Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't see the team as better. It just got worse. We lost two young homegrown roster players. You think the Oilers are going to win a championship now?

You should have serious doubts about it. I sure do.
I think writing them off as having no chance at a championship is ridiculous. They have the exact same hole on the blueline that they had a week ago - 2RD, but more flexibility and assets to fill that hole. Losing Holloway is losing a bottom six LW. That's replaceable. Losing Broberg is losing a ton of potential, but not a lot of results, and certainly not a guaranteed fix to the 2RD problem. This team is still a contender.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Possibly but the team f**ked this up bigtime and now they paid a price.
Broberg would have been a fool not to take that deal and money clearly wasnt the only factor.
St Louis wont f**k up in the same way because they will play Broberg on his natural side and give him a solid D partner.
Much like the Oilers did with Bouchard pairing him with Ekholm.

I dont think for a minute that Bouchard would have developed like he did without Ekholm. Just imagine if the team forced Bouchard to develop on his off side?
It wouldnt have gone well and luckily Bouchard was a RHD (and they didnt have a weakness on the left side) so they didnt have to force him to play the left side.
As an Oiler fan I take no pleasure in posting this stuff on Broberg but I am not going to just pretend that this is all on the player either.
It isnt...most of this is on the organization and more specifically Ken Holland.
I think you are vastly overestimating how many games Broberg played on his off side.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I don't see the team as better. It just got worse. We lost two young skilled homegrown roster players. You think the Oilers are going to win a championship now?

You can be the one to create the Broberg appreciated thread

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
This likely cost the Oilers their only viable path to the cup. Party on.

Ah yes, their one viable path, visible only in August and with Broberg on it.

Functioning in a society must be an absolute chore for you.

You know what would have been completely viable? Crossing your fingers and hoping Broberg doesn’t become a literally untradeable $4.5 million cap space black hole with absolutely no way to fix it.

Why are you acting like there was no risk? (That’s rhetorical - we all know the answer)

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I don't see the team as better. It just got worse. We just lost two young homegrown roster players. You think the Oilers are going to win a championship now?

Podkolzin easily replaces what Holloway brought minus a bit of foot speed. He’s also been healthier so far in his career. If you really believe that these two are the difference between a cup and no cup I don’t know what to say. The team is better now than they were in game 7 except for a few guys on D. The forwards are much improved and Emberson played for KK so he knows what the player is capable of. Add in a healthy Stetcher and Josh Brown and we are really pretty close to the same on the D as we were last year except younger and faster.

Reactions: McBooya42

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Lol, can I have same shit you've been smoking? I want to lose my sense of reality too...
Don't convince yourself Broberg and Holloway are not good players.

If they match, they are screwed. If they don't match they are screwed. It's all the same.

We're screwed, I don't believe the Oilers will win the Cup now and I don't see how this wasn't a targeted move to prevent the possibility of the Oilers winning the cup.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So you want to be a development team and not a contender. We are a better team with Kulak on it than we are with Broberg on it.
This is true but good teams also need to find room for a young player because they need the ELC's to help with the depth.
When all the depth positions are held by more expensive vets then you have a problem.
Especially on a top heavy team like this one.

bleatbloop

Aug 20, 2024
This likely cost the Oilers their only viable path to the cup. Party on.
There's no way you're serious. The username indicating obvious and understandable bias, but still.

4.5 for Broberg leaves a variable that is way too volatile over the next two years, which coincidentally IS our Cup window. 1-2 more years until those big contracts kick in. We are meant to already have a Cup or two if you look at teams like Chi/LA/Pitt and their trajectory.

Best case scenario is we eek one out while not meant to, a la Washington.

We use the cap space afforded to us by not matching these contracts plus moving out guys like Ceci and we spend as big as we can at the deadline.

Reactions: Sanchez

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023

If they match, they are screwed. If they don't match they are screwed. It's all the same.

We're screwed, I don't believe the Oilers will win the Cup now and I don't see how this wasn't a targeted move to prevent the possibility of the Oilers winning the cup
They looked good in their limited ice time. Neither of them has played a full season. It sucks to lose them but you can't pay some untested prospect over 4 million dollars when he hasn't proven anything yet.

I don't think we're screwed because of no Broberg. Oddly enough the actual cup winners made fantastic in season defensive acquisitions. It wasn't acquiring prospects like Broberg but actual NHL veterans.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
So dumb when you really think about it if neither player in the eyes of the organization was worth matching than you didn't see them as long term oilers which begs the question why the f*** didn't you trade them for buchnevich? Adding him could have been the deciding factor to a cup win and you wouldn't part with two players you do easily walked away from two months later

Where are we getting the idea St. Louis would have ever considered that?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This is true but good teams also need to find room for a young player because they need the ELC's to help with the depth.
When all the depth positions are held by more expensive vets then you have a problem.
Especially on a top heavy team like this one.
I think the only thing the Oilers are guilty of with Broberg, is not being open to trading him earlier. It was obvious years ago that he was never going to have a spot on the left side of the main club. He just wasn't. If he didn't want to play right side, then they should have traded him a year or two ago.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think a lot of people are forgetting that most people here would have had neither of these players dressed going into the playoffs, period. Broberg would have had all of about 0 people thinking he should be in while Holloway had his supporters, but probably not a majority.

I don't think that flashes in the playoffs are nearly enough to justify the money or the risk. Every SC finalist has a few players that step up and surprise, key is to not get drunk on it.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
They came so close...

GVTYvLqWwAAm8mD.jpg

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Ah yes, their one viable path, visible only in August and with Broberg on it.

Functioning in a society must be an absolute chore for you.

You know what would have been completely viable? Crossing your fingers and hoping Broberg doesn’t become a literally untradeable $4.5 million cap space black hole with absolutely no way to fix it.

Why are you acting like there was no risk? (That’s rhetorical - we all know the answer)
We will certainly see.

And this isn't all about the St. Louis Blues. It doesn't matter if the Blues make the playoffs or they miss the playoffs. This is about about Bettman's NHL vision and making money for the board of governors.

Do you think they are happy at the thought of the Blues making the playoffs over on calgarypuck? No, they are overjoyed because they know our aspirations are likely down the shitter. For good.

Why don't you go have a look.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think you are vastly overestimating how many games Broberg played on his off side.
Lets assume that I am making that mistake...what sense does it make in terms pf player development to flip a developing player from side to side when he is trying to get his footing in the NHL.
Borgerg was played on the right side almost predominantly in Bakersfield because the RHD depth was weak down there too.

So lets play this out...Broberg is expected to make the next step by having him play in the developmental League (the AHL) and then flipping him back to his natural side when he is in the NHL...he predictably struggles.
So the teams solution with a struggling young dman was to put him on the wrong wing?
How is that going to help a struggling young player expidite his development?

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

We're screwed, I don't believe the Oilers will win the Cup now and I don't see how this wasn't a targeted move to prevent the possibility of the Oilers winning the cup.
Lol you're such a troll, you were being reasonable about this a week ago. You're just trying to rile people up who aren't familiar with what you come on here for.

TameYew

Oct 24, 2016

We are not one Holloway and Broberg away from winning a cup. We are one legitimate 2nd pairing RD (who can distribute the puck) away from winning a cup. There is a difference. Holloway played 38 games during the regular season. He had potential to play up the lineup but did not secure a spot there.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
We will certainly see.

And this isn't all about the St. Louis Blues. It doesn't matter if the Blues make the playoffs or they miss the playoffs. This is about about Bettman's NHL vision and making money for the board of governors.

Do you think they are happy at the thought of the Blues making the playoffs over on calgarypuck? No, they are overjoyed because they know our aspirations are likely down the shitter. For good.

Why don't you go have a look.
We don’t care how all your Flame fan buddies at CP feel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad