that cover this era of the team to some extent are Road Games by Roy McGregor and The NHL A Centennial History by D'Arcy Jennish. Both available at the Ottawa library, or on Ottawa thrift store shelves near you.

Something like a 30 for 30 documentary on this could be very compelling, but I'm not sure how they find legitimate sources who will tell the complete story without contradicting themselves. At best, if there is any truth to Daigle's marketing value helping keep the team in Ottawa, it would be nice if that story was told because it certainly would shed a different light on his career and his legacy here.
Firestone said they inquired about LeBreton, got the run around and no commitment from the NCC.
He said publicly they would consider it, but was told privately, there was no chance.
So they went with the property they owned.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Team Canada couldn't have found a more epic way to lose the bronze medal game last night. Truly sad. Letting in that goal during extra time sucked but that penalty kick is the most disgusting display of skill one could do on the big stage.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
What do the decimal numbers mean?
Player X is 0.9 of the stats of player compared too?
It's a similarity measure called cosine similarity. It's basically 'how similar across all the stats it's fed'.

1 is identical stats across all measures. So it compares each players against every other player of the same position and spits out the most similar.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Firestone said they inquired about LeBreton, got the run around and no commitment from the NCC.
He said publicly they would consider it, but was told privately, there was no chance.
So they went with the property they owned.

I understand this, but it seems to contradict the original plan to leverage the franchise to have the government rezone the land from farmland (which would raise the value tremendously), and then leverage the asset to get the money to afford the franchise.

If I recall, Firestone's group simply didn't have the money for an NHL team otherwise. They were one of the only groups that didn't blink at the franchise fee, even if they didn't have it. The NHL seemed poorly run at the time, which I am glad, otherwise we would never have gotten a team here.

I'm not saying he is lying. I simply don't understand the order of events or why it was a possibility for that group to plan to build an arena anywhere other then Kanata, at least in the early stages.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Anyone know what was going on at CTC yesterday morning? I was driving to work and the place was packed.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
I understand this, but it seems to contradict the original plan to leverage the franchise to have the government rezone the land from farmland (which would raise the value tremendously), and then leverage the asset to get the money to afford the franchise.

If I recall, Firestone's group simply didn't have the money for an NHL team otherwise. They were one of the only groups that didn't blink at the franchise fee, even if they didn't have it. The NHL seemed poorly run at the time, which I am glad, otherwise we would never have gotten a team here.

I'm not saying he is lying. I simply don't understand the order of events or why it was a possibility for that group to plan to build an arena anywhere other then Kanata, at least in the early stages.
1990, Gretzky is in LA, the national hockey league is growing. Everyone is assuming Hurrah!!! the good times are here.

their step brother, the NBA. Had Magic and Bird and Jordan. They were, as a league, way smaller than the NHL was in 1978/79. Way less successful. The owner and main tenant of the Boston Gardens are the Bruins. Ditto for NY and the Gardens. Chicago, Detroit, Phili. By 1990, they NBA was massive.

And so John Zeigler assumed Shangri-La. Our turn. He assumed, everyone would jump in. NO ONE DID. So, he had egg on his face, as did the league and they accepted any bid that came.

Yes, the Ottawa bid was a near Ponzi scheme. The government saw it and stopped them. Now the original group was backed into a corner. They salvaged things as best as they can and we are today, where we are!

The hope remained that out of chaos, we can still get something good. The moratorium on construction on the land was a fixed time. In 1995/96, Kanata was assumed to be silicon valley North. The hope was by 2015/2016 Kanata is now San Jose.

By 2000/2001 Kanata and silicon valley north went PPPFFFTTTTT.... Remember the ads for "job agent". Let us negotiate your work terms for you. See if they were still running by 2000/2001. Torontonians who flocked here for work, ran right back out.

Now as for Daigle. I saw him play in a QMJHL/OHL All-Star game in 1992. At the old Montreal Forum. Chris Pronger was there for the OHL squad. All he did was float. He hung around the blue line and looked for breakaways. It was a joke watching him.

Once he got here, and played against men. Against structured NHL players. Against players with the size and speed to keep up and pound him into submission. He was finished.

he entered the NHL when Jacques Lemaire was running things. When the trap was king. When you could mug players and get away with it. When guys like Lindros were getting their brains beaten in. Daigle never stood a chance.

Draft a player for Sales and Marketing and this is the result. Pronger or Paul Karya were way better choices. But a Ponzi scheme needed "Vanna White".

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Best of luck to Canada's women's' basketball team

7 players from the GTA
2 from Eastern Ontario (Kingston and Sudbury)
2 from Montreal
1 Albertan

This is about as close to team Ontario as it gets

Reactions: bicboi64

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
I was on Bikenashbar just now. I had not been on there in a while. I am all tapped out when it comes to buying cycling stuff.

the industry is dying, and so it is hanging on for dear life.

Prices are lower than they were 20 years ago.

Look Delta cleats, which I have been buying for some 22 years are today $13-$15 (usd). They were $13-$15 usd in 2002.

We complain about inflation... Here is a suggestion. Stop consuming. Lower demand. It will cause over supply and a collapse in pricing.

Walk more and watch gas prices collapse.

$13 in 2024 for Look Delta cleats!!! unreal. They should have been $30.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
We complain about inflation... Here is a suggestion. Stop consuming. Lower demand. It will cause over supply and a collapse in pricing.
The cost to manufacture those things have already been paid. All this will do will destroy the market cause those companies to file for bankruptcy, and then the corporations slide in and buy it all up for pennies on the dollar and get a foot hold in a market where they should not be, corner the market, and sell you inferior quality at higher prices.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
Yeah was just cars. People seemed to be dressed fairly nice. Someone mentioned it may be a Jehovah Witness convention lol
Should've went and started knocking on the door, give em a taste of their own medicine

Reactions: Daffy

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Screw this never ending rain and a leaky roof 2.5 weeks into a new rental
make sure you dry things as best as you can.. Mold is dangerous. Disinfect with some cleaning agent afterwards.

Sorry to hear about your trouble.

I have benefited. More green in my yard than in the last 20 years. Tomato plants however are seeking the light and are now 5 feet tall!! meaning, all their energy is towards growth and not fruit generation!!! making them spindly and once tomatoes grow, they will break the vines and die. UGGGHH. All that effort.

Reactions: Blotto71

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Shapiro and Atkins have destroyed the Jays. Nice work on renovations in Dunedain and Toronto, great facilities...but man did they misfire on the roster.
And to think Anthopoulos won a world series in Atlanta.. who would've thunk it??????? the guy has not missed the playoffs in his 8 years since leaving.

Never move on from a good Greek boy from Montréal... I would caution you about a Greek girl form Montréal though!

• Haha
Reactions: Blotto71

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Screw this never ending rain and a leaky roof 2.5 weeks into a new rental
Hope your landlord jumped on this right away. If you have any part of the rental that you cannot use due to the leak and mess, make sure you ask for an abatement of rent relative to the room/rooms not able to use.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
And to think Anthopoulos won a world series in Atlanta.. who would've thunk it??????? the guy has not missed the playoffs in his 8 years since leaving.

Never move on from a good Greek boy from Montréal... I would caution you about a Greek girl form Montréal though!
I was/am a huge Anthopoulos fan. Dude was a gambler, and a lot of his early gambles misfired, but, kind of like with the DeBrincat deal it brought the excitement back to town, and the fans started showing up and Rogers was willing to spend again. For his own sake leaving Toronto was good though, he got to learn some more from Friedman in LA, and by the time he made it to Atlanta he could do no wrong. Super hard worker, no ego, always learning, always hustling.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Shapiro and Atkins have destroyed the Jays. Nice work on renovations in Dunedain and Toronto, great facilities...but man did they misfire on the roster.
Yeah, it all started with their attempt to "change the culture" by trading Gurriel and Teoscar. The offense dried out instantly. And they doubled up on their mistake a year later by bringing back Kiermaier for $9M, even though they already have Varsho to play CF. And now Kiermaier is on waivers lol.

Not to mention their farm is empty. They went for "safe" picks, but the best they could do with some of them was trade them before their value tanked.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There

A buddy of mine went to school with Alex and has nothing but good things to say about him. Not surprised he's found success.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad